What's new

RT-AC87U or RT-AC68U - which one for best overall wireless performance?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Which one for the ultimate wireless performance?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

coastal_carolina

Occasional Visitor
So I purchased the RT-AC68U last week and ordered the RT-AC87 this week.

I am trying to decide which one to keep.

Every device I have is on WIFI - 11 devices total so far. 5 devices on 2.4Ghz, 2 devices on 5Ghz N and 4 newer devices on 5Ghz AC.
Range should not be a huge issue because I have not had problems in the past, even with my old Dlink DIR-825 N router from 2008.

It seems that the consensus is, if I want the fastest overall WIFI performance to stay with he RT-AC68U.

I ordered the 87U because it was the latest model and the USB 3.0 speeds were much improved, however I have since decided to use a dedicated NAS and ordered one today.
http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/nas/nas-reviews/32286-thecus-n2310-soho-home-nas-server-reviewed

Currently the 68U would also be the most reliable. I realize that with a few more months ASUS will have all or most of the bugs worked out, but it seems that even with the latest firmware performance hasn't changed that much since the original release?

I have studied the reviews and speed results/charts for hours, but would also like some latest opinions.

So if money were not an issue, which one would you keep for the ultimate WIFI performance?

For reference, here are pics of the performance results and links to the reviews for each:

asus_rtac68u_benchmark_summary.jpg

http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wire...st-look-netgear-r7000-a-asus-rt-ac68u?start=2

asus_rtac87_benchmark_summary.jpg

http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wire...and-wireless-ac2400-gigabit-router-first-look
http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wireless/wireless-reviews/32491-asus-rt-ac87u-review-part-2

PC World:
rtac87u-ac56-100409332-orig.png

Last edited:
With money no object and the patience of a saint, I would go for the superior hardware in the RT-AC87U right now.

I almost always opt for the most hardware I can throw my money at.

Ultimate performance is not a snapshot in time, it is the most consistent performance you get over the ownership of a product. When all is said and done, the current most powerful Asus router will be that product.

With enough patience, you can get to the point where it is even better than the RT-AC68U right now. As long as it performs at your minimum level of performance now, of course.

I would keep the Netgear R7000 Nighthawk :p

Don't need to look at those charts. I have used these routers at least briefly when helping out new customers.

The faster hardware is obvious to me. More responsive network and faster throughput.

The charts are great to compare different products in a clinical way, but real world experience lets you know when one is superior to another.

Based on Asus' past history, they'll keep supporting this '87 until it performs at a stable and high level, even given it's age.

Add the RMerlin magic and if I didn't have to worry about the cash part, I would be happy to be a beta tester too for Asus. :)

The R7000 may be the best router right now (actually testing it against something else in your environment will let you know for sure) but I can almost bet the farm it is not the best buy in the long term.

My experience has shown Netgear support to stop long before the smell of new hardware has faded.

im waiting for asus to release their ac3200. the hardware is much better because main cpu isnt used for wifi. im also hoping that they'd let us utilise the other ARM chips in it too otherwise calling it a petacore would be inaccurate. like the netgear r8000 it bonds 2 wifi links to increase throughput with multiple clients, better than MU MIMO which requires clients to support it.

In other words stick to the ac68u till it comes out if you think you can afford the ac3200 otherwise stick with the ac87u and use merlin firmware and hope that it works better.

im waiting for asus to release their ac3200. the hardware is much better because main cpu isnt used for wifi. im also hoping that they'd let us utilise the other ARM chips in it too otherwise calling it a petacore would be inaccurate. like the netgear r8000 it bonds 2 wifi links to increase throughput with multiple clients, better than MU MIMO which requires clients to support it.

In other words stick to the ac68u till it comes out if you think you can afford the ac3200 otherwise stick with the ac87u and use merlin firmware and hope that it works better.

