What's new

RT ac86u

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Tom edwards

Occasional Visitor
Hi.
Newbie to forum would like some guidance with adding a new router to my network to replace my current virgin media hub 3 fibre modem with this Asus unit.
I understand that the VM router needs to be put in modem mode,but that's about my knowledge limit!!
If anyone can elaborate as to the procedure or guidance to get the best from the new router,It would be very helpful.
Look forward to hearing from anyone that can help.
Thanks.

Choose the option to switch to modem mode. Wait while the Hub to reboots.

Connect your Asus' WAN port to one of the Hub's LAN ports and turn it on.

Connect a cable between your PC and one of the Asus' LAN ports.

Go to http://router.asus.com/ and you should be at the setup menu.

Last edited:

Choose the option to switch to modem mode. Wait while the Hub to reboots.

Connect your Asus' WAN port to one on the Hub's LAN ports and turn it on.

Connect a cable between your PC and one of the Asus' LAN ports.

Go to http://router.asus.com/ and you should be at the setup menu.
Ok thanks Colin. Will try tomorrow and get back to the forum if I encounter problems,thanks.
Tom

Good luck. But to be honest it's really straight forward.

Very occasionally you might have an issue where the Hub can't connect to the internet after switching to modem mode for the first time. If you experience this, just power everything off and wait a couple of minutes. Then turn the Hub back on, wait a couple of minutes for it to fully boot up, and then turn on the Asus.

Let us know how you get on.

Good luck. But to be honest it's really straight forward.

Very occasionally you might have an issue where the Hub can't connect to the internet after switching to modem mode for the first time. If you experience this, just power everything off and wait a couple of minutes. Then turn the Hub back on, wait a couple of minutes for it to fully boot up, and then turn on the Asus.

Let us know how you get on.
Hi Colin.
Well I managed to get router working ok.
Only problem I have is signing into router to alter settings via the Asus website?
I have the router webpage(router.asus.com) but am unable to login with my username and password?? I assume the username is the said I set on set and am using the correct person,but I'm unable to access??
Ant help appreciated.
Thanks

Hi sorry typo error!!
Meant to say the username would be the name I set as the ssid and the password would obviously be my pw I set during setup?? Confused!!!
Thanks

No, the user name is different from the SSIDs. Both of which have their own separate passwords. So the default username is "admin", the default SSID is something like ASUS.

Hi Colin.
Thanks for reply, I managed to get there in the end!! I was trying to login with the ssid username and pw!!!
I've remembered and wrote down the correct password for router login now.
Out of interest are there any particular settings to change in the configuration, essentially I'd like to improve signal strength to my daughter 's devices at rear of house upstairs and to my son's
PS4 at rest of house. Whish frequency is best for these areas/devices??
Many thanks
Tom
QUOTE="ColinTaylor, post: 465325, member: 27699"]No, the user name is different from the SSIDs. Both of which have their own separate passwords. So the default username is "admin", the default SSID is something like ASUS.[/QUOTE]

There's not a lot you can do in the settings that will effect range and area. Although that said, check out the Wireless - Professional page for each frequency band. There used to be a "TX Power" setting there but I think it was removed long ago.

On the 2.4GHz band set the bandwidth to 20MHz. Use a "WiFi Analyser" app on your phone to try and find the clearest channel out of 1, 6 and 11 and set that manually on the router. On 5GHz set the bandwidth to 20/40/80MHz. Choose a channel between 36 and 48.

Turning off Airtime Fairness and Universal Beamforming (on each band) is probably a good idea too.

But by far the most influential thing is where you position the router, and to a lesser extent how you position the antennas. Because radio signals are blocked and reflected by solid objects to varying degrees the only way to find the optimum position is by trial and error. But ideally it would be placed near the centre of the house, high up (maybe on the top of a bookcase). The worst position would be in the corner of the house behind the TV (i.e. a typical Virgin Media installation :rolleyes:).

Last edited:
P.S. Did you buy your router from a UK-based distributor, like Curry's or Amazon, or was it a grey import from China via GearBest? The Chinese units have some other settings that need to be changed.

P.S. Did you buy your router from a UK-based distributor, like Curry's or Amazon, or was it a grey import from China via GearBest? The Chinese units have some other settings that need to be changed.
Hi,many thanks for the help and info.
I'll have a look at the configuration indpages and hopefully find what you have mentioned,it's the first time I have done this, so you will have to be patient with me.
I managed to pick up the router via a third party seller on Facebook, brand new boxed for under a £100 quid do, not bad deal really. The back is marked up as made in china,but came with instructions in all languages and box in English,I assume it was bought locally.
I'll delve into the config settings as you've mentioned,the only limitations I have is positioning,as my VM router which the Asus is attached to is located by a short incoming coax behind TV and to move the Asus router would involve a long LAN cable across fireplace to rear room,which would involve drilling through wall. Don't think it would go down with missus very well☹️☹️☹️
Thanks
Tom

As I understand it the Chinese version has an extra option under Wireless - Professional to set the Region. See the picture in this post.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!