What's new

RT-AC88U remaining life?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

mctubster

New Around Here
Hi, currently running Merlin on a AX3000 and a AC68U as a mesh node. I really need extra ethernet ports and recently discovered the RT-AC88U had 8!

Anyone have an opinion if "sidegrading" the AX3000 to a AC88U is a bad idea? Not really worried about AX speeds (don't even have any AX devices)!

Anything else I should be worried about?

Appreciate it.

I couldn't recommend the RT-AC88U when it came out (the sister model with 4 ports is though, the RT-AC3100), today the RT-AC88U is not really a good consideration.

I would suggest the RT-AC86U and a simple unmanaged switch instead. If the RT-AX88U is not in your budget, of course.

Thank you for the replies. I have over the years tried an unmanaged ethernet switch to get more ports. But I've had odd behavior where after a power cut I have issues between the Asus router (AC68u) and switch ... almost like the speed neg fails between them and have to reboot the switch once the router is fully booted. I tried with two different switch brands too and then gave up. But I really need more ports again with some automation bridges joining the party. I will try again and do some testing I guess

Thank you for the replies. I have over the years tried an unmanaged ethernet switch to get more ports. But I've had odd behavior where after a power cut I have issues between the Asus router (AC68u) and switch ... almost like the speed neg fails between them and have to reboot the switch once the router is fully booted. I tried with two different switch brands too and then gave up. But I really need more ports again with some automation bridges joining the party. I will try again and do some testing I guess
As much as I respect both l&ld and Merlin I have to put a good word in for the ac 88 I have been using one for years with Merlin firmware and it never has missed a beat . Having said that when I did buy it the 86u or ax 88 were not around and when this one actually dies I will definitely get the rt ax 88 u

Put them both on a cheap UPS.

As much as I respect both l&ld and Merlin I have to put a good word in for the ac 88 I have been using one for years with Merlin firmware and it never has missed a beat . Having said that when I did buy it the 86u or ax 88 were not around and when this one actually dies I will definitely get the rt ax 88 u
Thanks. I may sell the AX3000 and one AC68U and grab the AX88. I did not realise it existed!