What's new

RT-AC88U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Ya but one r7500 is one client so you still need another for any positive effect. Plus I will never understand this never ending quest for wireless speed. My home is a client rich environment, and I am far from the capacity of my wireless router. It must be bragging rights or something. It may be similar to the big truck little man syndrome (Ten inch lift, huge mudders and then a guy 5' 4" crawls out of it).
I figured using the 88U as the main router and bridging the R7500v2 if it's possible. I just like messing around with tech.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

I figured using the 88U as the main router and bridging the R7500v2 if it's possible. I just like messing around with tech.
When you do that, MU-MIMO will not come into play. As has been pointed out multiple times, you need two MU STAs to get any advantage from MU-MIMO. A 4x4 MU STA connected to a 4x4 MU AP doesn't use MU.

When you do that, MU-MIMO will not come into play. As has been pointed out multiple times, you need two MU STAs to get any advantage from MU-MIMO. A 4x4 MU STA connected to a 4x4 MU AP doesn't use MU.

Thanks Tim. So where's the beta firmware ASUS promised?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

...just got it...installing....thank you, Asus!

Mikrotik(for routing) + AC88U(for 5Ghz) + AC68U(for 2.4Ghz) + Cisco switch(for NAS link aggregation)

...just got it...installing....thank you, Asus!

Mikrotik(for routing) + AC88U(for 5Ghz) + AC68U(for 2.4Ghz) + Cisco switch(for NAS link aggregation)
Let us know how it performs.

Yeah man just picked up the R7500v2 for cheap.

getting an R7500v2 will not gain you any MU-MIMO benefit lol

its 4x4 to 4x4 so its same as normal MIMO lmfao

Anyone else have a USB drive connected to the AC88? The drive won't sleep when not in use...

I disabled all USB services I use (SAMBA & DLNA) and the drive does now go to sleep after some period of non-use. But I need those features. My external USB3.0 drive has a light that goes into "hear beat" when sleeping, otherwise it stays solid when in use.

so heres where im confused

MU-MIMO is available on 3x3 but not 4x4 on the new routers

so for example does this mean a 4x4 client can exist while 2 2x2 clients use MU-MIMO, i dont think so.....

my assumtion is that even using 4 streams on a 4x4 MU-MIMO router will break MU-MIMO functionality for now ( i have looked and broadcoms enterprise MU-MIMO chips CAN DO 4x4 MU-MIMO)

so my next question would be is when we have 4x4 MU-MIMO capability and a 4x4 NON MIMO client will MU-MIMO keep working for other links (even tho be hindered by the 4x4 non MU-MIMO)

i mean even if your using MU-MIMO and you connect a MU-MIMO 4x4 AP your throughput on other devices is gonna go 1/2 logically (although it will probably get all of it if the 4x4 MU-MIMO AP is not moving traffic

i believe QCA 9994 and 9984 have 4x4 mu-mimo support while 9990 and 9980 have 4x4 but 3x3 MU-MIMO

Anyone else have a USB drive connected to the AC88? The drive won't sleep when not in use...

I disabled all USB services I use (SAMBA & DLNA) and the drive does now go to sleep after some period of non-use. But I need those features. My external USB3.0 drive has a light that goes into "hear beat" when sleeping, otherwise it stays solid when in use.
I have two drives connected both go to sleep when not in use using latest Merlin build

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

so heres where im confused

MU-MIMO is available on 3x3 but not 4x4 on the new routers

so for example does this mean a 4x4 client can exist while 2 2x2 clients use MU-MIMO, i dont think so.....

my assumtion is that even using 4 streams on a 4x4 MU-MIMO router will break MU-MIMO functionality for now ( i have looked and broadcoms enterprise MU-MIMO chips CAN DO 4x4 MU-MIMO)

so my next question would be is when we have 4x4 MU-MIMO capability and a 4x4 NON MIMO client will MU-MIMO keep working for other links (even tho be hindered by the 4x4 non MU-MIMO)

i mean even if your using MU-MIMO and you connect a MU-MIMO 4x4 AP your throughput on other devices is gonna go 1/2 logically (although it will probably get all of it if the 4x4 MU-MIMO AP is not moving traffic

i believe QCA 9994 and 9984 have 4x4 mu-mimo support while 9990 and 9980 have 4x4 but 3x3 MU-MIMO

MU is pretty complex - but what it really does come down to - there's a fair amount of overhead on the sounding/ranging part to find the clients, build out the beam forming matrix, and then move the traffic over...

QCA, on their 4*4:4 MU chipsets, basically has stated very best case for MU is a 3-stream client, which makes sense... to have MU, you have to have more than a single MU capable client, so if you have a 3 stream client that supports MU, and a single stream - one might get MU...

I've been chatting offline with a person that was attempting to do some MU testing for research purposes by using multiple AP's (from another vendor, but using a QCA solution) and we found that even with the device in client mode, it wouldn't do MU - which makes sense, as it's faster to do SU on a 4*4:4 connection than to do MU across the same pipe...

Remember - best case is that MU on a client basis is going to be no faster than SU, but what MU offers is a capacity benefit in the airtime perspective...

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!