What's new

RT-AC86u router acting strangely

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ingeborgdot

Regular Contributor
I installed a router for a friend of mine. It is the 86u. He is having issues with it though. If he goes on the router and links to the main SSID name, all it does is sit and buffer most of the time he says. He will then switch to the guest and it works perfectly, so he is content with just using the guest. I don't like that so I am trying to find out what I can do to make it work properly. What settings do I need to change? I am not an expert with this for sure. I'm just helping out a friend is all.
Thanks.

I installed a router for a friend of mine. It is the 86u. He is having issues with it though. If he goes on the router and links to the main SSID name, all it does is sit and buffer most of the time he says. He will then switch to the guest and it works perfectly, so he is content with just using the guest. I don't like that so I am trying to find out what I can do to make it work properly. What settings do I need to change? I am not an expert with this for sure. I'm just helping out a friend is all.
Thanks.

My install notes suggest a basic 86U configuration. Be sure to install the latest firmware and then reset it before configuration. Ignore the AiMesh bits.

Don't mind the notes... they look worse than they are... it's rather simple once you find the settings. In fact... tell him to do it himself and you are off the hook.

OE

Well, he is a quadriplegic, so I think I need to help him as he can't do it himself. I'm just trying to be the good Samaritan.

Well, he is a quadriplegic, so I think I need to help him as he can't do it himself. I'm just trying to be the good Samaritan.

I assumed that since you, a non-expert, are helping him. My tongue in cheek suggestion was to encourage you to get on with fixing the router install. Truth be told, most people can't do it... setup a network.

OE

I have worked with many routers but am far from an expert for sure. The UI is just a little different. Thanks for your notes as I will be looking through them.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!