I've been watching the Asus 3200 as well. Hopefully I will still be in my 30 day return window before the reviews come out. Damn I don't know if I want to go through the growing pains with that new router though.

depends if you use it as a router, i will use it as AP only and try to utilise its 5 ARM cores

I will be using it as router.

I am waiting for the ASUS EA-AC87 to be released so I can hook my PS3 and DirecTV Genie up to it.

Right now I have my PS3 hooked up to a DirecTV Cinema Kit (its essentially just a bridge) and my HR-34 Genie to another DirecTV Cinema kit.

I upgraded to the 68U last week, and my laptop to an Intel AC 7260 this weekend and am loving every minute of being able to stream 720P movies to my PS3 via PS3 Media Server with DTS and Dolby Digital 5.1 intact. Until recently I was using the crappy WIFI built into the PS3.

My home is 2600 square feet, but its open enough to were I don't need an AP or any crazy WIFI coverage. I don't have a basement and part of my upstairs overlooks the downstairs with an open wall/balcony area.

Last edited:
Even so as a basic router/AP i doubt there'd be many problems. Currently issues with ASUS routers are with dual WAN and such. Dont use advanced features for your wirelss too, things like power saving, WMM, and such. Once they get a stable firmware than you can start turning those features on when they fix it.

Are there any "real world" tests that people have done to show the overall wifi performance is faster on the 87u than the 67u?

Obviously the 2.4 ghz tests show that the 87 performs better, but the 5 ghz Uplink and downlink averages suffered with only the up down throughput showing superior in smallnetbuilder tests at least. The averages for the uplink and downlink were off by a significant enough amount in testing averages from the looks of it. I am most concerned about the 5ghz band performance since that's were all new devices are heading.

Cnet and many other reviews I've seen have shown 5ghz band performance and throughput suffering in the 87u.

Last edited:
Interesting. I'm surprised to see the 87U getting this much love so far.

I finally unboxed the 87U and have been testing it the last few days. I upgraded to the latest Merlin firmware released a few days ago and factory reset it.

So far I have noticed that my iPad Air 2 does not seem to like the 5 Ghz with this model (the 68u performs fine).

I also noticed that the 5 Ghz channel width on the 87u does not allow you to choose auto or multiple widths like on the 68u. Does anyone know why they removed this functionality on the 87u?

Last edited:
Both the R7000 and RT-AC68P are fine with my iPad Air 2 (and all my other wreless clients, as well). Don't have an RT-AC87U, wouldn't have one until I can get something out of the extra hardware that I'm paying for. That won't be for some time for me.

Interesting. I'm surprised to see the 87U getting this much love so far.

I finally unboxed the 87U and have been testing it the last few days. I upgraded to the latest Merlin firmware released a few days ago and factory reset it.

So far I have noticed that my iPad Air 2 does not seem to like the 5 Ghz with this model (the 68u performs fine).

I also noticed that the 5 Ghz channel width on the 87u does not allow you to choose auto or multiple widths like on the 68u. Does anyone know why they removed this functionality on the 87u?

Well, I've had the same issues with my iPad Air 2 on 5GHz and it is annoying. I too have upgraded the firmware to Merlin (after having these issues). The Merlin firmware fixes a few things and adds a few features but the behaviour is the same. I tried switching off QoS and AiProtection but it didn't change anything.

I should point out I get issues with my Nokia 1520 in addition to my Air 2 while my Surface Pro 3 works flawlessly. The Surface though is kept in one place and only one wall and less than 30 feet away.

The AC87U I really want to like but I can't help thinking there is something fundamentally wrong with the 5GHz band. I should correct myself and maybe say, it is finicky with a range of wireless AC devices as one is made by Microsoft and one by Apple.

Other devices such as the Surface 2 and my wife's iPhone are on 2.4GHz as they don't have AC wireless and they work fine.

I see the 5 GHz throughput is now rated higher in the SNB charts for the 68U, I did not notice this earlier unless it recently changed:

ASUS-5GHzupdownthroughputSNB.png

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!