What's new

News RT-AX68U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Since the AC68U is typically $120, I doubt the AX68U will be less than that.
Asus has indicated in the press that the new RT-AX68U will be priced less than $100 in the US.

Maybe you got a bad one. My AX58U works every bit as good as my AC3100 and the signal levels are also just as good. For 149.00 it can't be beat.
Run a speed test while looking at the third core it wakes right up. So it does indeed work.
Agree. My old RT-AC68U ran very hot and with a dual core 800Mhz CPU would run at 70% CPU load when running Speedtest. With the RT-AX58U triple core, I can run Speedtest and CPU load is approximately 7% CPU load with a brief spike to 12% load. The RT-AX58U also runs about 20 degrees C cooler than the old RT-AC68U.

That's impressive.

I'm happy with my AX58, but man ...
I like the vertical orientation of the RT-AX68U. Price is great. Main concern is what dual core CPU are they using and will it have enough grunt?

Oddly, Asus is reporting the following data rates for the RT-AX68U:

802.11a : up to 54 Mbps
802.11b : up to 11 Mbps
802.11g : up to 54 Mbps
802.11n : up to 450 Mbps
802.11ac : up to 1625 Mbps
802.11ax (2.4GHz) : up to 861 Mbps

So the 5Ghz radio appears to be AC only in the Asus marketing info. But the FCC report shows AX was tested on the 5Ghz radio too: https://fccid.io/MSQ-RTAXIA00/Test-Report/Test-Rpt-5G-4840351 So I guess we'll find out later on.

Asus has indicated in the press that the new RT-AX68U will be priced less than $100 in the US.
I can only find press speculation about a sub-$100 price, nothing official from Asus. The cheapest current Asus AX router (AX55 aka AX1800) is $130 on Amazon so it would seem strange to price a higher spec model (AX68u aka AX2700) at a lower price. I don't think we'll know until they go on sale.

Last edited:
Oddly, Asus is reporting the following data rates for the RT-AX68U:

802.11a : up to 54 Mbps
802.11b : up to 11 Mbps
802.11g : up to 54 Mbps
802.11n : up to 450 Mbps
802.11ac : up to 1625 Mbps
802.11ax (2.4GHz) : up to 861 Mbps

So the 5Ghz radio appears to be AC only in the Asus marketing info. But the FCC report shows AX was tested on the 5Ghz radio too: https://fccid.io/MSQ-RTAXIA00/Test-Report/Test-Rpt-5G-4840351 So I guess we'll find out later on.
That's missing the final line which shows: 802.11ax (5GHz) : up to 1802 Mbps
Asus AX68U specs.JPG

Last edited:
The difference in price between these and the current quad core Asus premium gaming routers is only about the cost of one month of good internet service... or one PS5 ultimate edition game... or a standard game purchase with a few add on packs. Just let me know when either one of these routers outperforms the RT-AX86U. ;)

Last edited:
The difference in price between these and the current quad core Asus premium gaming routers is only about the cost of one month of good internet service... or one PS5 ultimate edition game... or a standard game purchase with a few add on packs. Just let me know when either one of these routers outperforms the RT-AX86U. ;)
I like this way of thinking. Another way is that the cost difference between a AX58U and an AX86U only about $3 per month if spread over 2 years. Even less if spread over a longer period. That's how I'm going to sell it to my better half when she asks "why do you need a new router?"

Quick question:

how does the “gaming port” work on this router? Does it only work if you use QoS settings? I tend to use bandwidth limiter for my devices and not the gaming priorities. Will it still work for gaming without those settings?

That's missing the final line which shows: 802.11ax (5GHz) : up to 1802 MbpsView attachment 28802

Which is lower then then the ax58u 5ghz. I already assumed thats why they conveniently left it out lol. That ax55 you mentioned is quadcore which i'm sure factors into it's price.

@SoCalReviews i got my ax58u for literally half the price of an ax86u. Which is over 3 months of internet service. But most people live on a set budget and don't want to give up internet for 3 months for get something they don't really need. As it is the ax58u was not even really nescessary for me. The ax55 is quad core but much weaker wireless range and speeds. about half the ax 5g speeds.

