What's new

RT-AC88U - Getting best download speed on 1.5 gigabit connection

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Hi, I know this is an old thread but I was hoping to see if anyone has come to a conclusion. I did try the media convertor approach and the pppoe on my hh3000 but nothing 400 down and 780 up (which is faster than the actual speed that bell advertised)

Hi, I know this is an old thread but I was hoping to see if anyone has come to a conclusion. I did try the media convertor approach and the pppoe on my hh3000 but nothing 400 down and 780 up (which is faster than the actual speed that bell advertised)

You are on gigabit package? I am with bell as well get 900+ down and 810 upload+ constantly. Which media converter you are using.

Last edited:
Interesting, I am using same converter and I am getting what I pay for, how are you conducting speed test? Also are you connecting directly to router or you are connecting hh3000 then router.

Cat7 to my Asus gt5300 then cat 5e into my computer (specs ryzen 2600x sad 16gb of ram gtx1070ti) I used dslreports and speedtest.net
initially, I thought it was my ethernet cable thats broken, but swapped it with a different ethernet cable and nothing.

for your Asus router did you have to setup anything beside iptv (setting it manually to 35) and PPPOE?

Last edited:
Cat7 to my Asus gt5300 then cat 5e into my computer (specs ryzen 2600x sad 16gb of ram gtx1070ti) I used dslreports and speedtest.net
initially, I thought it was my ethernet cable thats broken, but swapped it with a different ethernet cable andnothing.

for your Asus router did you have to setup anything beside iptv (setting it manually to 35) and PPPOE?

I have tv as well, so in IPTV section I have vlan 35 for internet and 36 for TV.

I am assuming you using windows 10? If so go to play store and download ookla speed test app for windows 10 or visit https://www.speedtest.net/apps for apps for your platform then do speed test in app.

You should get much better result this time hopefully with no problems.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200412-000906_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20200412-000906_Samsung Internet.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 146
Last edited:
I have tv as well, so in IPTV section I have vlan 35 for internet and 36 for TV.

I am assuming you using windows 10? If so go to play store and download ookla speed test app for windows 10 or visit https://www.speedtest.net/apps for apps for your platform then do speed test in app.

You should get much better result this time hopefully with no problems.

Hey, thank you for that! my tests did improve with the app downloaded 855.41 and 781. not awful pretty happy with it. Gonna test the media convertor and compare it to the home hub for the next couple of days to see how it goes. cheers!

edit I did test the speeds again with the hh300 943 and 800 any clue why my media convertor is performing worse? would like to ditch my hh3000 but 100 down is kinda huge 10% ish

Last edited:
There is technical reason why media converter is performing worse I will try to explain it.

In fiber optic communication downstream data is seen by all connections which share same splitter usually 32 to 1 ratio. However not all connections are active at same time or some may belong to customer which ones were actively subscribed but not anymore.

Let take example, say your customer A and there is B C D with you on same splitter, so when B recieve information from bell, A, C, D sees it as well but will drop it, since it is not for them, same with others.

When you use home hub, sfp sync at 2.5 Gbps downstream and 1.2 upstream. Remember downstream are shared and every sfp get all packets regardless it is for them or other sfp. However when you use media converter it sync only at 1 Gbps up and down, as you can see in this case your speed is less, since they are other active subscribers as well and there packets are delivered to you as well, it just you sfp discard it, but they take bandwidth to deliver.

If you like you can read article it talks about same thing which I summarized, but with pictures and also talk about how data travel from user to isp.

http://www.gpon.com/how-gpon-works

Last edited:
There is technical reason why media converter is performing worse I will try to explain it.

In fiber optic communication downstream data is seen by all connections which share same splitter usually 32 to 1 ratio. However not all connections are active at same time or some may belong to customer which ones were actively subscribed but not anymore.

Let take example, say your customer A and there is B C D with you on same splitter, so when B recieve information from bell, A, C, D sees it as well but will drop it, since it is not for them, same with others.

When you use home hub, sfp sync at 2.5 Gbps downstream and 1.2 upstream. Remember downstream are shared and every sfp get all packets regardless it is for them or other sfp. However when you use media converter it sync only at 1 Gbps up and down, as you can see in this case your speed is less, since they are other active subscribers as well and there packets are delivered to you as well, it just you sfp discard it, but they take bandwidth to deliver.

If you like you can read article it talks about same thing which I summarized, but with pictures and also talk about how data travel from user to isp.

http://www.gpon.com/how-gpon-works
interesting, you think you can tell me what made you get a media convertor if it wasn't the speed? I got mine thinking it will drop latency and increase speed but that is not true according to you and the article

interesting, you think you can tell me what made you get a media convertor if it wasn't the speed? I got mine thinking it will drop latency and increase speed but that is not true according to you and the article

My main reason is simple, I don't like using ISP equipment, since they have full control over it. In fact first thing I did after install is to put hh3000 in closest and it is collecting dust ever since. Also after market router generally give way more options than isp combo device would. Lastly my RT-Ax88u has better range than hh3000.

