What's new

RT-AC87U Block Camera From WAN

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Cook1e

New Around Here
Hi All,
Newbie here - hopefully simple question. I think I'm failing to understand the Network Services Filter on my RT-AC87U.

What I want to do is prevent my Reolink camera from accessing the internet, whilst (of course) being accessible via LAN. I guess I'm a bit paranoid, but I don't want the thing 'phoning home' without my knowledge.

I thought I had it (1st screenshot), but my firewall interface (Glasswire) finds it accessing addresses in the US and China, doing who-knows-what.

Can anyone tell me how to do this? I have read the manual several times, but I can only understand how to block specific websites or addresses/ports, not simply disconnect the camera's IP from the internet.

Thanks in advance,
Ian

Capture.JPG

Your screenshot looks correct (maybe leave the port range blank?). Maybe it's a false positive from your firewall. I have no idea how that firewall works.

But a better/simpler approach would be to go to Network Map. Click on Clients, select the client and then block it.

Untitled.png

Your screenshot looks correct (maybe leave the port range blank?). Maybe it's a false positive from your firewall. I have no idea how that firewall works.

But a better/simpler approach would be to go to Network Map. Click on Clients, select the client and then block it.

View attachment 44335
Thanks for swift response Colin. That seemed so simple - I slapped my head for missing it! Actually would never have thought of looking there...

Done and working. I have also just discovered that Glasswire flags connection attempts, not just actual connections

By enabling "Block Internet Access" in the clients list, you won't be able to access the camera if you use your router as a VPN server. This might not be an issue for you, depending on your setup, but it's something to keep in mind

Thanks Aerandir14, I'll bear that in mind. The router's a VPN client and, as far as I can tell, the camera's isolated from the WAN and no problems with the VPN.
However, I think the viewer program (Reolink) might be calling our oriental friends. If I block it using the PC's firewall, it can't see the camera.
Do you (or anyone) know if I can block the program's internet access, but still allow it to see the camera on the LAN?

Thanks Aerandir14, I'll bear that in mind. The router's a VPN client and, as far as I can tell, the camera's isolated from the WAN and no problems with the VPN.
However, I think the viewer program (Reolink) might be calling our oriental friends. If I block it using the PC's firewall, it can't see the camera.
Do you (or anyone) know if I can block the program's internet access, but still allow it to see the camera on the LAN?
If you're able to see which ports it uses, you could block it using Firewall>Network Services Filter. Or setting up the PC's firewall to only allow the ports used by the camera feed (you can check the Reolink's port configurations in the windows software)

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!