What's new

RT-ac86u + 4/5 rt-ac68u AiMesh nodes upgrade advice

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Question: which extra feature?

It tracks your clients and with supported 802.11k/v/r assists in better roaming between the APs, provides network stats with graphs, remote management, wireless mesh options (with supported APs), guest network with different login options, expands routers/switches/APs functionality (in specifications you have features market with * - Omada controller required), etc. The network won't stop though if the controller is disconnected temporary. The controller is not mandatory for simple setups with basic functions and few APs. All devices have own UI with basic settings available for stand alone mode.

A little update to say that I have received a TP-Link OC200 and a TL-sg2218, which however did not offer PoE (I got it wrong from Amazon, so I will send it back and get a TL-SG2210MP as duly suggested by @Tech9), and I am still waiting to get the EAP615-Wall.

While I am waiting, I was looking for a new router - in case I decide to completely dispose of Asus - and I stumbled on Firewalla. But I know there are many other (also less expensive), including from Omada, but I do not know what to look at.

In terms of requirements, I would basically need a good firewall, 1 gigabit, possibly a parental control and ad-blocker (even if I have a raspberry pi which maybe - with your help - could also help), VPN server and VPN client capabilities, and sufficiently easy for me to manage (especially on port forwarding and ip assignment).

Any suggestion is welcome!

raspberry pi
You could use that as your router and everything else you mentioned with proper configuration. The obvious issue is ports and would require some USB adapters to make it work as a router with 1 to the WAN and 1 to the switch. As for VPN throughput though I'm not sure how well it would handle it but, if you used wire guard based options it should be quicker than ovpn.

PIHOLE will work as an app that will filter out all of the junk and there are lists you can import preconfigured to block things. https://firebog.net/

Adding the other features should be easy as well from git hub if you search for them.

I was looking for a new router

Use your RT-AC86U until you need VLANs. Then think about something better matching the rest of your system. One step at a time, remember?

Here I am again, with an update!

Yesterday evening I finally received 5 EAP615-wall after having received at the beginning of the week 2 TL-SG2210MP (and the OC200 last week).

Having already done all the set-up on the Controller and cabling around switches, everything has been as easy as plugging the APs, make them recognized/adopted by the Controller and do a firmware update.

The only thing I am puzzled is that, even if I have created a SSID with 6Ghz, I do not see my Pixel 6 Pro connecting in 6Ghz, even if I am quite close to the AP.

Moreover, I enabled Fast Roaming [1], but it does not seem that the phone switches to the closer AP if I move. I have not really tested if this create an issue (i.e. if wifi drops), but I would expect a fast switch of AP.

[1] https://community.tp-link.com/en/business/forum/topic/544652

the phone determines when the switch of APs occurs, not the AP. You may have to reduce AP power or relocate/remove some of the APs to accomplish this. In wireless, less is often more.

The only thing I am puzzled is that, even if I have created a SSID with 6Ghz

What 6GHz? There is no 6GHz band on EAP615.

How can they be reduced?

Adjust the Tx power settings in Omada Controller. You have settings per AP and per band. With so many APs start with Low or Medium. Give the Controller time to figure out some of your clients movements. Give time to your devices to figure out your new APs placement. It needs adjustments and time.

Last edited:
Is that correct?

As I said above - the more you want the more you pay. If you want latest and greatest it will cost you 3-4 times more now and you have to wait for years to get clients for it. If it makes sense to you - go ahead with 6E APs now or wait for Wi-Fi 7 if you want to. It doesn't make sense to me. Your APs are under €100 each - they can provide about 850Mbps throughput. Your router and switch have matching Gigabit ports and are priced accordingly. It's a balanced system for what you asked for initially for your 30 devices with 12 using Wi-Fi. It can support many more with no performance degradation.

Thank you Tech9. I see and agree with your point.

Re Fast Roaming, I put the 5 AC with TX Low (I think they are all 9 tx now). However I see that connection still drops and move from one AP to the other is not, ironically, seamless.

In the Advanced Feature of the Site panel, I have the following:

• Fast Roaming -> Enabled
  • AI Roaming -> Enabled
  • Dual Band 11k Report -> Disabled
  • Force-Disassociation -> Disabled
  • Band Steering -> Prefer 5 GHz / 6 GHz

What should I change, check or do?

Thanks!

You will always have few seconds connection drop and it depends on how fast the mobile client re-connects. Since we all have different clients and networks there is no universal advice. My suggestion is start at default and change one setting at a time. If you have OC200 up and running give it time between every change. You have way more tools to play with than before, but don't apply all at once and don't expect immediate results.

AiMesh is very limited control system and actually worse than Google Wi-Fi, Amazon eero and some TP-Link Deco models. AiMesh routers blast full time on high power and the tools available for better roaming are minimal. "Seamless" roaming is in advertisements only. There is better and worse. You have the toolbox, but you have to find the right tools for your application. You jumped in with 5x APs at once and this may take time to make work properly.

I don't run Omada Wi-Fi system, but you can search what other people say.

Try and see what it can do for you. It's one of the available options to play with.

Overall it seems quite expensive...
forget wifi6 and 7, Wifi5 is plenty even for a 1Gbps connection...a/b/g/n are still with us, and they all still work. wifi5/ac will be with us for 5+years, conservative estimate. 5-6 of these APs could easily cause your DL to become saturated, and never mind your UL - this is why you need a proper router.

How much is your time worth over the next 5 years, constantly rebooting?
put it in once, set it up once...use it until an upgrade is required, then repeat.

Speaking about router (yesterday indeed I had to reboot it as it was completely dead): for which one I should go? I am looking for something pro-sumer but not too complicated.

I was intrigued by Firewalla Gold (maybe even Plus, to be future proof), but there are plenty out there.

It seems to understand that Omada routers are quite well integrated in the system (obviously) but it seems they are not performing that good or being enough good for example for VPNs But I could be wrong.

Any advice?

Last edited:
One more tip for @giopas - since 2.4GHz band has better range and wall penetration not all the APs have to broadcast 2.4GHz. There is per AP band on/off control as well as individual power adjustment. I have an 8x AP system running with 4x APs as 5GHz only. There are multiple options to explore.

About the router - SafeStream routers are Omada SDN integrated, but with more business related options than home use related. Both are cheap and will do Gigabit just fine, but don't expect any Parental Controls or 3rd party services like TrendMicro. I can't give you any advice about Firewalla, perhaps @Smokey613 can share the experience. It's better to have VLAN capable router/firewall to match your VLAN capable the rest of the system. You may want IoT isolated network, specialized Guest Networks, some Ethernet connected devices segmentation, etc. Opens more options for network management.