What's new

RT-AC88U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

So here's another data point for those still undecided about the RT-AC88U.

That number looks like wired over gigabit ethernet - 94.4MB/s * 8 = 755Mbit/Sec - since this is TCP, and wifi being half-duplex, this suggests that you have 1510.4 channel utilization...

We know that the PCE-AC68 cannot do this... as the absolute PHY rate on that card is 1300 Mbps on MCS9 with 3SS - and considering that poster suggests that router and client are one floor different...

That number looks like wired over gigabit ethernet - 94.4MB/s * 8 = 755Mbit/Sec - since this is TCP, and wifi being half-duplex, this suggests that you have 1510.4 channel utilization...

We know that the PCE-AC68 cannot do this... as the absolute PHY rate on that card is 1300 Mbps on MCS9 with 3SS - and considering that poster suggests that router and client are one floor different...

:) so........ I'm lying? :) Guess I need to make a video? You are hilarious!

I'm able to reach 55-70 MB/s with a 2x2 Intel 7265AC here (dependingon my laptop's position), with a 866 Mbps link rate, so I'd say getting 90 MB/s out of a 3x3 client isn't impossible.

I had a hard time myself believing the results first time I benchmarked wifi throughput, and thought they were caused by the fact I was running a beta firmware, with the wireless driver set into debug mode. I still get the same results with the final firmware release. It's definitely way better than all of my past 802.11ac routers.

Definitely looking forward to some scientific benchmark results from reviews.

Here's mine, on a 1.4 GB file transferred from my NAS over 5 GHz wifi (Intel 7265AC with a 866 Mbps link). Laptop is about 3-4 meters away from the router.

wifi_perf.png

Surprised no reviews out of this router yet...

I'm sure it has been mentioned, but this router uses different driver/chipset for the 5GHz than the 87U? No qualcomm ?

You really are a funny guy sfx2000!

Happy Holidays!

I'm sure it has been mentioned, but this router uses different driver/chipset for the 5GHz than the 87U? No qualcomm ?

Broadcom BCM4366 for each radio.

:) so........ I'm lying? :) Guess I need to make a video? You are hilarious!

I'm calling you on it... you can play forum video stuff, but at the end of the day, numbers count...

iperf - TCP and UDP results - run it and see...

It's pretty early, and I'm a bit surprised that Asus basically dropped this onto the markets without any web-site pumps... not just SNB, but the base enthusiast sites...

Esp. considering that the RT-AC3100/AC-88U/AC-5300 is a blitz for 2016 (and the roll-on into the 2015 holiday season) - it's a strong product lineup...

This is realistic, IMHO...

70 MB/s out of a 866 Mbps link, or 94 MB/s out of a 1100-1300-ish link - the maths do add up IMHO.

It's pretty early, and I'm a bit surprised that Asus basically dropped this onto the markets without any web-site pumps... not just SNB, but the base enthusiast sites...

Esp. considering that the RT-AC3100/AC-88U/AC-5300 is a blitz for 2016 (and the roll-on into the 2015 holiday season) - it's a strong product lineup...

For various reasons, Asus has never been big on providing review samples to websites ahead of launch. Historically, the reason they usually gave was that they preferred reviewers to wait a bit as they were still tweaking performance. With the AC88/AC3100 however the current firmware is already pretty good, and I'm not aware of any big feature that isn't ready yet (unlike past years where, for instance, AiCloud only got added a few months after the RT-AC68U launch).

At the price those routers are now costing, it will become difficult for review sites to actually spend 300-400$ on a product just to write a review.

(in case you are wondering, my personal case is different, as I deal directly with their product managers / R&D department back at Taiwan HQ, not with their regional marketing teams).

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!