What's new

Release RT-AC88U New Firmware Version 3.0.0.4.386.41535

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

RKL

Occasional Visitor
Released on 30th, anyone already tested?
With previous update issues, im kinda hesitant to do it...also other model with same firmware version running into some issues - slow speeds, higher cpu temp, etc

If anyone decided to update please share if all working as expected and if log entry is still flooded with unneeded entries - kernel: portsLinkStaus=X

I updated the firmware today, but have been having some problems.

After the update I first looked at the log to see if the flood of messages was resolved. It seems it was.

I then selected the Network Map and the system hung. I was not getting any response from the router either on the PC (wired connection) or the Asus router app on my Android phone. I unplugged the router and restarted it, but it still failed. I could get to the log in screen, but once I logged in it stopped responding. During this issue the router was still working for all connected devices... it was only the web interface to the router configuration that was problematic.

I did another power down and up again. This time, using the browser history I went immediately to a different page on the router (e.g. Admin) at which time it first ran me through the log in and then got to the right page. All seemed well after that.

Later though, I went into the router to make a change on one of my guest networks. It seems that in many cases I could Apply a change, I would see the percentage indicator complete, but then the router would stop responding. Looking at the lights it seems that router was restarting itself so I'm suspecting the firmware may be crashing.

I have also noticed what I think may be different behavior from before. I use MAC filtering for everything and I also use manual IP assignments for all my devices in the 192.168.1.1xx range. Now when I look at the client list, those items on the guest networks no longer use the manual IP assignments but rather DHCP in the 192.168.101.xxx range for the 2.4GHz guest network and 192.168.102.xxx for the 5GHz range. I don;t ever recall seeing it that way before.

Also I have a DISH Hopper that connects to the 5GHz guest network. Now both the Hopper and Joey devices show up in the client list as Wired, not wireless.

I'm thinking I should revert back, but not sure how to safely do so. Or, just not change the config and hope a fixed version is released soon.

I installed last night...

I have AC88U router and an AC68P node. I’ve been running aimesh for about 4 months and have had connectivity reliability issues. I think it was happening either because of smart connect or because the devices weren’t changing over to the closest node or router. Anyway, I have been waiting awhile for the 386 version to be released officially.

I updated last night and my starting experience with the update is similar to the post above.

After I updated and rebooted, the router would seem to freeze up when I would enter my credentials at the login screen. All my wireless clients still had connectivity to the internet but I could not login to the router using the html interface or mobile app.

I tried physically rebooting the router and node several times, and kept having the same issue whenever I tried to login. Finally, I did a reset using the the reset buttons on both the the 88U and 68P.

After that, I was able to login with no issues. I reconfigured the router and node for aimesh, but I had failed aimesh connections to the node until I moved the node closer to the router (I am using wireless backhaul).

It’s been about 24 hours since I updated and reset the router and node, and I dont seem to be having any issues!

My connectivity issues with the clients seems resolved (but it’s only been 24 hours) and the reliability when switching between the node and router is improved.

If you are having firmware stability issues, I would recommend resetting the router and any nodes you have.

Last edited:
I installed last night...

I have AC88U router and an AC68P node. I’ve been running aimesh for about 4 months and have had connectivity reliability issues. I think it was happening either because of smart connect or because the devices weren’t changing over to the closest node or router. Anyway, I have been waiting awhile for the 386 version to be released officially.

I updated last night and my starting experience with the update is similar to the post above.

After I updated and rebooted, the router would seem to freeze up when I would enter my credentials at the login screen. All my wireless clients still had connectivity to the internet but I could not login to the router using the html interface or mobile app.

I tried physically rebooting the router and node several times, and kept having the same issue whenever I tried to login. Finally, I did a reset using the the reset buttons on both the the 88U and 68P.

After that, I was able to login with no issues. I reconfigured the router and node for aimesh, but I had failed aimesh connections to the node until I moved the node closer to the router (I am using wireless backhaul).

It’s been about 24 hours since I updated and reset the router and node, and I dont seem to be having any issues!

