What's new

RT-AC88U No Modem Connection

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

FuzzyG

New Around Here
This is copied from the Reddit post I made earlier.

I have rebooted and unplugged/replugged the modem and router. I have swapped ethernet cables, and that's not the issue. I factory reset my router. I downloaded the latest firmware from Asuswrt Merlin. Nothing's working. My router keeps saying there's no connection to the modem. Direct connection to the modem works, so the modem isn't the issue.

I am not really very networking savvy, but I know how to set up networks and monitor them. I just don't get how it would suddenly lose the ability to connect to my modem. Nothing changed, and it's worked great for over a year. Thanks in advance.

Sounds like the port is dead. Have you tested the WAN port connecting to something other than the modem?

Sent from my MI 5 using Tapatalk

Sounds like the port is dead. Have you tested the WAN port connecting to something other than the modem?

Sorry, like I said, I'm not very networking savvy. What else could I connect to the WAN port?

Sorry, like I said, I'm not very networking savvy. What else could I connect to the WAN port?
What happens if you change Network Monitoring from DNS Query to Ping 1.1.1.1?

Just to clarify, have you checked link state when connected to the router in the tools section? From what you've said it's hard to determine if you're not getting link or you're just not getting internet. I'm not sure if you're bridged and using a ppoe client or your obtaining a dhcp address from the modem etc

Assuming the simplest scenario and your just not getting link, plugging the WAN port into a laptop or PC and seeing if the connection is detected would be the quickest way.

If it's detected and you want to go one step further, you could enable internet connection sharing in windows (don't know the Mac equivalent) and see if the router can obtain an IP.

Make sure you're checking the system logs on the router for any anomalies or information on what you're try to get working.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!