What's new

rt-ac88u bricked?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ROBBER011

Occasional Visitor
Hey Short story i got a Ax5400 tuf and gonna use my RT-AC88U as a in imesh network, we need it bad at this apartment.
But i thought i would reset the router and start installing the new router then later add the fresh reset ac88u with RT-AC88U_386.5_beta1.zip on it before. Now I can´t get a default gateway and i tried rescue mode, Hold wps and press the power on/off button, 1000 times now even with reset, even all button on the whole router.
i have now connected it to muy router and plugg it in on wan and have a USB with only .trx file from asus website on the USB is i Exfat format. i have manually set IP and only had that networkcard enable and tried asus rescue program. It´s says it not in rescue mode... i get an 169.254.104.200 (tentative)
no default gateway

Lights that are on are WAN and LAN.

Please any help here!

Hey Short story i got a Ax5400 tuf and gonna use my RT-AC88U as a in imesh network, we need it bad at this apartment.
But i thought i would reset the router and start installing the new router then later add the fresh reset ac88u with RT-AC88U_386.5_beta1.zip on it before. Now I can´t get a default gateway and i tried rescue mode, Hold wps and press the power on/off button, 1000 times now even with reset, even all button on the whole router.
i have now connected it to muy router and plugg it in on wan and have a USB with only .trx file from asus website on the USB is i Exfat format. i have manually set IP and only had that networkcard enable and tried asus rescue program. It´s says it not in rescue mode... i get an 169.254.104.200 (tentative)
no default gateway

Lights that are on are WAN and LAN.

Please any help here!

Have you tried:
o disconnect the WAN and LAN and any USB;
o hold Reset button until Power LED begins flashing; then wait for it to settle (power LED flashes 3 times when done);
o wire a PC to LAN port1 and browse to router.asus.com or default IP 192.168.50.1 to reach the router webUI?

OE

Last edited:
Welcome to the forums @ROBBER011.

How have you done the reset? Use the method in the link below specific to your router.

[Wireless] ASUS router Hard Factory Reset | Official Support | ASUS Global

Note, that sometimes it is effective to perform the reset multiple times (and in different ways) for the router to respond normally.

Fully Reset Router and Network

If following the steps in the link above (multiple times) doesn't get the router back to a good/known state, it may be time for a new router.

Keep the following in mind too.

Don't use LAN ports 5-8 on the RT-AC88U.

Be sure you have disconnected everything from the router. Including any USB devices, and all LAN cables too (you can do everything you need via WiFi).

Do not use a saved backup config file (particularly between different routers, same model or not).

Do not 'blindly' configure the router with previous customizations, scripts, and features that worked 'once upon a time'.

Do not use the 386.5 Beta 1. The full release is out (and preferred).

hey to reply ur both!I tried that guide several times! , the beta firmware worked excellent, when I got the new router I don't now why I resetet it. i Thougt it would be easier too set it up to imesh after.

My power led never gives Ime light what I even do, I tried let I be powerless and like presset the buttons to release any static power.
Lan is the only led that in on, Wifi i cant see the network and i just tried again the rescue thing and connect to different ports 1,2,3 and so.

169.254.104.200 is the IP it gets.

I tried another poweradapter too. But it feel like there is something more i can do to force it in too rescue mode or force firmware in too it.
i don't get a default gateway i tried 169.254.104.200 and router.asus.com in different browser. And all other networkcards are inactive. tried with my laptop too,

Feels so sad when i worked like a dream with 1000/1000 before and a reset on that beta firmware and it´s a brick?

I bought the tuf ax5400 as the main router and put this on imesh so we can have wifi in the hole apartment. i also screwd it apart and can see a 4 pin port on the board. Can i do something there?

I can´t upload files too big, but shaved down but still would be uploaded...
Now when i put internet in to wan and see if i can see it my router.
And i can´t see that its active.

still does the WAN lightning up now..

Did you possibly flash the AX5400 firmware onto the RT-AC88U (and/or, vice versa)?

This doesn't make sense. Please, describe what exactly are you doing, step by step.
Why? They don’t have anything to do with the problem.

I got my asua ax5400 home I starter packet it upc, preset ready on the ac88u with Merlin software on, then 30 minutes later I plugg in my ax5400 and set it up, but my ac88u had stayed in this state that it won't do the wps/hold, reset nothing I followed exactly several times. The only less than lightning is LAN and WAN if I put internet in WAN. Power and Wps does not light up. Tried ready, tried rescue, tries hold both reset and wps and power off and on and still hold. Nothing happens :/

How did you flash this AC88U? Was it working before with Asuswrt-Merlin firmware?
I uploaded firmware from my computer thru cable, in asus interface, Yeah it worked like a charm, i pressed the reset button before putting it down because I thought it would be easier to set up as a "nod" to the imesh later. But it never start flashing like all the times before. i didn't plugg it out while resetting or something like that. But i can´t even get it in rescue mode is weird..

Tried all thoes things and moore =/ the power led never starts blinking.. tried the last thing with reset and the rescue program thing too. Nothing works.. But its a 4 pin on the board can I do something there? I'm mad that the router worked awesome, 1 reset that's been done before, bricked it. And Its weird wan blinking when i put in internet so its not completely dead.

This router had power cut off during flashing, the Power switch is bad or Reset/WPS buttons contacts are oxidized. If it was in my hands, I would perhaps pinpoint the issue. All not user fixable issues. Your options are to give it to someone who can fix it or to buy a new router.

This router had power cut off during flashing, the Power switch is bad or Reset/WPS buttons contacts are oxidized. If it was in my hands, I would perhaps pinpoint the issue. All not user fixable issues. Your options are to give it to someone who can fix it or to buy a new router.
Okey, i think if its oxide or so i can fix it i have eletronic cleaner and so will open it later and clean and check the buttons!

Hi, I just registered to join this thread with the exact same issue as I really would like to reanimate this router.
Had the router for about 3 years, running Merlin for about 2.5y but was away for about 9 months and my wife called to say the router stopped working.
I'm sitting with the router on my table taken apart.
Exact same issues, no WPS or reset functions work, dim power LED (I think the LED itself is dying), the WPS, USB 3, LAN leds light up on start but no response to recovery mode or reset. No wifi lights, the wifi button has no affect.
Strangest part is that the WAN LED lights up if I plug something into the internet port. There is CPU activity as the processor heatshield does warm up.
My only option left right now is to buy a USB to J3 adapter, I think it's a USB to TTL? and Putty into the router and go from there.

Another note, I had adblock installed on a USB and the power switch gets stuck in a position.

Please tell me if u get a way too save it! I pulled my apart and eltronic cleaned it all looking good nothing Is stuck or corroded, weird with the power led my too i almost dead too :s

Please tell me if u get a way too save it! I pulled my apart and eltronic cleaned it all looking good nothing Is stuck or corroded, weird with the power led my too i almost dead too :s
I'm still on the fence about buying the serial adapter will help in anyway.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!