What's new

RT-AC88U on 386.16 having WiFi dropouts

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Astomono

Occasional Visitor
Hi all, I have a RT-AC88U running Merlin 384.16.0 (also tried 384.17.beta1)

The problem I’m having is devices keep getting disconnected from the router (MacBook + Sony Bravia Smart TV + Windows Laptops)- they’re all wirelessly connected. I’ve tried troubleshooting by following L&LD’s M&M Config and Nuclear Reset guides to see if that cancels the issue. I’m still getting the same thing. The only thing that changed recently was an update to Merlin 384.16.0 -previously on 384.15.0.

I don’t have any other routers on the network nor any repeaters/extenders and my ISP router is in modem mode. I’m running Skynet+Diversion and nothing else.

I’ve attached some of the info from the Syslog but I don’t really know what it means.

Apr 22 23:43:20 syslog: WLCEVENTD wlceventd_proc_event(401): eth2: Disassoc A4:5E:60:DA:74:47, status: 0, reason: Disassociated because sending station is leaving (or has left) BSS (8)
Apr 22 23:43:20 syslog: WLCEVENTD wlceventd_proc_event(420): eth2: Auth A4:5E:60:DA:74:47, status: 0, reason: d11 RC reserved (0)
Apr 22 23:43:20 syslog: WLCEVENTD wlceventd_proc_event(430): eth2: ReAssoc A4:5E:60:DA:74:47, status: 0, reason: d11 RC reserved (0)

Any help would be appreciated in case I’m missing something!

Last edited:
Try using a new/never before used (by any of your client devices) SSID in the Guest network and see if the disconnects continue. :)

Make sure that the SSID is 8 alphanumeric characters long and doesn't have any spaces, special characters, punctuation, or smiley faces. Test with a password that is 16 characters long with the same attributes.

Try using a new/never before used (by any of your client devices) SSID in the Guest network and see if the disconnects continue. :)

Make sure that the SSID is 8 alphanumeric characters long and doesn't have any spaces, special characters, punctuation, or smiley faces. Test with a password that is 16 characters long with the same attributes.

After a couple hours of observation, i'v not experienced any wifi drop outa when connected to the guest network. I'm wondering what the issue could be :confused:

What’s a bit odd is each time I reset the router, I use different WiFi names so [emoji2375]

(Thanks for the help!)

Last edited:
Are you using the attributes suggested above each time?

I use alphanumeric characters each time although sometimes the SSID is less than 8 characters. The password/s (2.4GHz & 5GHz separate) are generally 15/16 characters long.

Less than 8 characters should be fine, 4 characters or less gave real issues from what I remember. :)

Just as an anecdotal example, I've used an SSID for the past three or four years that begins with a . and only has three alphanumeric characters after that. As far as I know I've never had any issue and this comprises devices of all different sorts.

@richardeid if it works, don't change! When issues start, then start exploring 'best practices'. :)

You might want to try the usual search within the forum for general recommendations on wireless stability settings, OR, ... just drop over here (and here) where I added my recommendations specifically for stability on an AiMesh setup, but the same principles apply in general for better wireless stability. Fixed channels, and all the rest (as seen in the other thread).
Good luck.

I’ve already made the recommended stability changes (disabled airtime fairness, disabled mu-MIMO, disabled implicit bean forming etc) straight after the m&m config