1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice

Welcome To SNBForums

SNBForums is a community for anyone who wants to learn about or discuss the latest in wireless routers, network storage and the ins and outs of building and maintaining a small network.

If you'd like to post a question, simply register and have at it!

While you're at it, please check out SmallNetBuilder for product reviews and our famous Router Charts, Ranker and plenty more!

RT-AC86U using RT-N66U as repeater not working

Discussion in 'ASUS AC Routers & Adapters' started by Baz8755, Aug 23, 2019.

1. Baz8755

Baz8755 Occasional Visitor

So I upgraded(?) from my not so trusty RT-N66U to a shiny new RT-AC86U in the hope of getting a little more wi-fi range. Unfortunately I occasionally need a little more than it can provide so decided to recycle the RT-N66U as a repeater.

However no matter how much I try I cannot get this arrangement to work as the the RT-N66U refuses to connect to the RT-AC86U.

All routers are running the latest official firmware although I have also tried Merlin on the RT-N66U.

I have also tried removing wi-fi MAC security from the RT-AC86U as well as adding the RT-N66U to the permitted list.

The other thing I have tried is making sure that the RT-N66U SSID's differ from the ones used on the RT-AC86U but ideally I'd like them to match.

Also the RT-AC86U is on ip 192.168.0.1 and the RT-N66U is on 192.168.0.254 but I did try it as 192.168.1.1 as well with no success.

I am at the point of admitting defeat unless anyone out there has any ideas what the issue may be.

Cheers

Baz

2. Val D.

Val D. Senior Member

Try Asuswrt-Merlin 380.66 on your RT-N66U.
    Never tried Repeater mode, but Media Bridge doesn't work right on 380.70.
    My router is RT-AC66U, bit it's a same hardware device as RT-N66U, except for the radios.

3. Baz8755

Thanks, I'll give that a go

4. Baz8755

Unfortunately Asuswrt-Merlin 380.66 made no difference

I even tried making my host network open rather than WPA but nothing can persuade it to connect

5. Val D.

Val D. Senior Member

Are you sure everything is set properly?
    MAC security is disabled by default, repeater IP is assigned by DHCP by default. RT-N66U is a N router, is 5GHz network on RT-AC86U set on Auto? Didn't you forget something preventing the connection? I switched my RT-AC66U to Repeater Mode for test purposes and it connects to RT-AC86U in seconds. Both RT-N66U and RT-AC66U have exactly the same BCM4706 CPU and the same BCM4331 2.4GHz radio. Can yours connect to 2.4GHz network?

Change some of your Wireless settings on RT-AC86U for maximum compatibility and test again:

Wireless mode - Auto
    Protected Management Frames - Disabled
    Bluetooth Coexistence - Disabled
    Roaming Assistant - Disabled
    Enable TX Bursting - Disabled
    Modulation Scheme - up to N for 2.4GHz, up to AC for 5GHz
    Airtime Fairness - Disabled
    Multi-User MIMO - Disabled
    Beamforming - Disabled (both options)

If RT-N66U still refuses to connect, something must be wrong with it.

6. Baz8755

I eventually got it working by reflashing latest official ASUS firmware and doing a factory reset. I did a few more tests and it appears that whenever I load the old config for when it was in router mode and go into admin and switch to repeater mode it never works. However doing a factory reset and configuring as repeater from there it seems to work.