What's new

Rt-Ax58U Firmware version out of the box

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

But still concerned that someone of my neighbors could connect to the router and install some modified firmware, that's it
There has been a lot of discussion here about security...

No, certified Asus reseller. But still concerned that someone of my neighbors could connect to the router and install some modified firmware, that's it

I doubt anyone would bother to install old firmware. Once you have current firmware installed, Hard Reset, and ready for configuration from scratch, feel free to consult my install notes to configure the basics to secure your router.

OE

But still concerned that someone of my neighbors could connect to the router and install some modified firmware

You connect to Internet, no? Why someone in your neighborhood? Someone from Australia can eventually do that at some point. You never know. ;)

You connect to Internet, no? Why someone in your neighborhood? Someone from Australia can eventually do that at some point. You never know. ;)

Oh thanks... just when we had things calmed down! :)

OE

Because while you setup your wifi router, the wifi has no password, so anyone around can connect without any password

Because while you setup your wifi router, the wifi has no password, so anyone around can connect without any password

Then set up the router with your internet connection unplugged or disabled.

Yes. Everyone is constantly looking for new networks so that when you turn on the router, they can connect to it before you do and take control of it. ;)

You set it up fast then before your neighborhood can react. The guy from Australia will patiently wait for you to connect to Internet and go to sleep. ;)

Everyone is constantly looking for new networks

I do that regularly. Now I have a zombie washing machine and a humidifier. No idea where they are physically located, but I turn them on/off at 3AM every night. 🤪

You set it up fast then before your neighborhood can react. The guy from Australia will patiently wait for you to connect to Internet and go to sleep. ;)
Ahah, now I should be careful with guys from Australia :)

And Canada. We have Internet here too. The worst hacker on SNB Forums is actually Canadian. Offers modified firmware all the time.

Fair enough... be quick! That's why ASUSWRT puts Quick Internet Setup (QIS) first... so you secure the open WiFi first... takes less than a minute.

OE

Does anyone know if it is fine, or Asus usually install the latest available version while manufacturing the new router.
When you first configure your router, the Quick Internet Setup will immediately check for any available update, and install it. So there is no real point in having it updated in factory.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!