What's new

RT-AC88U Frequent WAN Dropouts

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Mears148

Occasional Visitor
Okay all, so I have been experiencing major issues with frequent WAN dropouts using my RT-AC88U as my main router connected to a bridged Verizon DSL Actiontec GT784WNV. I am currently running on the latest official firmware release from ASUS (v. 3.0.0.4.380_3341), and the issue only seemed to crop up once moving to the new firmware releases that changed the ASUS firmware format. When I reboot the router, my connection comes back for about 5 minutes or so, and then will report disconnected in the router UI again. I don't know if I have discovered an actual bug that has gone unnoticed due to a lack of DSL users, or if I have received my third bricked RT-AC88U from Amazon. I love this router when it works, but frankly, that hasn't been very often. Has anyone else experienced this issue or have any ideas what could be causing it? Would Merlin's firmware have any impact on this? Any insight is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Have you tried toggling the DHCP query frequency setting from aggressive to normal mode?

Also, try leaving the whole network unplugged (from AC power) for at least 10 to 60 minutes (the longer the better), including the modem.

Then power up the modem and wait for 5 minutes for it to fully boot.

Power up the router and wait 5 minutes for it to fully boot.

Power up any switches you may have and plug in and turn on all your networked devices.

Check the Verizon box - that's likely where your problem is, not the router/AP you're attaching it to, esp. after swapping out multiple samples - the AsusWRT boxes generally work fine in your config...

You are likely having a conflict between the two routers or their settings... and it's effecting the WAN connection with the Verzion server. If you haven't done this already... under the Asus settings , LAN tab > LAN IP > IP Address , try setting the LAN IP different than the default LAN IP of the Actiontec modem/router. Verizon modem/routers usually default to 192.168.1.1 . You could set the Asus 88u router in the LAN IP settings to 192.168.2.1 . You should be able to keep the Verizon modem/router settings the same. Every time you hard button reset the Asus 88u you will need to make sure that the Asus LAN IP settings are set back to 192.168.2.1 or whatever LAN IP you chose. See if this works and if not then...

If you are still having problems then for testing purposes keep the settings I recommended above and try NOT using bridge mode on the Actiontec modem/router. Let the Actiontec also do DHCP. This would be a double NAT setup. You could use double NAT and add the 88u IP assigned by the Actiontec into the Actiontec's DMZ zone if you want. It's not ideal but better than getting WAN drops.

If that setup works you could also try keeping the settings I recommended above and see if it works better allowing the Actiontec to do DHCP (of course you won't set DMZ for the 88u) .... and maybe use the Asus in AP mode only (I myself would prefer double NAT but this is an option too). You are trying to narrow down the source of the problem and find solutions. I have relatives that use Verizon (using both Verizon DSL and later with Verizon FIOS) and I have had to use these same solutions for their Asus router and Verizon modem/router settings. I have found double NAT to be the easiest and most trouble free solution.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!