What's new

RT-AX58U vs RT-AX68U vs RT-AX92U for small apartment?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

jaybird14

Occasional Visitor
I've just recently moved and I'm in the market for a new router to use in lieu of my ISP-provided router/modem. I'm working with a 325-ish square foot apartment (one big main room, one small bedroom, and a bathroom) and I'm currently getting 150/15 internet but my apartment's hookup is ultimately able to support gigabit symmetrical on a different ISP.

I'm currently trialing the RT-AX58U and the only issue I've gotten so far seems to be that the range on the 5GHz band is a bit less strong than I've expected, which is probably why devices are getting prioritized to 2.4GHz as I mentioned in my previous post.

With that in mind, I have three options here: keeping the RT-AX58U, going for the RT-AX68U ($269 here in Canada), or going for the RT-AX92U (which is currently on sale in Canada for around $249). In terms of range, future-proofing, and overall stability, which of the 3 would be the better pick?. I'm still not 100% sure how much I'm going to get out of Merlin but having the option is a nice-to-have.

325 SqFt?

I'm currently trialing the RT-AX58U and the only issue I've gotten so far seems to be that the range on the 5GHz band is a bit less strong than I've expected

In a 300 plus sq foot apt. You better check your AX58U for a issue it has a very good 5 GHz signal i can even connect and use mine outside in the car no issues on 5GHz.

In your small apt the AX92U tri-band router might be overkill. First recommendation would be the AX68U. Second the AX86U. Do not recommend the AX58U as it is an entry level router with 2x2 5 GHz and 2x2 2.4 GHz radios. AX68U has 3x3 radios for both bands and a better router. Of course that is my opinion...

Sounds like you're getting some interference from something. The 5Ghz band should cover 350sq/ft easily.

My AX92U 5Ghz-1 band covers my entire house (1700sq/ft) and the front and back yard.

While I agree the AX92U is probably overkill for your situation, the tri-band on it may come in handy when you do upgrade to a gigabit connection. I have mine set up that the 5Ghz-2 band is AX mode (Wifi6) only, so my cellphone and laptop are the only devices that can connect to it and gives great speeds with my 1Gb fiber connection. Since I currently work from home, this is beneficial for me due to other devices (kids, wife, streaming devices, etc.).

With 150/15 and 350sqf the ISP provided modem/router should be fine. Basic configuration options, but you'll get connected full speed.

The AX92u looks good in an apartment due to its small size. You can retract the antennae and probably still get a full signal.

It has a strong 4x4 AX channel that connects at around 2.5gbps. The DFS channels are always clear so on AX you will easily get the full 1gbps internet speed on your AX devices. It supports link aggregation if you want 2gbps internet.

The AX92u's weakness is its 2.4ghz is only 2x2 as is its AC 5ghz channel. However; in an apartment block, there's no chance you'd ever be able to take advantage of 3x3 as both of these bands will be swamped with other AP's.

A plus point for the AX92u is the inclusion of all the gaming features including WTFast. Not all Asus "gaming" routers actually have this.

Merlin isn't available on the AX92u; probably due to lack of popularity. Asus messed up the marketing and early firmware which hurt the reputation of this router. Not many people are even aware it provides Wi-Fi 6 client access. I predict Asus will probably be forced to lower the price to shift the stock.

If you are only interested in 5Ghz AX, then this router would be a good choice. Alternatively, you could pay a little more and get the AX68u. That would give you a 2.4Ghz AX channel vs the AX92u 2.4 AC channel. Other than radios, I believe the rest of the hardware is the same.

Last edited:
We have 2 AX58Us in our 2 story 1800 sq ft house and have no issues at all on the 5Ghz band.

sam

I've just recently moved and I'm in the market for a new router to use in lieu of my ISP-provided router/modem. I'm working with a 325-ish square foot apartment (one big main room, one small bedroom, and a bathroom) and I'm currently getting 150/15 internet but my apartment's hookup is ultimately able to support gigabit symmetrical on a different ISP.