Regardig speed where I live, the splitter which service me is not that full or have many connections. That is why I get 900+ most of the time.

My main reason is simple, I don't like using ISP equipment, first thing I did after install is to put hh3000 in closest and it is collecting dust ever since. Also after market router generally give way more options than isp combo device would. Lastly my RT-Ax88u has better range than hh3000.
Yeah I understand that but how is using a media convertor any different than just setting up PPPOE without the media convertor? Again I had the 2nd test (hh300 with 950mpbs) while modem is setup in PPPOE

Yeah I understand that but how is using a media convertor any different than just setting up PPPOE without the media convertor? Again I had the 2nd test (hh300 with 950mpbs) while modem is setup in PPPOE

Okay when you using hh3000, it is broadcasting wifi on 5 ghz for tv which can't be turned off, even if you turn off all other options. Broadcasting 5 ghz for no use in my humble opinion is waste of shared frequency, also then there is spouse factor, my wife doesn't like to much electronics right next to tv. Can't argue with her, if I wanna live in same home.

Okay when you using hh3000, it is broadcasting wifi on 5 ghz for tv which can't be turned off, even if you turn off all other options. Broadcasting 5 ghz for no use in my humble opinion is waste of shared frequency, also then there is spouse factor, my wife doesn't like to much electronics right next to tv. Can't argue with her, if I wanna live in same home.
In your humble opinion, if there is no spouse factor and I do not care about the 5ghz connection. should I really care to keep the media convertor?

In your humble opinion, if there is no spouse factor and I do not care about the 5ghz connection. should I really care to keep the media convertor?

Nope, in fact there is no point to keep it.

Your experience first hand that with hh3000 you get full speed, also if you ever need to call bell for tech support you will need to have hh3000 plugged in before they offer support. With hh3000 plugged in and asus router plugged in hh3000, you already taken steps necessary to get support thus not waste time at that time.

I would return it, and just use hh3000 in place of media converter. If you decide to use your asus router, make sure under IPTV section there is no vlan 35, and isp profile set to none from drop down. HH3000 will do vlan tagging for you.

Last edited:
Y
Nope, in fact there is no point to keep it.

Your experience first hand that with hh3000 you get full speed, also if you ever need to call bell for tech support you will need to have hh3000 plugged in before they offer support. With hh3000 plugged in and asus router plugged in hh3000, you already taken steps necessary to get support thus not waste time at that time.

I would return it, and just use hh3000 in place of media converter. If you decide to use your asus router, make sure under IPTV section there is no vlan 35, and isp profile set to none from drop down. HH3000 will do vlan tagging for you.

Thanks for the response. will be returning the media convertor

Be aware that even though it’s 1.5 g that the ONT is still GPON which is 2.6g shared among 32 others

You are at the mercy of your 31 neighbours

Plus their backhaul is still 10G at the OLT

Rogers/etc are no better but manage your expectations

Bell uses 16 splits not 32.

The issue he is having here with the media converter syncing at 1gbps you lose abit of speed. With H3000 sync's internally at 2.5Gbps.

And there is no comparison here to rogers on Docsis cable a typical cable node has 80-120 users on it. You will always get more dedicated bandwidth on fiber.

I'm using the same ISP but on the 1000/750 package, however I can hit 940.

This has nothing do to with the Router or Merlin firmware.

There is more information on this on DSL reports on the bell sub forum.

Bell uses 16 splits not 32.

The issue he is having here with the media converter syncing at 1gbps you lose abit of speed. With H3000 sync's internally at 2.5Gbps.

And there is no comparison here to rogers on Docsis cable a typical cable node has 80-120 users on it. You will always get more dedicated bandwidth on fiber.

I'm using the same ISP but on the 1000/750 package, however I can hit 940.

This has nothing do to with the Router or Merlin firmware.

There is more information on this on DSL reports on the bell sub forum.

Even though there are 32 Ports on splitter, however bell doesn't use more than 16, leaving spare for standby. That is what I was told, but may be I am wrong or misunderstood.

Even though there are 32 Ports on splitter, however bell doesn't use more than 16, leaving spare for standby. That is what I was told, but may be I am wrong or misunderstood.

This is correct.

For FTTH products, you can find Baudcom.

I'm going to assume you work for this company since this is your first post.

Can you ask them to create a Media converter that will do 10/100/1Gbps/2.5Gbps

all of the media converters only do 10/100/1000 and some people now have access to fiber faster than 1Gbps. My ISP offers a 1.5Gbps connection.

All the media converters only do 10/100/1000, that's right. Maybe after several years, 2.5Gbps will be on the market, technology's developing fast.

Several years is too late. As I said there are already connections fast enough on the market. There are other options like Switches to get around this just a tad expensive. Whatever company releases one that will do 2.5Gbps and is first to market will get all those sales.