What's new

RT-AX58U VPN Speeds?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Wonder if Asus will update with Wireguard support.

hope so. with just pc app i get 115Mbs vpn speed. the ax58u seems limited at 50. I got a slight range increase from the 66u_b1 but it doesn't feel like that big of an upgrade. not any more stable with lots of devices then the 66u_b1 was. I only have a 125Mbs connection and one ax device, two with mu-mimo. I probably should of just got the ac86u. I imagine the slightly better clock speed and hardware accel on the 86u would get me to 70Mbs? Wonder which router is more stable with 40 devices lol. the 58u isn't any more stable then the 66u b1 was.

If I myself was to recommend a router to someone I'd probably recommend the 66u b1 or 68u. maybe two for ai mesh if necessary. These other routers are just not worth it imo.

Last edited:
I probably should of just got the ac86u. I imagine the slightly better clock speed and hardware accel on the 86u would get me to 70Mbs?

With the AC86 which supports AES-NI your download speeds can be over 200 Mbps or more when using a VPN client. Processor speed helps but what makes the difference is a processor that supports AES-NI.

With the AC86 which supports AES-NI your download speeds can be over 200 Mbps or more when using a VPN client. Processor speed helps but what makes the difference is a processor that supports AES-NI.

wow that is quite the difference compared to 50Mbps on my ax58u!! Apparently the ax88u isn't much better, i saw a thread where rmerlin explains why. https://www.snbforums.com/threads/checking-for-aes-ni-use-in-openvpn-on-rt-ax88u.62894/ But maybe I misunderstood what they were talking about. I originally thought I'd get only 70 with the ac86u cause thats what to be expected from the ax88u off a 100 Mbps connection which has aes-ni from what I've seen on youtube. So just having aes-ni in the chip doesn't always mean better vpn performance it seems? I do indeed see youtube vids of speeds up to 200 for the ac86u so apparently it is the ONLY option for fast openvpn speeds.

Last edited:
@cooloutac the router isn't the only factor in the VPN speeds and the RT-AX88U and the RT-AC86U are identical in that regard.

The other factors are the ISP you're connecting from and the ISP you're connecting to. The 'up' speed of the remote connection is the maximum 'down' speed of the VPN on the local side. Same as the 'down' speed of the remote ISP connection is the maximum 'up' speed possible.

Factor in server quality and how hard they're getting hit differences, the routers OpenVPN performance is just one part of the equation.

In other words, if both the local and remote ISP have speeds of about 250Mbps up/down (symmetrical) or greater, then the routers (both the RT-AX88U and the RT-AC86U) are the limiting factors at that point for current OpenVPN connections.

I'm not sure it is the only option and with ASUS I believe there is one other model that has a chip that supports AES-NI but with ASUS's confusing model numbers I don't remember which model it is.

Even with AES-NI VPN download speeds can be highly variable as you can see from the attached screen shots.
Screenshot_2020-10-02 spdMerlin - Internet Speedtest Stats.png
Screenshot_2020-10-02 spdMerlin - Internet Speedtest Stats(1).png

@cooloutac the router isn't the only factor in the VPN speeds and the RT-AX88U and the RT-AC86U are identical in that regard.

The other factors are the ISP you're connecting from and the ISP you're connecting to. The 'up' speed of the remote connection is the maximum 'down' speed of the VPN on the local side. Same as the 'down' speed of the remote ISP connection is the maximum 'up' speed possible.

Factor in server quality and how hard they're getting hit differences, the routers OpenVPN performance is just one part of the equation.

In other words, if both the local and remote ISP have speeds of about 250Mbps up/down (symmetrical) or greater, then the routers (both the RT-AX88U and the RT-AC86U) are the limiting factors at that point for current OpenVPN connections.

right. i have a fios 125Mbs symmetrical connection. Its supposed to be 100/100 but they boosted me for some reason i almost always get 125 upload. with the vpn app on the pc I get 100-115. through the ax58u router with openvpn I get 40-50. its a huge difference imo. Part of that is also wireguard vs openvpn. But if the 68u avg's 20-30 for people. Then 50 on the 58u is probably normal. I'm still thinking I'd only get 80 the most on the 86u but I'm talking out my butt.

regarding the ax88u vs the ac86u i have neither. I'm just going based off forum posts and youtube videos of people who say they own them. I see plenty of videos of people claiming to own the 86u posting 200Mbs vpn connections. I have to take their word for it. But I've only seen 70Mbs with the ax88u on youtube. It really seems most people are not running vpns on their routers and the ax88u might be too new to judge.

To be honest its not really worth it for me to spend $130 more for who knows what increase in speeds. It would be better to get the 86u in my case and give up wifi 6 which has little benefit to me. Like I said going from a 66u_b1 to ax58u is not a huge upgrade. In fact I switched the vpn to TCP on my router for more stability. On pc and mobiles I'm using the app.

