What's new

RT-AC87R Incredibly Slow

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Steverin06

New Around Here
Gents,

I am currently stationed on Kadena Air Force base in Okinawa, Japan. I watch all of my TV and movies online. Lately I have not been able to smoothly stream video, so I did some speed tests. I am currently receiving pretty decent internet considering - consistently 29.5 Mbps down / 5.9 Mpbs up, on speedtest.net using a laptop hardwired to my ISP's modem.

However there is a huge speed discrepancy if I add my RT-AC87R in the equation. Both using LAN or wireless, I am only getting 3 Mpbs down / 5.9 up. Interesting enough, the ping and upload speed is the same, however the download speed is about a 1/10 of what it is coming straight from the modem - and that's both wireless or hard wired from the router.

I had the router install the latest ASUS firmware, does anyone have any suggestions?

Is your modem just a modem or does it have router functionality also? If the two devices are competing then that is your problem. You will either need to put your modem in the bridge mode or put your AC87 in the AP mode.

Thank you for your reply.

My modem is a Cisco DPC3010. After reading its specs, I don't see anywhere that it has modem functionality but I could be wrong. They sit a foot away from each other. Still weird that even using ethernet through the router I'm getting 1/10th of the download speed then ethernet from the modem. Upload and ping stay the same.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!