What's new

RT-AC88U demanding new wifi password format

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Phrede

New Around Here
All was good until the RT-AC88U power cycled today. Was 386.5 now 386.7_2 with no difference. After the power cycled devices could not wifi connect on either band. The password was 14 lower case letters as it has been for a long time. I noticed for the first time a "Danger" message next to the password setting wanting a cap, a number and a special character. If I comply with a new password meeting that format things will connect. The problem is that I have many devices that it is a major PIA to change the pass code if I can't connect. This all happened as a surprise. I've done numerous warm and cold boots. I've not done a reset.

I am majorly disappointed that this is mandatory. Sure, give me a password score but let me decide. I get it normally is good practice but my environment / application is special. Then happening as a surprise opens the door to Murphy's Law.

Does this sound familiar? Is it possible to downgrade firmware as a work around? At least to access all the devices to update their settings. What version did this start with.

TIA

Update, this gets weirder. I downgraded to 386.1. There is no password scoring box but I still can not connect with the old password. If I rearrange the letters only I can connect. I am trying this on two different devices. It's like a mandatory change of password. now. Maybe time to back up some more with the versions.

Last edited:
Retype your old password and try again. Sounds like corrupted password character. Maybe time to reset to defaults and start over.

Re-entering the password didn't help. Factory reset with minimal setup and the same password didn't work. An all lowercase 9 letter password that is totally different does work. After that setting the old password doesn't work again. It's like it is only that specific password even after a factory reset?! This is crazy