What's new

RT-AC88U LAN CONNECTION FAILING

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

jak8

Occasional Visitor
I have used an AC68U for 5 years with no problem but unfortunately upgraded to the higher port RT-AC88U 6 months ago and have noticed it appears to be unstable on its Lan C0nnections. When one examines the network the number of devices connected flashes and the LAN connections are shown to be intermittent- flashing off and on. The actual connection to the lans does not reflect this so it has not bothered me unduly until recently I lost total connection to one lan device. in total. I rebooted innumerable times to no avail and checked lan cables but it was n't until I changed the port that I managed to get a connection and then became aware of the classic port 5-8 problem associated with these routers. I decided to try unplugging and rebooting and found I did have connection on port 6 so it does not appear to necessarily that problem. The router has been stable ever since unplugging days ago but the flashing of network devices continues and I am just waiting to loose connectionon a lan connected device again. Apart from this the router appears to function fine but I expect more from ASUS. I am tempted to upgrade to an AX but question if they perform any better? Is this weakness resolved in AX or do I need to purchase another manufacturers router. I have always run Merlin but don't think it has anything to do with the problem. I have not tried a factory reset. Should I or is this behavior an accepted weakness.

If I remember correctly, ports 5-8 have issues on the RT-AC88U in that they stop working. Ports 1-4 do not seem to have this issue. If you need more than 4 ports the cheapest solution is to get a switch and connect it to one of the ports in the 1-4 range.

Thread 'ASUS RT-AC88U losing LAN Clients'
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/asus-rt-ac88u-losing-lan-clients.76079/

The best that you can do as @Smokey613 already stated is to get a switch to use more than Ports 1-4. This is a theme (eventually) with all/most Asus routers with 8 Ports. AC or AX variants.

You can try to power down your router/entire network for a minute or two, but the problem will return and most likely get worse.

Since using Ports 1-4 (only) and using a $20 switch to add any additional ports you may need solves this issue, I don't think this is a reason to go to another brand (with worse overall products).

Should the 8 ports work? Yes. That only 4 work reliably is unfortunate but is easily dealt with.

A factory reset doesn't solve this issue (permanently). Simply powering down the router for a few minutes is (almost) equivalent.

If I remember correctly, ports 5-8 have issues on the RT-AC88U in that they stop working. Ports 1-4 do not seem to have this issue. If you need more than 4 ports the cheapest solution is to get a switch and connect it to one of the ports in the 1-4 range.

Thread 'ASUS RT-AC88U losing LAN Clients'
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/asus-rt-ac88u-losing-lan-clients.76079/

The best that you can do as @Smokey613 already stated is to get a switch to use more than Ports 1-4. This is a theme (eventually) with all/most Asus routers with 8 Ports. AC or AX variants.

You can try to power down your router/entire network for a minute or two, but the problem will return and most likely get worse.

Since using Ports 1-4 (only) and using a $20 switch to add any additional ports you may need solves this issue, I don't think this is a reason to go to another brand (with worse overall products).

Should the 8 ports work? Yes. That only 4 work reliably is unfortunate but is easily dealt with.

A factory reset doesn't solve this issue (permanently). Simply powering down the router for a few minutes is (almost) equivalent.
Well I have port 6 working now and I have had the system virtually functioning correctly for about 5 or 6 months. I do admit I have not closely monitored it but it does n't seem that bad. It was only when I totally lost one of the ports that I really started poking around and considered upgrading to an AX - if it resolved the problem. Very disappointed by Asus and not keen to have another gadget to overcome a poor faulty design. Amazed they have not had more flax. Piss poor really - pay for 8 and get 4!!!
Where else would this be accepted.

The easy recommendation is to not use ports 5-8 at all. They will fail/flake out eventually. The reason is that it isn't a single 8-Port switch, it is 2x 4 Port switches attached (electrically) together - that is where the issues begin.

I agree, not acceptable. My solution? I don't buy any Asus 8 Port routers. At least, not for the ports.

It is very annoying but hey ho such is life says a man who has suffered one cardiac arrest and then driven home 2000 miles in a very large motorhome within 10 days after having an ICD fitted. Thankfully Asus don't make such devices.

So now I have lan ports 2,3,4 and 6 functioning - plus load of wireless devices! Madness.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!