What's new

RT-AC88U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Only just started looking at this router as an upgrade from the AC68U.

What do people think between the 86U and 88U? Some of the 86U's specs are better than the more expensive 88U.
AC86U outperforms the 88U especially in vpn processing! Hugely outperforms it. I have both and the 88U is now on the shelf, collecting dust, no need for it.

Comparison with data in the hand... ;)

Proof of greatly improved VPN performance and the reasons for it are spread among several threads in this forum website. RMerlin's thread on the AC86U in the VPN subforum has the most information.

VPN performance! ;)
yeah, AC88U; 50 to 60 Mbps, AC86U 140 to 160 Mbps. All things being equal, 86U is vastly superior in vpn encryption and rivals that of a macbook i7 processor. The AC88U chugs along, very inefficient in comparison to the 86U when managing AES-256-GCM cipher. Of course the AC86U has an 1800 MHz processor under the hood. By and large, dollar for dollar....the 86U blows the piss outta the 88U.
Satisfied?

It’s not the clock speed per se as the A53 is actually per every MHz slightly less efficient than the A9, however the hardware crypto acceleration is what gives it the edge.

yeah, AC88U; 50 to 60 Mbps, AC86U 140 to 160 Mbps. All things being equal, 86U is vastly superior in vpn encryption and rivals that of a macbook i7 processor. The AC88U chugs along, very inefficient in comparison to the 86U when managing AES-256-GCM cipher. Of course the AC86U has an 1800 MHz processor under the hood. By and large, dollar for dollar....the 86U blows the piss outta the 88U.
Satisfied?
Absolutely, very impressed.
Tests made by you?
Me with RT-AC88U and ExpressVPN... with server of my country... max 30-40 MB.

Tests made by you?
My point is that the 86U outperforms the 88U using openVPN.... all day long. Tested it with 5 vpn services on a 150/30 Mbps fiber connection. My server speeds from SE Asia to west coast and mid-west US locations jumped from 30/40 Mbps to 80/120 Mbps, 150/160 Mbps with same country server. The numbers don't lie but tell the story.

I think it is a well documented fact presented in some tests performed by contributors in SNB forums. Test one out, see for yourself. I'm certain you won't be disappointed.

Last edited:
Tests made by you?

RMerlin himself mentioned his testing of the 86U’s VPN performance here in the SNB forums.

Has anyone tested Merlins firmware or ddwrt on a6 version of the ac88u router ? i just got mine back from rma sent a brand new one has been rock solid so far on stock firmware.

I have 2 of these routers. One is in 5GHz wireless bridge mode to the main router. Daily the wireless bridge mode router has to be reset because it will drop internet connection randomly. The main router however has never had an issue.

Is it that nobody else has this problem? I thought being able to use these like this was a feature. I'm approaching my second year or ownership of both of these and the issue has never gone away. Also every time I update the firmware on the router the data usage logs vanish.
I have this issue. Did you find any solution?

I already have an Asus ac88u. Recently got the XR500 for free.

I'd like to sell 1 and keep another. Assuming both are just as new, which would you keep?

Just wanted to join in the conversation regarding the R7800 and the AC3100 8 port router as I am in possession of both routers and testing them out to see which one has the best range to suit my needs as I live in 4000 sq foot 5 bedroom house and have been having trouble getting strong signal from the den in the middle of the house to reach my room upstairs on the far right of the house. To test the signal strength I have an old RT-N66U running as a repeater on 1.28 Tomato by Shibby and using the Site Survey feature to test signal quality. Also using my laptop's 9260 adapter and Inssider to test signal strength in the same room. This is what I found. Basically according to Inssider the R7800 (running XR500 firmware BTW) has stronger signal strength by about 12 points however Tomato is saying the signal 'Quality', which is noise - rrsi, is 10 points better!

So who do you believe??

Thanks

If the R7800 has 12 dBm better signal and 10 dBm signal quality, then it would seem to clearly beat the RT-AC88U. I wouldn't be concerned about the two metrics not agreeing exactly. Would be great if you could do some file transfer tests to confirm that transfer speeds are actually better with the R7800.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!