IMO Asus has to price that ax68u for around $100.

No, their tech writers (marketing department) are out to lunch. :)

The RT-AX58U is effectively a 2x2 (2x2:4) AP. The RT-AX68U is a 3x3:3 AP.

While the RT-AX58U can connect at a faster (indicated) rate with another 4x4 client at close range, it will act like it is a 2x2:2 client at close and normal distances in a home.

The RT-AX68U on the other hand is a more balanced design, with a much faster processor and I'm sure will prove to be the better buy as soon as RMerlin support is offered. The 'hint' that it is a better wireless AP is that the 2.4GHz max connection speed is 861Mbps (i.e. 3x3:3 RF design). Fifty percent higher than the 575Mbps of the RT-AX58U with its 2x2:2 antennae/streams.

Without knowing the RT-AX68U was arriving, I sold my RT-AX58U. It was great! Just couldn't hang with the big boys though (RT-AX86U x2).

Understand Wi-Fi 4/5/6/6E (802.11 n/ac/ax) (duckware.com)

"2401 Mbps speed: The 2401 Mbps maximum PHY speed is for an 80 MHz channel to a 4×4 client. However, a much more realistic maximum PHY speed is 1200 Mbps for an 80 MHz channel to a 2×2 client (840 Mbps throughput), and for a realistic distance away from the router, a PHY speed of 864 Mbps (600 Mbps throughput). 802.11ax is called "HE" for High Efficiency."

You can go on believing the marketing misunderstandings and flat out lies. The RT-AX58U is a good router. But the price it commands is not in line with the performance it should offer, hence why I sold it and why the RT-AX68U with or without RMerlin support will still be a more powerful router. As the RT-AC86U is similarly a better 'router' than the RT-AX58U, even considering 'AC' class and 'AX' class differences, too.

Which is lower then then the ax58u 5ghz. I already assumed thats why they conveniently left it out lol. That ax55 you mentioned is quadcore which i'm sure factors into it's price.

@SoCalReviews i got my ax58u for literally half the price of an ax86u. Which is over 3 months of internet service. But most people live on a set budget and don't want to give up internet for 3 months for get something they don't really need. As it is the ax58u was not even really nescessary for me. The ax55 is quad core but much weaker wireless range and speeds. about half the ax 5g speeds.

IMO Asus has to price that ax68u for around $100.
There is nothing wrong with wanting to save $100 USD on a router. I can appreciate the concept of trying to get the most value for your money. My point about comparing the difference in cost between the AX86U and the other lower tier Asus routers is one of perspective. The one time cost of a wireless router... $250 USD... that will I use almost every day for up to five years is minuscule (about $3-5/mo. or $50/yr.)

...compared to my monthly internet service (more than $80 USD), gaming, streaming and other monthly online subscriptions (more than $20/mo. USD ), media streaming services... TV, movies, etc.. up to $50/mo., gaming software... over $100/yr. , every 5-7 year cost of gaming hardware plus accessories... i.e. PS5 $499 + $200 accessories, computer software subscriptions ( i.e. MS Office, etc..) ... more than $50/yr., smart phone service... more than $50/mo., computer hardware... laptops, tablets, smartphones (thousands of dollars)... etc..

If I wanted to get the MOST value out of my internet experience to go along with the thousands I spend every year on internet service, online gaming, streaming, computer hardware and related accessories then I will spend that $3-5/mo. USD for a premium wireless router. If you really want to save money then keep using your old AC router. If you want to make up for that extra expense for a premium Wifi 6 router then once every month skip that large vanilla latte at the coffee shop and go with the small or medium instead. :)

Last edited:
S
No, their tech writers (marketing department) are out to lunch. :)

The RT-AX58U is effectively a 2x2 (2x2:4) AP. The RT-AX68U is a 3x3:3 AP.

While the RT-AX58U can connect at a faster (indicated) rate with another 4x4 client at close range, it will act like it is a 2x2:2 client at close and normal distances in a home.

