What's new

RT-AC86U using RT-N66U as repeater not working

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Baz8755

Occasional Visitor
So I upgraded(?) from my not so trusty RT-N66U to a shiny new RT-AC86U in the hope of getting a little more wi-fi range. Unfortunately I occasionally need a little more than it can provide so decided to recycle the RT-N66U as a repeater.

However no matter how much I try I cannot get this arrangement to work as the the RT-N66U refuses to connect to the RT-AC86U.

All routers are running the latest official firmware although I have also tried Merlin on the RT-N66U.

I have also tried removing wi-fi MAC security from the RT-AC86U as well as adding the RT-N66U to the permitted list.

The other thing I have tried is making sure that the RT-N66U SSID's differ from the ones used on the RT-AC86U but ideally I'd like them to match.

Also the RT-AC86U is on ip 192.168.0.1 and the RT-N66U is on 192.168.0.254 but I did try it as 192.168.1.1 as well with no success.

I am at the point of admitting defeat unless anyone out there has any ideas what the issue may be.

Cheers

Baz

Try Asuswrt-Merlin 380.66 on your RT-N66U.
Never tried Repeater mode, but Media Bridge doesn't work right on 380.70.
My router is RT-AC66U, bit it's a same hardware device as RT-N66U, except for the radios.

Unfortunately Asuswrt-Merlin 380.66 made no difference

I even tried making my host network open rather than WPA but nothing can persuade it to connect

I have also tried removing wi-fi MAC security
RT-N66U is on 192.168.0.254

Are you sure everything is set properly?
MAC security is disabled by default, repeater IP is assigned by DHCP by default. RT-N66U is a N router, is 5GHz network on RT-AC86U set on Auto? Didn't you forget something preventing the connection? I switched my RT-AC66U to Repeater Mode for test purposes and it connects to RT-AC86U in seconds. Both RT-N66U and RT-AC66U have exactly the same BCM4706 CPU and the same BCM4331 2.4GHz radio. Can yours connect to 2.4GHz network?

Change some of your Wireless settings on RT-AC86U for maximum compatibility and test again:

Wireless mode - Auto
Protected Management Frames - Disabled
Bluetooth Coexistence - Disabled
Roaming Assistant - Disabled
Enable TX Bursting - Disabled
Modulation Scheme - up to N for 2.4GHz, up to AC for 5GHz
Airtime Fairness - Disabled
Multi-User MIMO - Disabled
Beamforming - Disabled (both options)

If RT-N66U still refuses to connect, something must be wrong with it.

I eventually got it working by reflashing latest official ASUS firmware and doing a factory reset. I did a few more tests and it appears that whenever I load the old config for when it was in router mode and go into admin and switch to repeater mode it never works. However doing a factory reset and configuring as repeater from there it seems to work.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!