What's new

RT-AC88U cannot update from 386.2_4 to 386.2_6 and pop-up error message "Invalid Firmware Upload"

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

akibo111

New Around Here
Hello everyone,

I trying to update my RT-AC88U but I cannot update from 386.2_4 to 386.2_6. :(

RT-AC88U update Error.jpg

I just ran into this issue as well running the latest stock firmware. It seems that the latest Asus RT-AC88U firmware changed to include certificate checks.

I'm not sure how to get around it when already running Asus/Merlin but here's what I did to get around the error when going from Stock to Asus/Merlin:

1) Ensure that Auto Upgrade is off (something added recently to the stock firmware as well)
2) Download the .385 firmware from the Asus site
3) Install that via Manual Firmware Upload
4) Once it's rebooted, log on and then install the latest Asus/Merlin
5) Bingo

Hi gents,

I seem to have run into this problem while running merlin for more than 3 years with no issue updating at all and now all of a sudden I can't update from 386.3 to 386.3_2 with the error above invalid Firmware"
any idea how to overcome this without a factory reset or cleaning out the router?

Thanks.

@Meshhh, try the following.

• Safely remove all USB devices from the router via the GUI.
  • Physically remove the USB devices when they show unmounted.
  • Reboot the router and wait for at least 5 to 10 minutes (depending on your model) for the router to settle.
  • Flash the firmware. If it doesn't succeed the first time, simply try again.
  • When the firmware is updated, power it off.
  • Plug in any USB devices you had originally inserted before.
  • Power it up.

@L&LD

Thanks, I did not have anu usb devices connected but I rebooted the router and tried that a couple of times, the fourth time it accepted the firmware….. weird behaviour if you ask me.

any background why this pops up now and then, reading on the interwebs sounds like this is an issue from multiple versions?

but many thanks for the help!