My connectivity issues with the clients seems resolved (but it’s only been 24 hours) and the reliability when switching between the node and router is improved.

If you are having firmware stability issues, I would recommend resetting the router and any nodes you have.

Read this reset FAQ.

OE

hello.

to those who did the firmware update, can you paste the result of the command
Code:
pwr show

I have an RT-AC3100 as a main router and two RT-AC68U's as mesh nodes. I had been running this combination of firmware without many issues:

RT-AC3100 - 3.0.0.4.385_20631-g0c36149 (main)
RT-AC68U - 3.0.0.4.386_40558-gc48f410 (mesh nodes)

On Dec 30 I saw the upgrade notice and upgraded the main router to 3.0.0.4.386_41535. Almost immediately started having issues: could not login to the web interface and the ASUS Router app was no longer displaying the mesh nodes, or unable to connect altogether Although there was still network connectivity, bandwidth seemed to be reduced a lot.

I did factory reset on all three devices and reconfigured the mesh. Seemed to work OK for a day, but then the same problems started to happen again.

So then I downgraded the RT-AC3100 back to 3.0.0.4.385_20631. Everything is working fine again.

It seems that FW version 3.0.0.4.386_41535 has a problem with the web interface, mesh setup, app connectivity, etc. at least when using the RT-AC3100 as main node. I guess I will wait for a further fix before upgrading again.

I had problems with the web interface on my RT-AC88U after the update. So this morning I did a reset and entered in all the configurations and it seems to have solved the missing UI issue.

This new firmware caused Xfinity to disable my internet connection to my Netgear CM500 modem. They tried resetting it and only after I rolled back to 630 were they able to restore my internet. I just updated to 631 and that is where I'm staying.

Of course I tried resetting the router just as the log states. I'll be skipping this version and if it does the same thing to the ax88u, my other router, I'll be skipping it there too!

I would have changed ISP! :D

The last thing the tech did was push a new software update on my modem after which it allowed my router with 631 installed to connect to the internet. I've never had a router firmware update do anything like this before to my ISP.

I'll ask again, what is '631'? Where is it installed?

??? and 631? Hmm.

Did you try resetting the router instead?

Asus AiMesh 2.0 Big Changes in 2021 - Here's What Features They Added - Firmware Update Dec 30, 2020 - YouTube

The person in the video above with your identical router (not ISP, of course) seems to have a very stable network so far.

Hey look someone found my random youtube video about AiMesh! haha. So yes I did have the web UI issue as well after the firmware update on my 88U. But that's not the first time I've had the web UI go down on an Asus router... I know there is a SSH command to restart just that http service but I just restart the router. The restart was slow and I thought something was wrong but after that restart and a restart of all the nodes it was up and running back to normal. I haven't had a problem since.

Hello guys. New to the forum. Anyone having trouble with DST Setting not changing the system time?

I'm on 386.41535 on my AC88U for a few days now.
Have not seen any bad effects.
A software reboot after firmware upgrade didn't enable admin login; I had to do a hardware reboot. I didn't do a factory reset; there are over 2900 settings (IIRC) when I exported them from nvram, some customized, that I don't want to have to manually restore.

They finally fixed the portsLinkStatus message flooding the syslog, Yay!
New icons to show which devices are connected via Guest network. :)

Source: https://www.asus.com/us/Networking/RT-AC88U/HelpDesk_BIOS/

Last edited:
Released on 30th, anyone already tested?
With previous update issues, im kinda hesitant to do it...also other model with same firmware version running into some issues - slow speeds, higher cpu temp, etc

If anyone decided to update please share if all working as expected and if log entry is still flooded with unneeded entries - kernel: portsLinkStaus=X

I updated and did a factory reset (by mistake). Then I had to update the firmware for all 4 nodes one by one and reconnect them.
Now the router disconnect everything several times a day!
Like a watchdog reset or something. For me this is not stable at all. I really regret the update.
What Shall I do? Going back is an option but then I guess I have to downgrade all nodes?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!