What's new

RT-AX68U and it`s FTP <-> USB funcionality

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Swiety

New Around Here
Going to upgrade my home network with Asus RT-AX68. It will be connected with ONT modem HG8010H, with fiber 600mbit/s. Right now I am using an ONT Combo from the provider, which is Huawei HG8245Q, with provider software, which is ****. I had some fight with the provider to replace the ONT Combo with ONT, but they finally agreed to it.
Planning to use the Merlin firmware.

I would like to use the Asus as a "simple" NAS server, with connected storage (2-4Tb) through USB. I would like to upload only movies ( max. 50GB per file), through FTP protocol, from my computer, and afterward be able to watch them on TV, through a multimedia server option, which my TV should be able to read (at least it did with the Huawei). I would use it maybe 2-3 times per week in terms of uploading and watching.

Of course, NAS would be better, but in case of my needs, would the USB storage be enough?
If yes, then for which storage should I go - SSD or HDD?
Would it be possible to configure the USB in the way, that I am able to upload the file through FTP, and aftewards watch it on TV without chaning anything in router configuration? I am not planning to upload and play the files at the same time.

With only 512MB of RAM on the router, you're asking for issues (hangs, instantaneous reboots, other weird gremlins, etc.) by transferring that much data on an attached USB drive.

SSD is the way to do it though (less power is required for much shorter periods than mechanical HDDs).

Why not just simply take out the drive (be sure you safely remove it from the router's GUI) and load the movies from a computer instead?

Ye, I have read about this. I don`t know why I expected different answer.
Would it be a problem only during the upload on the USB? Would the reading (watching) cause the same problems?

I could do that, but I still prefer to power off computer during other activities. It may be dumb, but ye, that`s me. A lot of eco stuff in my head.
On the other hand, the hard drive connected all of the time to the router will be also consuimg energy. Probablly always, unless there is some kind of auto sleep/hibernation option in Merlin.
I could even upload everything on the hard drive from the computer, and afterwards connect it to the TV, but I am being lazy. I am trying to find solution which simply require less work.

yes you can - but do not use FTP but SAMBA - FTP is more like outside your web solutions. I was doing that for long time with much older routers like RT-N16U and RT-AC56U but eventually you will get to point that NAS is a way to go. You can made simple NAS using Raspberry Pi 4 - for example like here https://pimylifeup.com/raspberry-pi-openmediavault/ ore dedicated or mini PC - depends what you need.

not sure what issue will AsusWRT have but on AC56U with tomato I was using USB HDD for torrents downloads 24/7 and watching movies for 4years and never had issue with router reboot etc. just try it if something will not be OK you will add NAS.

Last edited:
Ye, exactly. Thanks!

I tried simple solution, but the more I think, the more I am into Raid 10 with 4 HDDs on RPi :p. It can be relatively cheap, small, yet provides a lot of pros.

no do not go to Raid 10 - just read about https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ZFS/ZPool and for 4 HDD go with raidz2 solution. I am using it and I have on my NAS (made from HPE MS gen8, I am using it for torrents and soon I plan to add opnsense too (all at proxmox) - it is over kill now)) full 1Gbit speed. Additional I added 1SSD as ZFS - ZPOOL Cache and Log

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!