What's new

RT-AC86U Settings

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

networknewb

New Around Here
Just 'upgraded' to RT-AC86U during blk friday sale and after looking through several threads am wondering if there is a definitive thread that shows best settings for the 2GHz and 5GHz wireless settings?

Have seen bunch of reviews of this model having 2.4GHz radio failure as well, hope this isn't that common?

Last edited:
Just 'upgraded' to RT-AC68U during blk friday sale and after looking through several threads am wondering if there is a definitive thread that shows best settings for the 2GHz and 5GHz wireless settings?

Have seen bunch of reviews of this model having 2.4GHz radio failure as well, hope this isn't that common?
There is no "best settings" because every environment and situation is different. Start with the defaults and see how that works. If you aren't "meshing" it isn't very tricky.
That said, many people turn off airtime fairness and any beam-forming options in the 2.4 & 5 GHz Professional settings. You could play with QOS but again, every environment is different. I left those off because my ISP bandwidth is good and limiting had adverse effects.

My mistake, I should have posted as RT-AC86U.... thank you for pointing this out, I will correct the thread title and my post:)

Screen Shot 2018-12-10 at 2.32.45 PM.jpg
If you are that concerned about your WiFi signal, I would recommend installing a WiFi monitor app to not only tell you about your router but also who may be stepping on your signal. Here is an example of the WiFi signals around me.

Just 'upgraded' to RT-AC86U during blk friday sale and after looking through several threads am wondering if there is a definitive thread that shows best settings for the 2GHz and 5GHz wireless settings?

My baseline 86U configuration in this post may suit you.

I've worked on six 86Us and have not seen a radio failure. I wouldn't worry about something that should not happen.

OE

I would start with default settings with these modifications:

Wireless 2.4 GHz Professional
Airtime Fairness - Disable (causes connectivity issues for various devices, including wireless printers)
Universal Beamforming - Disable (non-standard, might cause compatibility issues with some clients)

Wireless 5 GHz Professional
Airtime Fairness - Disable

LAN - Switch Control
Spanning-Tree Protocol - Disable

If you experience wifi issues I would make the following changes one at a time until you figure out which setting fixes your issue.

Wireless 2.4 GHz Professional
Turbo QAM - Disable
Multi-User MIMO - Disable (not an option on all models)
Explicit Beamforming - Disable

Wireless 5 GHz Professional
Universal Beamforming - Disable

If you experience wifi issues I would make the following changes one at a time until you figure out which setting fixes your issue.

I would move this to the top of your post and start with Airtime Fairness.

And I would return to a default setting if a change does not fix the issue.

If using AiMesh, I believe disabling MIMO/Beam Forming (one or the other... can't recall exactly) reduces the speed of a wireless backhaul a bit. I also get the impression that beam forming improves a wireless client's link rate over time... not sure if that's true but it seems something does have this affect... wireless client connection speeds get better with time. If so, then it may be worth maintaining the default settings, if not causing issues.

OE

Don't see much on LAN switch control, so I shut it off to test. I recognize and use the other settings with good results.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!