What's new

RT-AC88U vs RT-AC86U as main router

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

MaartenM

New Around Here
Hello

I've been using an RT-AC88U for a while now (running MerlinWRT), with an RT-AC86U as AImesh node. For my low-performance needs, I have no complaints,
apart from the 2nd bank of LAN parts failing from time to time (solved by a reset).

-> However... a few weeks ago, my router performed a full factory reset on it's own.
Since the router is getting older, I opted to order a replacement RT-AC88u. However, I just read in wouterv's sticky post that the AC86U actually sports a faster CPU.

Brings me to the question to whether I should configure the AC86U or the AC88U as my main router.
The 'faulty' or 'untrusthworthy' AC88U I will configure as AIMesh point in the attic.

Thanks in advance
Best regards
M

Hello

I've been using an RT-AC88U for a while now (running MerlinWRT), with an RT-AC86U as AImesh node. For my low-performance needs, I have no complaints,
apart from the 2nd bank of LAN parts failing from time to time (solved by a reset).

-> However... a few weeks ago, my router performed a full factory reset on it's own.
Since the router is getting older, I opted to order a replacement RT-AC88u. However, I just read in wouterv's sticky post that the AC86U actually sports a faster CPU.

Brings me to the question to whether I should configure the AC86U or the AC88U as my main router.
The 'faulty' or 'untrusthworthy' AC88U I will configure as AIMesh point in the attic.

Thanks in advance
Best regards
M

If the AC86U is a more recent build (it is) with stronger hardware specs (probably), then I would use it as the router.

OE

@MaartenM

I bought my AC88 new, then moved it to AP when the AC86 was released.
The AC86 is HND optimized, which the AC88 is not.
Always utilized RMerlin FW, and this has worked well for The Griswald's.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!