What's new

RT-AX58U/AX3000 vs. RT-AX88U for medium-sized house?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Wifi Alliance certification is different from standard ratification by the IEEE.

Basically, the IEEE defines the technical standards, and the Wifi Alliance handles the marketing. And as usual, marketing gets itself ahead of engineering...

Thanks Merlin, that's where I was coming from.

I'm curious about something as I'm about to flash your firmware for the very first time on the AX3000 -- mainly to compare performance, stability, and bug fixes from stock (that's more important to me than most cool new features).

ASUS seems to be cranking out a good number of updates for this one, which seems fairly normal for a newer router. I totally appreciate your focus isn't on "shiny new" features, and it takes time for incorporating new code, testing, debugging, actually having a life ;), etc. That said, just curious going forward, what's the general/relative time frame and method for incorporating the official releases to get their new fixes? No pressure intended whatsoever, just curiosity coming aboard from other brands.

For example, I updated to stock 8601 just a couple of weeks ago right after setting it up because it added "Improved connection stability". Now ASUS just released 9354, but I didn't upgrade to it yet as I wanted to see how well Merlin worked first.

Do you leapfrog to the latest stock ver. available, or do you take each one in turn because among other things, it's incremental and provides a version to revert to should a new code release cause issues?

Anyway, really appreciate your time and efforts, thanks!

That said, just curious going forward, what's the general/relative time frame and method for incorporating the official releases to get their new fixes?

Impossible to predict. Sometimes Asus releases the source code 24 hours after releasing the firmware, sometimes it's 6 months later. I can't do anything without that source code being made available.

And sometimes, they only release the source code for some models, and that code is no longer compatible with the code of other models that haven't been updated, forcing me to skip these models.

Basically, I'm tied to Asus's own release, and these release schedules are totally erratic, and outside of my control.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!