What's new

RT-AC87U keeps locking up

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Allocated memory is meaningless - memory gets allocated and freed dynamically for buffering according to the needs of the OS.

I've had 21 hours uptime on the official Asus beta firmware 9.0.0.4.378_9110

It's still a bit too early to tell but I'm hopeful my problem may finally be solved!

I used to consider a few months as decent uptime for my Apple router. I consider anything more than 4 days as a major success for this Asus router.
Just flashed my RT-AC87U with latest stock firmware 3.0.0.4.378_9177 (+ full reset after), and as usually, the router hanged between 2 and 3 days of uptime. I don't use the TA feature (traffic analyzer).... in fact I never used it.
So, as soon as I've some available time I'm going back to Merlin 378.55 that also hangs but is definitely better than the stock firmware.

2 Ac87s here - one AP, one router. Both been up for 8 days now and still working as well as ever. No slowdowns, certainly no crashes, nothing unusual in the log whatsoever. They are pretty heavily used too, with about 20 devices, a real mix of tablets, several generations of phone, a much used femtocell, 2 Plex servers, and 2 much used Chromecasts.

2 Ac87s here - one AP, one router. Both been up for 8 days now and still working as well as ever. No slowdowns, certainly no crashes, nothing unusual in the log whatsoever. They are pretty heavily used too, with about 20 devices, a real mix of tablets, several generations of phone, a much used femtocell, 2 Plex servers, and 2 much used Chromecasts.
And that is using the stock firmware 378.4950 ? What router services are you using ?

Currently, I'm just using DHCP (with some manual defined addresses, something that the 378.5950 stock firmware doesn't allow), DDNS, DLNA media server and the Samba server (I've one Seagate 3TB USB 3 hard disk connected to the router). SSH is also on. Everything else is OFF.
I do have a cooler under the router with a big fan and the power supply comes from a small APC ups that is in good condition.
I'm now running a test with the 5Ghz wireless radio turned off. Lets see how much it resists.

No, I'm using .9177 now. I'm not really using USB services, although I do have a small USB stick in each and Samba is enabled. But I've got all the protection stuff enabled, parental controls, Adaptive QoS, guest network, not TA or aiCloud.

maybe the DLNA media server is the issue ?

maybe the DLNA media server is the issue ?
I've disabled 5GHz radio and DLNA. No lockups during 4 days.
Then I've enabled 5GHz radio and got the router locked up in less than 24 hours.
I'm going to enable the DLNA feature again leaving 5GHz radio off, and let's see what happens.
BTW ... I'm running the 378.56 beta 2 now.
PS: Just to be clear... The lockup mentioned above, occurred when using Asus 9177 firmware. I then moved to 378.56 beta 1 and then to 378.56 beta 2. No lockups since I turned off 5Ghz radio (when applied the 378.56 beta 1)

Last edited:
my router have disabled minidlna, 5GHz radio and others and randomly crashes on .55fw, now i have 9177 and uptim 17days.
I use aiprotection, samba server.

I am having the same issues on a 68u. My issues occur on .55, .56b2, and the stock 9135, I do not have the luxury of your 9177 firmware. I turned off most of my aiprotection. Any other suggestions?

I am running the .55 firmware, and I found that the router kept locking up when I left my Samsung S6s on the 5G network. Once I moved them over to the 2.4G I have no longer had any lockups.

I think this might be related to the powersaving, even if I turn it off in the phones they keep dropping into a powersave mode, but the 5G network doesn't recognize it, via the flag identification of the wireless logs. I still have a laptop, and a TV connected to the 5G network without issue on the router, my current uptime is one week.

I plan on testing out the .56 beta build this week, to see if I could get my Samsung phones connected but maybe I'll wait.

I am running the .55 firmware, and I found that the router kept locking up when I left my Samsung S6s on the 5G network. Once I moved them over to the 2.4G I have no longer had any lockups.

I think this might be related to the powersaving, even if I turn it off in the phones they keep dropping into a powersave mode, but the 5G network doesn't recognize it, via the flag identification of the wireless logs. I still have a laptop, and a TV connected to the 5G network without issue on the router, my current uptime is one week.

I plan on testing out the .56 beta build this week, to see if I could get my Samsung phones connected but maybe I'll wait.
That's not my case. I had just one laptop connected to the 5GHz network. Everything else is connected to the 2.4 GHz network or via Ethernet (cabled).

