What's new

RT-AX58U Issues

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Skeletor5616

New Around Here
I have a SB6190 modem and a EA8500 Linksys. We have had issues where it will randomly disconnect devices. It will also intermittently show 2.4 or 5 isnt there.
I finally got a ASUS RT-AX58U. When I got the router set up, I was having connectivity issues again. So I tried to find out which settings I should and should not apply because I dont understand what most of the settings do. I also tried to optimize for an Xbox/gaming/speed in general. Then the whole wifi experience got worse from there. Device connectivity, speeds, etc.
My wife wants to take it back but I really want a newer faster router. I think if I can find videos or someone to tell me what settings to apply/turn off I can get it to work well. Im just at a loss why I am having so many issues with both routers.

I have a SB6190 modem and a EA8500 Linksys. We have had issues where it will randomly disconnect devices. It will also intermittently show 2.4 or 5 isnt there.
I finally got a ASUS RT-AX58U. When I got the router set up, I was having connectivity issues again. So I tried to find out which settings I should and should not apply because I dont understand what most of the settings do. I also tried to optimize for an Xbox/gaming/speed in general. Then the whole wifi experience got worse from there. Device connectivity, speeds, etc.
My wife wants to take it back but I really want a newer faster router. I think if I can find videos or someone to tell me what settings to apply/turn off I can get it to work well. Im just at a loss why I am having so many issues with both routers.

My install notes may help with a basic configuration (after you get familiar with where things are in the webUI). Ignore the AiMesh bits. Improvise for the missing AX bits or disable AX if you have no AX clients. Don't ignore the firmware reset before configuration bit.

OE

Welcome to the forums @Skeletor5616.

The EA8500 Linksys is effectively equivalent to the RT-AX58U (hardware), even if the latter will probably offer better Wi-Fi and much better and more secure firmware.

What are your ISP paid-for speeds?

If routing performance is what you're after, the RT-AC86U is the lowest end model to consider.

If both peak routing and Wi-Fi performance is your goal, then the RT-AX86U or the RT-AX88U should be on your short-list.

Since you already have the RT-AX58U, these are the things I would do to get to a stable and reliable state for your router/network.

Flash the RMerlin firmware for your router first. If you're feeling lucky, consider testing the 386.2 Alpha 1 in the Pre-beta test builds (occasionally available, hosted on Onedrive) link (which is running stable for myself and many others and includes many fixes from the 'official' 386.1_2 release final, today).

Download | Asuswrt-Merlin (asuswrt-merlin.net)

After flashing the firmware above, do a full reset to factory defaults using the WPS Button method for your model as indicated in the link below.

[Wireless] ASUS router Hard Factory Reset | Official Support | ASUS Global

When the router comes up with the setup wizard, you know that the reset has been successful. :)

Now, follow the suggestions below to get the router and network as fast and as stable as possible.

Best Practice Update/Setup Router/AiMesh Node(s) 2021

Which router to do recommend that isn’t horribly expensive and then which router do you recommend that’s also expensive?
I don’t care about what brand. I just need a router that stops disconnecting devices and is fast for gaming. I heard that router/modem combos are bad anymore.

Welcome to the forums @Skeletor5616.

The EA8500 Linksys is effectively equivalent to the RT-AX58U (hardware), even if the latter will probably offer better Wi-Fi and much better and more secure firmware.

What are your ISP paid-for speeds?
So we pay for 250 down 15 up.

If routing performance is what you're after, the RT-AC86U is the lowest end model to consider.

If both peak routing and Wi-Fi performance is your goal, then the RT-AX86U or the RT-AX88U should be on your short-list.

Since you already have the RT-AX58U, these are the things I would do to get to a stable and reliable state for your router/network.

Flash the RMerlin firmware for your router first. If you're feeling lucky, consider testing the 386.2 Alpha 1 in the Pre-beta test builds (occasionally available, hosted on Onedrive) link (which is running stable for myself and many others and includes many fixes from the 'official' 386.1_2 release final, today).

Download | Asuswrt-Merlin (asuswrt-merlin.net)

After flashing the firmware above, do a full reset to factory defaults using the WPS Button method for your model as indicated in the link below.

[Wireless] ASUS router Hard Factory Reset | Official Support | ASUS Global

When the router comes up with the setup wizard, you know that the reset has been successful. :)

Now, follow the suggestions below to get the router and network as fast and as stable as possible.

Best Practice Update/Setup Router/AiMesh Node(s) 2021

I also have ten days to get credit from returning the router. The 68 and 88s are all out of stock from Best Buy. Is there a different router I should consider?

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!