The RT-AX68U on the other hand is a more balanced design, with a much faster processor and I'm sure will prove to be the better buy as soon as RMerlin support is offered. The 'hint' that it is a better wireless AP is that the 2.4GHz max connection speed is 861Mbps (i.e. 3x3:3 RF design). Fifty percent higher than the 575Mbps of the RT-AX58U with its 2x2:2 antennae/streams.

Without knowing the RT-AX68U was arriving, I sold my RT-AX58U. It was great! Just couldn't hang with the big boys though (RT-AX86U x2).

Understand Wi-Fi 4/5/6/6E (802.11 n/ac/ax) (duckware.com)

"2401 Mbps speed: The 2401 Mbps maximum PHY speed is for an 80 MHz channel to a 4×4 client. However, a much more realistic maximum PHY speed is 1200 Mbps for an 80 MHz channel to a 2×2 client (840 Mbps throughput), and for a realistic distance away from the router, a PHY speed of 864 Mbps (600 Mbps throughput). 802.11ax is called "HE" for High Efficiency."

You can go on believing the marketing misunderstandings and flat out lies. The RT-AX58U is a good router. But the price it commands is not in line with the performance it should offer, hence why I sold it and why the RT-AX68U with or without RMerlin support will still be a more powerful router. As the RT-AC86U is similarly a better 'router' than the RT-AX58U, even considering 'AC' class and 'AX' class differences, too.
Same could be said for the ac86u on paper. so maybe you are right Asus is liars. because in real life the ax58u blows away the ac86u in my environment, especially at long range especially the 2.4ghz. and again, all the ax and mu-mimo stuff depends on if your devices support them. and even if they do according @thiggins its all meaningless and unnoticeable and might even cause compatibility problems. so again you are right, i agree, stop believing the marketing hype lol.

and again, tri core is much better then dual core for router stability especially at high throughput with all features enabled. that extra .3ghz on two cores doesn't mean much.

There is nothing wrong with wanting to save $100 USD on a router. I can appreciate the concept of trying to get the most value for your money. My point about comparing the difference in cost between the AX86U and the other lower tier Asus routers is one of perspective. The one time cost of a wireless router... $250 USD... that will I use almost every day for up to five years is minuscule (about $3-5/mo. or $50/yr.)

...compared to my monthly internet service (more than $80 USD), gaming, streaming and other monthly online subscriptions (more than $20/mo. USD ), media streaming services... TV, movies, etc.. up to $50/mo., gaming software... over $100/yr. , every 5-7 year cost of gaming hardware plus accessories... i.e. PS5 $499 + $200 accessories, computer software subscriptions ( i.e. MS Office, etc..) ... more than $50/yr., smart phone service... more than $50/mo., computer hardware... laptops, tablets, smartphones (thousands of dollars)... etc..

If I wanted to get the MOST value out of my internet experience to go along with the thousands I spend every year on internet service, online gaming, streaming, computer hardware and related accessories then I will spend that $3-5/mo. USD for a premium wireless router. If you really want to save money then keep using your old AC router. If you want to make up for that extra expense for a premium Wifi 6 router then once every month skip that large vanilla latte at the coffee shop and go with the small or medium instead. :)

but are you doing it just for a cool tech experiment or to say you have the fastest router? Depends on if it actually benefits your network. the ax58u at least improved the range to my doorbell over the ac66u-b1 from poor signal to good but thats the only benefit i got from it besides possibly better battery on galaxy s20 phone (lol) and "future proofing". Why spend another $125 on top of that? The doorbell still worked and i could of lived without the ax58u.

Like @thiggins keeps saying, mu-mimo and ax don't benefit anyone cause a) they don't even own devices that support them and b) even if they do they won't notice any improvement from them. $125 might be nothing for you, but many people live on a strict budget especially in these turbulent times. In 5 years i still won't have enough ax devices or isp speed to notice any difference with the ax86u. A more noticeable improvement would be a second ax58u to extend the wireless range with aimesh.

like i said earlier the fact you can get an ax58u for 125-150, means asus has to price that ax68u at $100.