For anyone curious, I figured I'd go back to the original firmware and then the merlin firmware. Both turned the router into a turd again. With Merlin 378.56_2 it just locks up every day.

The Asus beta 9.0.0.4.378_9110 still seems to be the most stable. As long as I don't enable any traffic analysis / QoS it can run for a week or two before it locks up.

I still regret how much I paid on this turd of a router.

In the professional page on 5GHz, there is an APSS WMM setting. Try changing it, then power-cycle the router.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

In the professional page on 5GHz, there is an APSS WMM setting. Try changing it, then power-cycle the router.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
If that option was ever available on the AC87, it was removed by Asus a long time ago!

I've found a sure fire way to cause the router to lock up.

If I connect to a VPN server using an openvpn client on my laptop and then transfer large amounts of data, it pretty much guarantees a lockup. Sometimes after just a couple hundred meg, sometimes after a few gig. But It's always the same thing. Even if it's been running for 5 days without any problem, as soon as I start using the VPN, it causes it to lock up after a short amount of time, requiring a hard reboot. No devices can connect to the wifi, no pinging of the router etc.

Right I think i have narrowed down what is causing this issue for me. I kept noticing the router was going tits up when the kids were playing on either my PC or laptop, they like these little online kids games. So for 5 days i said no games, and for 5 days router was fine. So i said right go and fire up your games, 10 minuets later router crashes. Reset it and again 10 minuets later crashes again. The game in question that has been causing the router to crash is a game called Roblox, I have since wiped this game from PC and laptop, and uptime is now 14 days.

I have no idea what the trigger is in this game to cause the problems, I think the game just looks for an open port and uses whatever it can find, is that uPNP or NAT or something? I don't know much about these sorts of things. I was even thinking it may be some little sh*t DDOS'ing from the game somehow, but surely the router protects against this? I dont know.

Right I think i have narrowed down what is causing this issue for me. I kept noticing the router was going tits up when the kids were playing on either my PC or laptop, they like these little online kids games. So for 5 days i said no games, and for 5 days router was fine. So i said right go and fire up your games, 10 minuets later router crashes. Reset it and again 10 minuets later crashes again. The game in question that has been causing the router to crash is a game called Roblox, I have since wiped this game from PC and laptop, and uptime is now 14 days.

I have no idea what the trigger is in this game to cause the problems, I think the game just looks for an open port and uses whatever it can find, is that uPNP or NAT or something? I don't know much about these sorts of things. I was even thinking it may be some little sh*t DDOS'ing from the game somehow, but surely the router protects against this? I dont know.

Did you try with traffic analysis and QoS and all related features turned off? For me, It won't crash at all with this features disabled. But when they're enabled, just like you, some software will cause the router to crash/lock-up very quickly. In your case it was a game, in my case it's VPN software.

Did you try with traffic analysis and QoS and all related features turned off? For me, It won't crash at all with this features disabled. But when they're enabled, just like you, some software will cause the router to crash/lock-up very quickly. In your case it was a game, in my case it's VPN software.
Yes I have had those features turned off for quite some time now. I have been running open VPN on mine for about a month, as I was curious if the router could be accessed over the internet when it crashes, (no you can't).
I have not tried transferring large files like you have, may try it tonight just out of interest, I am just thinking along the lines that there must be something common that the router is doing whether it be you're VPN or my game to cause it to do this.
But as much as it's been a right pain in the butt since day 1, I have been happy with its performance the last 14 days, usually about 20 devices connected to it in the evening, wired and wifi, TV's streaming HD content from my media center, others on netflix, me on my PS4 etc etc. And its been solid, just hope it stays this way, not holding my breath tho.

OMG, I participated in this thread, thinking it was bandwidth analyzer or firmware related etc... eventually, I would end up with a locked up router... however, reading your post... I have two kids both ROBLOX fans.... my situation has got to the point where I reverted back to my isp provided router which doesn't lock up like my asus 87u So right now I'm tempted to say you are onto something...

you have essentially described my household usage... anything else goes fine but my kids play alot that particular game... I have a friend who also reported malware and viruses on their PC and thought it was that game and ever since they removed it, issues went away.

For the interested ones, I also had most of these features off... Bandwith analyzer etc... all was turned on and off, eventually, router would lock up.

Last edited:
I ended up reverting to my R7000 , Waiting and watching threads to see if there is going to be a stable firmware, been looking at reviews, even been thinking about picking up a new one, R7500v2 no Quanta, just Broadcom and Watching the RT-Ac88,
Hopefully something will happen soon.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!