I'm currently trialing the RT-AX58U and the only issue I've gotten so far seems to be that the range on the 5GHz band is a bit less strong than I've expected, which is probably why devices are getting prioritized to 2.4GHz as I mentioned in my previous post.

With that in mind, I have three options here: keeping the RT-AX58U, going for the RT-AX68U ($269 here in Canada), or going for the RT-AX92U (which is currently on sale in Canada for around $249). In terms of range, future-proofing, and overall stability, which of the 3 would be the better pick?. I'm still not 100% sure how much I'm going to get out of Merlin but having the option is a nice-to-have.
Ax68u

The AX58U is a 1.5Ghz tri-core while AX68U is a 1.8Ghz dual-core.

Which CPU is better?

The 1.8GHz CPU is the better option.

However, that does not mean that the router is.

However, that does not mean that the router is.

No? You mean generally or in this specific case? From what I have gathered:

AX58U: 2X2 mimo, 1.5Ghz tri core, 2019 model, Wifi6 draft (not certified) likely the «old» WPA3 (dragonblood exploits). Up to 2400mbps on ax 5ghz. Cheaper.

AX68U: 3X3 mimo, 1.8Ghz dual core, 2021 model, WiFi6 certified (supposedly) and likely the «new» WPA3 . Up to 1802mbps on ax 5ghz. More expensive.

Now this I dont understand - The ax58u is older, has slower cpu, fewer mimo but still has faster throughput? Which one would you say is better?

Last edited:
@torstein The reason those speed numbers don't make sense is because you're missing a piece of the equation - channel bandwidth. The AX58U has 160mhz vs the 80mhz on the AX68U.

The oversimplified math for AX would be roughly 150mbps per 20mhz, times the number of antennas.

I personally would choose the AX68U if I had to choose between those. Completely anecdotal and just perception, but I think performance is better with faster clock speed than with one additional core. Most processes are single threaded and run on a single core. So in theory the load could spread more between more cores on the AX58U, but I bet the faster dual core processor would give better actual user experience.

2x2 160mhz or 3x3 80mhz? But which is better?? Just remember that probably almost all of your client devices will be 80mhz/2x2, and not all will be MU-MIMO capable, so they will be your limiting factor. Also, 160mhz is a joke in many countries/locations as DFS radar makes it impossible to use that wide of a channel. YMMV.

Thank you, that cleared a lot of things up. It makes sense that spreading the load out sounds good in theory but for actual wireless performance and download/uploading beefier processors will get better results than more of slower ones. It’s the same with iPhones and Android phones, multicore performance is impressive enough, but it’s the single core that actually counts and will be felt in real life usage with apps etc. I should have realized it’s the same for routers. I do wonder if the extra 300mHz on each core makes a noticable difference or not. Do you know?

My mac is 3x3 mu-mimo capable so i should probably switch. The question then is just, do i pay 169 for AX68U or do I go for the AX86U at 300$ (norwegian prices). I wonder if there’s any discernible difference in usage with just 10 devices and a small apartment.

I know the community here loves the AX86U and Merlin himself recommends it, but it is very pricey.

There are no verified posts that the RT-AX86U and the RT-AX68U are 'equally' great.

Imo, the $130 is more than likely justified.

Right, so I learn things everyday it seems :) There’s SU-MIMO and MU-MIMO. My macbook pro is SU-MIMO then (or just MIMO without the prefix?) , but has 3x3 SU mimo, so with a router that is MU-MIMO 3x3 my mac can use all three streams and get faster download speeds? Is that correct? (im on 1gbps connection)
C077BC5E-7081-46F3-BBA4-EDFC2D1A2211.png

Is that correct?

No. Your Mac will use all 3 streams, but will wait for it's turn like any other client with no MU-MIMO support. Don't get too excited about MU-MIMO. It doesn't improve much in real life and can actually slow down some of your clients. I have it disabled in my system at home. Read more here:

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!