What's new

RT-AX58U crashes on 386.1 Beta 4

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

JWoo

Have been running 386.1 Beta 4 on my RT-AX58U now for 3+ days. I am now experiencing the crashes that I did on earlier Beta releases. Nothing special going on in the router during these events (just streaming video) and no one logged into the router doing anything at the time of the crashes.

Noticed quite a few of these messages before the crash:

Jan 12 11:29:21 kernel: cfg80211: Calling CRDA to update world regulatory domain

Crash log attached as a file.

Attachments

• RT-AX58U-crashlog-386Beta4-01122021.txt
    58.2 KB · Views: 208
Have been running 386.1 Beta 4 on my RT-AX58U now for 3+ days. I am now experiencing the crashes that I did on earlier Beta releases. Nothing special going on in the router during these events (just streaming video) and no one logged into the router doing anything at the time of the crashes.

Noticed quite a few of these messages before the crash:

Jan 12 11:29:21 kernel: cfg80211: Calling CRDA to update world regulatory domain

Crash log attached as a file.

What scripts do you use? Could you make a signature for your SNB account?

No scripts. Using IPv6, DNS over TLS, two main wireless networks, two guest networks, mix of 2.4Ghz (N,AC) and 5Ghz (AC, AX) clients and a couple ethernet connected devices.

No scripts. Using IPv6, DNS over TLS, two main wireless networks, two guest networks, mix of 2.4Ghz (N,AC) and 5Ghz (AC, AX) clients and a couple ethernet connected devices.

Do you have a USB or other drive installed?

No. No USB or external drive connected.

Things I’ve done after I started the Firmware Upgrade Process starting with Beta3:

Logs were dirty even after several reboots, so I didn’t think it was migration pains.

It was worse than your logs but I have not had any spontaneous shutdowns.

I Forced Reinstall of all scripts including AMTM, using the uu command.

I’ve done a dirty Power OFF by just unplugging the router. Wait 1 minute and plug in.

I’ve checked the dcl log in AMTM for self-repairs under Journaling, reset/cleared old logs.

Via GUI, I have LED’s set to off.

Via GUI, I do nightly reboots, every night of the week at 4am.

I use IPv4.

I have not set up AiMesh yet, I’m waiting for Final Release.

Someone mentioned that they ran the Disk “Health Scanner” in the GUI twice in a row followed by a reboot. I did that for good measure.

I have Guest Network 1 on 2.4G, active.

Guest Network 2 is on for 2.4G and 5G, active.

All Guest Networks use their own SSID and Individual Passwords. No disconnects.

After upgrading to Beta4:

Did another Force Reinstall of Scripts due to dirty logs.

I never pulled the USB drive for any action.

I’ve never done a WPS or Factory Reset.

I did have a loose connection on the WAN port (blue), just wiggled connection to make sure it was seated well. I’ve rebooted the Modem a couple of times: including today, morning -web pages slow loading? Could be ISP.

Temps have stayed the same.

Speedtest is accurate from what I’m seeing.

So far, all is working well. Logs are staying clean.

Is there anything on your network that phones home and needs to sync time properly? It could be blocked by some setting.

Last edited:
All the Beta releases have had similar issues (even after clean install) where after a couple days the router will have spontaneous restarts just running normal traffic. I rolled back to 384.17 and it is stable as a rock. IMHO there is a bug somewhere in the 386 base or WL drivers.

All the Beta releases have had similar issues (even after clean install) where after a couple days the router will have spontaneous restarts just running normal traffic. I rolled back to 384.17 and it is stable as a rock. IMHO there is a bug somewhere in the 386 base or WL drivers.

Perhaps my Nightly Reboots are preventing crashes?

Probably yes. I have run the 384.17 build for several months at a time without any restarts. I have not been able to run more than 3 days without spontaneous restart on any of the 386 code based builds. Of course, the 386 code base is the future.

No nightly reboots, no crashes, or spontaneous restarts on RT-AX58U on 386.1 Beta 4.

Probably yes. I have run the 384.17 build for several months at a time without any restarts. I have not been able to run more than 3 days without spontaneous restart on any of the 386 code based builds. Of course, the 386 code base is the future.

From 1st post, what Streaming hardware is in play and what Service?
I use a ROKU and run Netflix and Prime.

I've seen a number of commits that all have kernel slab and kmemleak debugging on. Such a leak can show up in /proc/meminfo in KernelStack growing or Slab and would surely, seemingly randomly, crash your router. Not sure, just a 'maybe this is the issue.'

Maybe setup a cron job to log those every 10 minutes or so to see if your device has a leak. E.g.:

logger -p 4 -t "memcheck" "$(grep '^Slab' /proc/meminfo)"
logger -p 4 -t "memcheck" "$(grep '^KernelStack' /proc/meminfo)"

Not sure why Asus turned on Slab and Kmemleak debugging unless they have a lead in one of the devices.

386.1 beta 4 has been rock solid on my RT-AX3000 (same as ax58u from what I've seen, it's the firmware the 3000 uses), no reboots or crashes, just a basic setup though, no guest networks or scripts.

I have RT-AC68R, it sometimes goes into freezing stage has to hard reboot, do you think this firmware will fix that problem?

I haven't tracked the RT-AC68 variants since I got the RT-AX58U. I can say that for me the 386 alpha and beta versions are very feature rich, but I believe there is still an issue with stability.

386.1 beta 4 has been rock solid on my RT-AX3000 (same as ax58u from what I've seen, it's the firmware the 3000 uses), no reboots or crashes, just a basic setup though, no guest networks or scripts.

Exact same, only started using from Beta3 and now 4, but no noticeable issues. I also have no scripts or guest networks, similiar basic setup, but i do have an AP attached to the AX3K via network cable.

I loaded up Beta 4 again, and just to be sure there wasn't any issue I even reformatted JFFS. The RT-AX58U ran on Beta 4 for a couple days and crashed on Day 2. What happens?

- WIFI throughput slows down to a crawl typically during video streaming
- Router spontaneously restarts
- The router may or may not post a crash log

It is a mystery why other RT-AX58U owners have not seen this on Beta 4 as I cannot run for even 3 days without getting spontaneous restarts.