What's new

[RT-AC86U] what are the differences between European and Asian variants?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Currently i have 2 pieces of 86u
One piece was bought from Gearbest and has chinese bootloader. Chinese one has unlocked option to choose WiFi region.

Second unit i bought in Poland from official, european distribution and that one has polish bootloader and also WiFi region changing is unavailable. I have bought second one because i experienced problem with 2.4 g radio on chinese one. May it be independent but so far so good.

What was the problem with the 2.4G for you?
What hw version do you have?

< Sent from mobile >

Both devices are how version 1.5 but came to me with other firmwares.

I have not noticed differences in signal strenght and i can’t check it currently because broken chinese router has been sold.

My problems with that unit were different, innitialy 2.4 kept disconnecting devices, then radio dissapeared completely, then came back and worked normally, then started to be very unstable and very slow...lots of adventures with that router.

I tried all available firmwares, Asus Merlin and stock flashed and initialized via webgui as well as via rescue mode.

Gearbest, informed via mail, decided to give me a refund.

Last edited:
Both devices are how version 1.5 but came to me with other firmwares.

I have not noticed differences in signal strenght and i can’t check it currently because broken chinese router has been sold.

My problems with that unit were different, innitialy 2.4 kept disconnecting devices, then radio dissapeared completely, then came back and worked normally, then started to be very unstable and very slow...lots of adventures with that router.

I tried all available firmwares, Asus Merlin and stock flashed and initialized via webgui as well as via rescue mode.

Gearbest, informed via mail, decided to give me a refund.
Ok. I've mostly seen people with "native" versions have problems so I don't think that is the factor.
In my case I believe my Shield TV is somehow interfering with my 2.4G. I've seen other users with the same interference.

Ok. I've mostly seen people with "native" versions have problems so I don't think that is the factor.
In my case I believe my Shield TV is somehow interfering with my 2.4G. I've seen other users with the same interference.

Bluetooth will interfere with 2.4 GHz networks. You can help things by enabling BT co-existance on your router's wifi settings if your model supports it.

tested both with/out BT coexistance, no differences for me, even turned BT off on mobile to have no active BT device!

But maybe it is something with QAM MCS8/9, I get much much better and more constant speed with disabled?!?!?

Last edited:
I had a phone call with the buyer of my sold unit. In fully different enviroment that router has similar problems with 2.4g radio. There is no relation between connected deviceses and router problems in my opinion.

Wysłane z mojego LG-H870 przy użyciu Tapatalka

Bluetooth will interfere with 2.4 GHz networks. You can help things by enabling BT co-existance on your router's wifi settings if your model supports it.
I have tried the enable and pre-eptive. It didn't help. This device use wifi-direct for the old controllers, but disconnecting them didn't help. I'm running on Ethernet cable but the wifi can't be turned off.
I've found another user with possibly the same problem here: https://www.reddit.com/r/ShieldAndroidTV/comments/7qgtz7/shield_interfering_with_my_wifi_signal/

I had a phone call with the buyer of my sold unit. In fully different enviroment that router has similar problems with 2.4g radio. There is no relation between connected deviceses and router problems in my opinion.

Wysłane z mojego LG-H870 przy użyciu Tapatalka
But I can see this problem on my 68U too, little bit better or more often not that bad but they are on both units, and 68U has been ok a year ago.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!