Last edited:
I'm not sure it is the only option and with ASUS I believe there is one other model that has a chip that supports AES-NI but with ASUS's confusing model numbers I don't remember which model it is.

Even with AES-NI VPN download speeds can be highly variable as you can see from the attached screen shots.View attachment 26629View attachment 26630

is that ax88u or ac86u? I'm assuming 86u. and boy i'm happy i live where there is fios. I get more upload speed then I do download and I guess that is very rare around the world. Although They were attacked in my area on 9/11 and the route was super throttled. timing out and lagging. Other ISP's had no issue, but People with openvpn on fios also had no issues just wanna state another reason to use it.

Last edited:
decided to return the ax58u and go back to the ac66u_b1. vpn speeds and wireless range are not a big upgrade and I feel its less stable. I don't have enough ax devices or fast enough ISP speed to justify it as a replacement. I thought it would at least handle more devices better, but you still run into problems if you start hiding networks and doing mac address filtering on more then 20 devices. The wirless channels seemed unstable, The vpn connection keeps dropping out for some reason doesn't happen on my ac66u_b1. The only benefits I got out of this router were the little 6 next to wifi icon on a couple of my mobile devices i own that was pretty much meaningless. And a better connection for live viewing of my shed camera outside, but definitely not worth almost 200 bucks just for that... $177 plus tax. I've had the ac66u_b1 for two years and its been great i'll stick with it till it stops being supported or dies.

Last edited:
I mispoke. the 2.4ghz is slightly better on the ax58u but 5g range absolutely blows the ac66u_b1 out of the water!!! like a signal of 1 bar compared to 5 lol. But, the speeds on the the ac66u_b1 5G are actually much faster? My smart tv use to always get only 40-50 with the ax58u. with the 66u it gets 50-65!! not understanding that all. Myabe its the way I have the antennaes lol. the ac66u also has the same openvpn issues on my network. although again when testing speeds. its less then 10Mbs difference to the ax58u. we talking 40 compared to 47.

Last edited:
canceled my vpn subscription and went back to stock firmware. lol Its just not meant to be. was a cool tech experiment, just not practical.

Where do you access these speed test results? I'm using an Asus XT8 and wanted to run speeds test directly from the router.

Where do you access these speed test results? I'm using an Asus XT8 and wanted to run speeds test directly from the router.

Interested myself. I don't know how to run it from the router. I just run tests from ethernet.

Even with AES-NI VPN download speeds can be highly variable as you can see from the attached screen shots.View attachment 26629View attachment 26630

is this merlin firmware how do you run these tests? I just upped my speed to 300MBs from 100. But i'm only getting 130-170 openvpn speeds with stock and merlin on the ac86u router up from 80-90. SO tripled my wan speed but only almost doubled my vpn speed. The pc app gets 200MBs which almost seems capped there. but wireguard gives me 270-290.

Using the AMTM now built into Merlin you install the spdMerlin script which as an addon runs speed tests using the router's CPU.

hope so. with just pc app i get 115Mbs vpn speed. the ax58u seems limited at 50. I got a slight range increase from the 66u_b1 but it doesn't feel like that big of an upgrade. not any more stable with lots of devices then the 66u_b1 was. I only have a 125Mbs connection and one ax device, two with mu-mimo. I probably should of just got the ac86u. I imagine the slightly better clock speed and hardware accel on the 86u would get me to 70Mbs? Wonder which router is more stable with 40 devices lol. the 58u isn't any more stable then the 66u b1 was.

If I myself was to recommend a router to someone I'd probably recommend the 66u b1 or 68u. maybe two for ai mesh if necessary. These other routers are just not worth it imo.
Hi,

did you find a solution to the speed problem? I have also only 50-55Mbps speeds during VPN on the AX58U. RMerlin says you should know 80-90 Mbps.

I have the same problem, where, with a 125 Mbps connection, I get at most ~45 Mbps while using the OpenVPN from within the Merlin firmware, on the AX58U. So I have two questions, for the knowledgeable folks here:

Does the througput with OpenVPN on the AX58U scale with the provisioned speed by the ISP ? In other words, IF I upgraded my ISP-provisioned throughput to 250 Mbps, would the AX58U give me 90 Mbps in that case ? It appears that way from this thread - and in the future if there is Wireguard available on Merlin Firmware, can the AX58U throughput improve in that case ?

If in the future, I get a different AX router from Asus with Merlin firmware as my main router (and make the AX58U a AIMesh node), which model exactly should I get for minimal drop of OpenVPN/Wireguard VPN ?

The RT-AX58U is giving you all it can with the limited resources it has (namely, no AES support).

An RT-AC86U, RT-AX88U, RT-AX68U, and RT-AX86U will all give more than double VPN speeds, given that the endpoint you're connecting to is capable of it.

The routers listed above all have multicore 1.8GHz CPUs and AES support for accelerating VPN connections.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!