What's new

Asus RT-AC66U issues connecting to 5 ghz band

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

psfc_yojimbo

New Around Here
Hi all,

I've been lurking this forum since I ordered the AC66U a month ago and finally got it yesterday due to back-order. I immediately flashed the latest 3.0.0.3.164.15 firmware from Merlin (love the extra features, even though I don't use them yet) and configured my wifi/network.

My issue is that both my dad's iPad 2 and my Samsung Galaxy S2 Skyrocket phone will not obtain an IP address from the 5 ghz band, 2.4 is no problem. They both detect it, I can enter in the password and even try to set up a static IP, but in the end they don't connect. I've tried making it an open network with no security and that makes no difference. My phone has the option of only using the 5ghz band and so I also tried that, but no luck. Distance shouldn't be the issue as I'm in the same room as the router.

Has anyone had this problem or can someone suggest something to try? Should I just wait for new firmware perhaps? I appreciate any response you may have!

Hi,

I also had the same problem…I got it to work by setting the

2.4Ghz
Wireless Mode= Auto
Channel bandwidth= 40 Mhz
Control Channel= 6L

5Ghz
Wireless Mode= N Only
Channel bandwidth= 20/40/40 Mhz
Control Channel= Auto

With kind regards,

I also had the same problem…I got it to work by setting the

5Ghz

Channel bandwidth= 20/40/40 Mhz

Hey, thanks for the reply. I've set the 2.4 band per your settings, but I don't understand what you mean by setting the 5ghz channel bandwidth to "20/40/40 Mhz". I only see an option to select Auto, 20, 40, or 80. Sorry I'm not well versed in wifi setup.

EDIT: I did just set that to 80 and tested it out, but I've got the same result, phone is not getting an IP.

Thanks!

Last edited:
80 MHz is only for 802.11ac.

If you aren't, use different SSIDs for 2.4 and 5 GHz. It makes it easier to troubleshoot.

Just got my AC66U as well and am also having problems connecting to the 5GHz network.

My AC66U came stock with 3.0.0.4.140. All of my devices work fine on the 2.4Ghz band, but none of our laptops w/ dual band cards, iPads or Android phones will connect to the 5GHz network. They all see it, but won't connect. I have different SSIDs for the 2.4GHz and 5GHz radios.

I've boosted the Tx power to 250mW for the 5GHz radio. If I try to set it higher than that, I get a popup window saying it should be b/w 1 and 250 (even though there's a note on the page that says the US can have it set up to 500mW).

I've tried setting it to 20MHz, 40MHz, 80MHz and auto, but the problem persists.

Edit:
Actually, our iMac in the same room as the router can connect to the 5GHz network fine. If we bring the laptops, iPads, and phones into the room with the router, they connect as well.

Did not have this problem with the N66U.

Last edited:
The 500 mW limit is for 2.4 GHz only. 5 GHz is limited to 250 mW.

Well, I've boxed up the AC66U and have gone back to the N66U. Just couldn't get the 5GHz radio to work with my devices. Flashed the firmware to the latest available from RMerlin then tried changing Tx power, channels, etc. and couldn't get a usable signal.

Went back to the N66U w/ the latest RMerlin firmware as well and don't have any problems with its 5GHz.

Anyone have any idea why I'm seeing such a big difference in 5GHz usability and performance b/w the N66U and the AC66U?

Anyone have any idea why I'm seeing such a big difference in 5GHz usability and performance b/w the N66U and the AC66U?

My guess is the driver used by the AC66U isn't as optimized/mature yet. The AC66U uses a version 6.x driver from Broadcom, while the N66U uses the more mature 5.x driver.

In my case I don't see such a radical difference, but I did note that the N66U sitting in the next room had an equal or slightly higher signal strength than the AC66U sitting in the same room as the laptop. Nothing major tho, talking like -32 dB versus -35 dB. Still odd as I would have expected the opposite.

Beside this, I have no issue so far using the 5 GHz band with either my Xoom tablet or my laptop (with an Intel Centrino 6230 wifi).

After reading the SNB review, I'm going to return the AC66U and stick with the N66U.

I thought I'd get greater 5GHz range with the AC66U, but looks like that's not the case.

After reading the SNB review, I'm going to return the AC66U and stick with the N66U.

I thought I'd get greater 5GHz range with the AC66U, but looks like that's not the case.

No reason why the AC66U should give greater range - it's basically the same router, except it supports higher speeds. 5 GHz will always have shorter range, it's just the laws of physics where higher frequencies don't travel as far as lower frequencies. Your average sub-woofer is a damn good example of that. :)

Ah, I though that "beam-forming" technology would increase the 5GHz signal's range, but I'm learning now that that's a feature not present in draft-AC.

Ah, I though that "beam-forming" technology would increase the 5GHz signal's range, but I'm learning now that that's a feature not present in draft-AC.

Right, and both models have Asus's own AiRadar.

My guess is the driver used by the AC66U isn't as optimized/mature yet. The AC66U uses a version 6.x driver from Broadcom, while the N66U uses the more mature 5.x driver.

In my case I don't see such a radical difference, but I did note that the N66U sitting in the next room had an equal or slightly higher signal strength than the AC66U sitting in the same room as the laptop. Nothing major tho, talking like -32 dB versus -35 dB. Still odd as I would have expected the opposite.

Beside this, I have no issue so far using the 5 GHz band with either my Xoom tablet or my laptop (with an Intel Centrino 6230 wifi).

I have an issue with the 5 GHz-band , disconnects and Windows 7 still
having the wireless status as active on internet. Can not telnet or ping
the routers ip-adress Signal strength -20 dBm the laptop 2 meters away
from the Asus. Now on fw Rmerlins 220.17 . Anyone else with thos problem ?

Mikeg, Take a look at some of the recent RT-N66U threads regarding similar wireless disconnection issues. There may be solutions that work for both models of these routers. Many of the problems were solved after users updated the drivers for their laptop's internal wireless radio.

Last edited:
5 GHz wifi is rock-stable for me with my laptop and my RT-AC66U - I actually do most of my development work from the laptop over the 5G wifi.

Look at the usual suspects: wifi driver updates, antenna placements, using a low-numbered manual channel, etc...

Mikeg, Take a look at some of the recent RT-N66U threads regarding similar wireless disconnection issues. There may be solutions that work for both models of these routers. Many of the problems were solved after users updated the drivers for their laptop's internal wireless radio.

I have already looked at the RT-N66U threads and have not found any solution
to my problem. I have already checked that my laptops drivers are up to date.
I get the same problem with pc:s that have Asus USB-N53 ....

5 GHz wifi is rock-stable for me with my laptop and my RT-AC66U - I actually do most of my development work from the laptop over the 5G wifi.

Look at the usual suspects: wifi driver updates, antenna placements, using a low-numbered manual channel, etc...

Nice to know that it is working for you but I can not call my 5 GHz rock stable.
I have to use my back-up dual-band router , a TP-Link WDR4300 which I have
no problem at all with - rock-stable on the 5 GHz.

I have already looked over driver updates , antenna placements - the router is
2 meters away form the laptop in the same room , already have a low-numbered manual channel and so on. The same problem is occuring on
pc:s with Asus USB-N53.
I have Hardware Version 1 on the router - what hw. verion do you have RMerlin ?

I have connection issue with 2.4 ghz for ac66u since FW .188.

It frequently disconnects, I solved it by manually select 40mhz and channel 3 for 2.4 ghz.

I have HW A1.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!