What's new

RT AX 88U 2.4 GHz band dead.... repairable ?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

asm1

Occasional Visitor
So my "up until now" awesome router is, I beleive, starting to fail.
It will only allow connections from my PC on 5GHz band. 2.4 GHz band shows up (lights) and is configurable, but I cannot connect to it. I wondered why things like my Printers and video Doorbell were all of a sudden "Offline".
It is also not showing connected devices (although they are, and working)
I've read it is a "known problem" with certain build dates - the 2.4GHz band fails. 5GHz is very flaky
I have tried everything suggested, RESETS, firmware reinstalls, recoveries, upgrades, downgrades, different firmware (merlin), stock firmware. Channels and so on.

Opening up, at least on the visible side of the board, there does not look to be anything amiss. Havent removed from lower half of case

Has anybody else had this issue and been able to repair, or is it destined for the bin ?

Andy

I had this issue. Only laying the router flat on the ground helped. But I returned it to the seller.

I had this issue. Only laying the router flat on the ground helped. But I returned it to the seller.
Sadly not an option for me. Had it 18 months.

I would try some software solutions before giving up on the hardware.

Really, truly, ensure you are performing a full reset to defaults and then manually configure the bare minimum to get 2.4ghz ruining and see if the devices can connect.

Also there are many settings that have been discussed elsewhere concerning compatibility of (mainly iot) devices, so those may help.

Lastly, try a laptop (or desktop,...) But try connecting via 2.4ghz instead of 5ghz. See previous point re iot devices (this includes printer issues too).

Since you can "see" the 2.4ghz SSID (I'm assuming), then this doesn't sound like a typical hardware failure where 2.4ghz disappears completely.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!