Last edited:
Wondering if this one is mainly for AiMesh 2.0, for people using AX-86U and want a Mesh setup in the future?

No, the same cannot be said for the RT-AC86U. Your environment sounds unique; every customer I've had with the RT-AC86U states how it has transformed their network.

Are you back to the cores again? :p

Cores are not equivalent. Stop believing they are.

It is not the 0.3GHz faster core that (only) makes them better on the RT-AC86U, RT-AX86U, and the RT-AX68U (if they're the same processor, of course).

The RT-AX58U is a misstep from Asus. Great, compact body. Crippled antennae/streams (even though it has 4 antennae!) Poor choice for the processor on an AX class router though.

The biggest drawback for the RT-AX58U is not its performance, considering the hardware it has, rather, it is the price relative to what you can buy for similar cost.

No, the same cannot be said for the RT-AC86U. Your environment sounds unique; every customer I've had with the RT-AC86U states how it has transformed their network.

Transformed their network from what though? Sure it also transformed my network upgrading from an ac66u_b1 but it was so unstable and unreliable I had to get rid of it for an ax58u which was a much better upgrade for me since I don't care about the vpn speeds.

Are you back to the cores again? :p

Cores are not equivalent. Stop believing they are.

of course they aren't equivalent, one is a dual core one is a tri core, that is a big difference.

It is not the 0.3GHz faster core that (only) makes them better on the RT-AC86U, RT-AX86U, and the RT-AX68U (if they're the same processor, of course).

that would make them different processor wouldn't it?

The RT-AX58U is a misstep from Asus. Great, compact body. Crippled antennae/streams (even though it has 4 antennae!) Poor choice for the processor on an AX class router though.

The biggest drawback for the RT-AX58U is not its performance, considering the hardware it has, rather, it is the price relative to what you can buy for similar cost.

what? The ax58u sells for $150 half the time and I got it refurbished for $125. I wouldn't pay $170 for it, but I also wouldn't pay close to or double that for a ax86u or ax88u either.

Crippled antennae? I don't understand, its 2.4ghz range blows away the ac86u after I tried both of them and the 5ghz was too close to tell. I suspect the 4th external antennae makes a difference.

but are you doing it just for a cool tech experiment or to say you have the fastest router? Depends on if it actually benefits your network. the ax58u at least improved the range to my doorbell over the ac66u-b1 from poor signal to good but thats the only benefit i got from it besides possibly better battery on galaxy s20 phone (lol) and "future proofing". Why spend another $125 on top of that? The doorbell still worked and i could of lived without the ax58u.

Like @thiggins keeps saying, mu-mimo and ax don't benefit anyone cause a) they don't even own devices that support them and b) even if they do they won't notice any improvement from them. $125 might be nothing for you, but many people live on a strict budget especially in these turbulent times. In 5 years i still won't have enough ax devices or isp speed to notice any difference with the ax86u. A more noticeable improvement would be a second ax58u to extend the wireless range with aimesh.

like i said earlier the fact you can get an ax58u for 125-150, means asus has to price that ax68u at $100.
If I only have to spend an additional $100 USD to get the one of the best performing and lowest latency consumer wireless routers I have ever owned then I will consider that the bargain of all bargains. A few months ago I put an AX86U in a relative's house as an upgrade from their older AC68P because they do online streaming for a business and working at home as a college teacher who is required to stream classes daily to students. The older Asus router worked fine but he and his wife told me that the new AX86U is exceptional. It has been working flawlessly. It has better range. It helps keep the audio and video stream high quality and it minimizes the lag time during streaming sessions. In this era of lock downs the reliability and performance of your wireless router becomes a critical component of your ability to do and keep your job.

I don't know exactly what you mean about a cool tech experiment. Besides the practical usability I consider buying and trying wireless networking equipment a fun hobby. I have the type of personality that I get excited when something works really well. I like reading posts about other models that I don't own because I have friends that ask me for advice and they don't always want or need the latest greatest but want something new that works well. It's good to know that the Asus AX58U is working great for you. If you tell us you want to buy another AX58U I won't stop you.

Last edited:

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!