What's new

RT-AC86U: skip version 384.11_2 to version 386.7_2: risky?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bong!

Occasional Visitor
Good morning.

I have lost contact with the forum for a few years and I am a little lost between all the changes and improvements hence the question about an RT-AC86U: skipping the version
384.11_2 to the latest version ( 386.7_2 ) would it be risky?
Would there be any precautions to be taken outside the backup offered by the "Save setting" option?

Good morning.

I have lost contact with the forum for a few years and I am a little lost between all the changes and improvements hence the question about an RT-AC86U: skipping the version
384.11_2 to the latest version ( 386.7_2 ) would it be risky?
Would there be any precautions to be taken outside the backup offered by the "Save setting" option?
The guy to ask, that would know the correct procedure and whether a default reset and manual config is necessary, would be @L&LD I just tagged him so when he gets time he will answer.

Lots of information here:

Of particular interest…

384.19 (14-Aug-2020)
- NOTE: Due to flash partitioning changes done by Asus, it is
strongly recommended to make a backup of your JFFS
partition before upgrading the RT-AC86U, and restoring
that backup afterward. If you run into issues,
reformat your JFFS partition and reboot.

I do not like 386.7_2 on my new AX routers and AC5300, but it’s been fine on my AC68U’s.
I’d probably factory reset before and after the upgrade.

As said above, I would not recommend an upgrade... you can certainly flash the new version, but be prepared to setup from scratch. Also, do NOT restore the backup from the older version. If you need to go back to the older version, then you can restore the backup there, to get back to a working state.

Lots of information here:

Of particular interest…

384.19 (14-Aug-2020)
- NOTE: Due to flash partitioning changes done by Asus, it is
strongly recommended to make a backup of your JFFS
partition before upgrading the RT-AC86U, and restoring
that backup afterward. If you run into issues,
reformat your JFFS partition and reboot.
JFFS partition? I haven't any disk on USB port of the router?

As said above, I would not recommend an upgrade... you can certainly flash the new version, but be prepared to setup from scratch. Also, do NOT restore the backup from the older version. If you need to go back to the older version, then you can restore the backup there, to get back to a working state.
"you can certainly flash the new version" from 384.11_2 to the latest version ( 386.7_2 ) in one step? For the rest, I suspect that the backups of the current version are not useful on a version so different that 386.7_2 must be. Another question that I ask myself is: if it ever worked wrong will it be possible to re-install my current version without worries, or is there an erasure of something to do??

"you can certainly flash the new version" from 384.11_2 to the latest version ( 386.7_2 ) in one step? For the rest, I suspect that the backups of the current version are not useful on a version so different that 386.7_2 must be. Another question that I ask myself is: if it ever worked wrong will it be possible to re-install my current version without worries, or is there an erasure of something to do??

Going forward or backward that far you will want to reset to factory settings before and after, and format jffs (even if you aren't using it). Do not restore a backup of settings. There are several posts on here with the procedure to follow.

Long story short, this is what I usually do if I remember correctly:

Factory reset (via GUI or physical button doesn't seem to matter)
Minimal config just to get into router
upgrade software
minimal config just to get in
let CPU settle - going that far could take 20-30 mins in some cases, you may not even be able to get in for a while
factory reset
minimal config to get in
let cpu settle
format jffs on next reboot
reboot
configure the rest of your stuff manually, not from backup

Many thanks. I'm sticking to it next wekk-it's too snowy to go out...

Thank you all very much

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!