What's new

RT-AC88U - 3.0.0.4.386 - Doubt

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

stex77

Occasional Visitor
Hi dear,

I found today this forum and I subscribed immediately.
I have a doubt regarding the firmware.

Actually I have an Aimesh net like this:
Router AiMesh: RT-AC88U --> 3.0.0.4.385
Node AiMesh: RT-AC2900 --> 3.0.0.4.386
Node AiMesh: RT-AC86U --> 3.0.0.4.386

So I'm looking the release 386 for AC88U, I see that there is official stable beta but I can't find it on official ASUS websites: https://www.asus.com/us/Networking/RT-AC88U/HelpDesk_BIOS/
Do I have to wait or could I install the last official beta version or am I making some mistake?

Another point to have a confirm from you: is it correct that I use RT-AC88U as main? I supposed to choice the best in term of performance.

Best regards and thank you for your help.

Stex.

Hi dear,

I found today this forum and I subscribed immediately.
I have a doubt regarding the firmware.

Actually I have an Aimesh net like this:
Router AiMesh: RT-AC88U --> 3.0.0.4.385
Node AiMesh: RT-AC2900 --> 3.0.0.4.386
Node AiMesh: RT-AC86U --> 3.0.0.4.386

So I'm looking the release 386 for AC88U, I see that there is official stable beta but I can't find it on official ASUS websites: https://www.asus.com/us/Networking/RT-AC88U/HelpDesk_BIOS/
Do I have to wait or could I install the last official beta version or am I making some mistake?

Another point to have a confirm from you: is it correct that I use RT-AC88U as main? I supposed to choice the best in term of performance.

Best regards and thank you for your help.

Stex.

You can use the AiMesh 2.0 RC2-8 beta on all of your nodes. Be sure to install, reset, and configure from scratch. You will have to repeat same once the beta is formally released.

Beta - ASUSWRT 386 RC2 public beta with full functions AiMesh 2.0 | Page 10 | SmallNetBuilder Forums (snbforums.com)

I believe the AC86U/AC2900 outperforms the AC88U, so I would make it your router/root node.

OE

Thank you for your quick reply :)

In your experience, how long will I have to wait for official 386 also on AC88U? It's seems only 386 is missing this official release :(

Thank you for your quick reply :)

In your experience, how long will I have to wait for official 386 also on AC88U? It's seems only 386 is missing this official release :(

As shown above, the 386 RC2 beta began here on 7/15. Since then, 386 firmware has been released for various routers including your AC86U/AC2900 (I stuck with the more advanced beta firmware). Maybe the older AC88U will see some 386 love sooner than later.

OE

Thanks !!!

If I will change and I will put AC86U as main, all my net will use AC86U software and feature?

Now I'm scared about the possibility that my AC88U will be not compatible with AC86U :(

Thanks !!!

If I will change and I will put AC86U as main, all my net will use AC86U software and feature?

Now I'm scared about the possibility that my AC88U will be not compatible with AC86U :(

You're overthinking this.

Each router/node runs it's own firmware. Common network functions will be performed by the network router/root node. Remote nodes will use their functionality reduced to serve as wired/wireless Access Points.

As a remote node, your AC88U becomes an Access Point with an 8-port LAN switch. AiMesh 2.0 now allows using its USB functions.

The AC86U makes a more powerful router/root node. And it also has hardware encryption for stronger VPN performance, if required.

This isn't a life or death decision. You can try it both ways and probably won't notice the difference unless you know where and how to measure.

OE

Hi OzarkEdge,

today I switched all !!!

Aimesh 2.0 is now active on all net, also with 385 active on 88U.

Next Step try to setup another time the VPN, I removed it due to low performance.

Best regards and thank another time.

You can use the AiMesh 2.0 RC2-8 beta on all of your nodes. Be sure to install, reset, and configure from scratch. You will have to repeat same once the beta is formally released.

A minor correction, and I know this because I was beta testing with the 88U. There was a bug specific to the 88U that was not fixed until RC-9. The bug would cause the 88U's to completely freeze under certain conditions, requiring the paperclip hole reset to resolve. So I'd advise to upgrade to RC-9 as soon as possible.

A minor correction, and I know this because I was beta testing with the 88U. There was a bug specific to the 88U that was not fixed until RC-9. The bug would cause the 88U's to completely freeze under certain conditions, requiring the paperclip hole reset to resolve. So I'd advise to upgrade to RC-9 as soon as possible.

You're correcting 11/29 advice with advice to use firmware issued on 12/1.

Installing the latest beta firmware is pretty much a given.

OE

OE, please understand I was not dinging you, and I know you were just trying to be helpful, as am I. My thought process when I made that comment was, RC-8 is still available for download, and this post showed up in my related topics/recommended reads feed, so I assumed it would for others with an 88U as well. So I thought it important to say to anybody else, "hey, if you want to upgrade from the official 385 to a 386 beta, make sure it's RC-9". I probably took this a little more personal than most as I had the perfect setup to excite the 88U specific bug(s). In fact, it was not until RC-9 that I was able to even try AiMesh 2.0 for the first time (and I love it, where has AiMesh 2.0 been all my life ;) ). But until RC-9 the whole beta test process was frankly miserable, all it did for me was cause me to become well versed in where the paperclip reset holes are on the 88U, I can now find it blindfolded ;)

OE, please understand I was not dinging you, and I know you were just trying to be helpful, as am I. My thought process when I made that comment was, RC-8 is still available for download, and this post showed up in my related topics/recommended reads feed, so I assumed it would for others with an 88U as well. So I thought it important to say to anybody else, "hey, if you want to upgrade from the official 385 to a 386 beta, make sure it's RC-9". I probably took this a little more personal than most as I had the perfect setup to excite the 88U specific bug(s). In fact, it was not until RC-9 that I was able to even try AiMesh 2.0 for the first time (and I love it, where has AiMesh 2.0 been all my life ;) ). But until RC-9 the whole beta test process was frankly miserable, all it did for me was cause me to become well versed in where the paperclip reset holes are on the 88U, I can now find it blindfolded ;)

I understand. But you can waste a lot of time correcting expired advice with soon to be expired advice. Anyone using beta firmware should be installing the latest unless they know otherwise.

OE

Hi Ozark,

AC88U is not an expired device, ASUS still sell it on official store:

Still 249€ in Italy.

I think that we consider "expired device" after 2 years from the last sell.

So, ... I wait for 386 release :)

I wrote "expired advice", not expired device. Read it again.

OE

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!