What's new

News RT-AX68U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

If I only have to spend an additional $100 USD to get the one of the best performing and lowest latency consumer wireless routers I have ever owned then I will consider that the bargain of all bargains. A few months ago I put an AX86U in a relative's house as an upgrade from their older AC68P because they do online streaming for a business and working at home as a college teacher who is required to stream classes daily to students. The older Asus router worked fine but he and his wife told me that the new AX86U is exceptional. It has been working flawlessly. It has better range. It helps keep the audio and video stream high quality and it minimizes the lag time during streaming sessions. In this era of lock downs the reliability and performance of your wireless router becomes a critical component of your ability to do and keep your job.

I don't know exactly what you mean about a cool tech experiment. Besides the practical usability I consider buying and trying wireless networking equipment a fun hobby. I have the type of personality that I get excited when something works really well. I like reading posts about other models that I don't own because I have friends that ask me for advice and they don't always want or need the latest greatest but want something new that works well. It's good to know that the Asus AX58U is working great for you. If you tell us you want to buy another AX58U I won't stop you.

For me it would be $125 more. And in my case I live in a smaller home in an area not that congested. i'm good with just one router if I had the money I'd get an ax86u since I don't really need aimesh. Otherwise I'd buy two ax58u's. But I'm sure your relatives would of felt the same way if you put an ax58u in their house, as I did upgrading my ac66u_b1. But to each his own, for some people its a nice hobby and toy. Thats what I mean by cool tech experiment, testing out the latest tech. nothing wrong with it.

I wouldn't have even bought the ax58 if it wasn't for a good refurbished price. I'm glad I lucked out and its working well, but if i'm honest with myself i only bought it to have a new toy to test out myself as well. There was nothing really practical about it. $125 is too much money just to give better wifi to my front doorbell. If I paid double that for the ax86u I'd be ashamed of myself not for just wasting my money but letting asus inflate the market.

IMO Asus knows they have to get that ax68u to $100, because their ax routers are just too overpriced for most people. They are so oversaturated with their routers which are getting buggier and they starting to lose customers to the lower priced netgear and tplink. And now they are releasing yet another ax model. its crazy. I still prefer asus since they update their firmware more often with security patches and support their routers for years. But once I feel that isn't happening anymore then I will rethink supporting them and possibly just finally pull the trigger on building my own router with a unifi ap.

Last edited:
The RT-AX68U is a higher end device than the RT-AX58U/RT-AX56U, so no way it's going to be priced lower than these. I'm not sure where those news site got the idea that this would be a sub-100$ router...

It has 64-bit 1.8 GHz Cortex A53 CPUs versus 8-10 years old 32-bit 1.5 GHz Cortex A7 cores on the RT-AX58U. It also has radios with dedicated CPUs (AFAIK, couldn't track down the exact SoC model), which would be faster at handling large number of clients than the RT-AX58U.

Specs-wise, the hardware sits between the RT-AX58U and the RT-AX86U, being closer to he RT-AX86U.

Asus has indicated in the press that the new RT-AX68U will be priced less than $100 in the US.

Do you have the actual press release? So far I saw one news site claiming "Price is unknown, but we expected it to be sub-100$".

Do you have the actual press release? So far I saw one news site claiming "Price is unknown, but we expected it to be sub-100$".

multiple news sites repeating it. It would make sense since the cheapest ax router they have is $150 retail. why would they keep flooding different routers for the same market? You can already get the 58u for the same price or cheaper then the 56u, and the price of the 82u is laughable with the ax86u being $20 dollars more.

Doesn't the ac86u have the dual core 1.8ghz cortex a53 processor? and that router is buggy and unstable imo, with a poor range compared to the ax58u especially 2.4ghz. If they cut costs maybe its not from the processor. Though I'll take tri core over dual core especially if not wanting to have to disable features for stability. I think asus is crazy having so many different model routers with slight differences. Makes them seem like a sketchy and greedy company. What are we just beta testers?

They gotta have something to compete with tp-link prices, why not try to make their ac66u_b1 and ac68u routers obsolete instead more of their own ax routers they released. Since right now no company has a real entry level priced ax router they could completely dominate the ax market for a long time. I'm not a marketing guy so what do I know, They won me as a fan with the ac66u_b1 but almost lost me as a fan with the ac86u. If I didn't get a good price on the ax58u which tested great for me I would of moved on. Like @L&LD says Asus is out to lunch and I will have to look long and hard at them when it comes time to upgrade again. I don't know how they will keep up with quality firmware's with so many routers they got on the market.

Last edited:
@cooloutac, It's not crazy. It's called strategic marketing. It's actually fairly common for large tech equipment companies to market a diverse range of products with similar specs but different looks and model numbers as a way to control the competitive pricing and shelf space/page space in different markets... i.e. retail big chain box stores like BB, Costco, etc... vs. online like Amazon, Newegg, B&H, etc.. They can better regulate the pricing on more exclusive models with slightly different specs that they wholesale in large numbers to one chain (like Asus did with the BB AC68P/AC1900P series) without creating pricing conflicts with their general release models (like the more common AC68U/AC1900 series) that they wholesale to everyone else. As a general consumer you have to figure out what model best suites your needs and price point and not get too caught up in the marketing specs.

It's been out of stock and/or back ordered everywhere for months. It's one of Asus's most popular newer routers right now and I doubt that will change anytime soon.

Isn't it the newest router? It does get exceptional reviews on amazon. I guess time will tell if it ever catches up to the ac68u, ac86u or ax58u.

@cooloutac, It's not crazy. It's called strategic marketing. It's actually fairly common for large tech equipment companies to market a diverse range of products with similar specs but different looks and model numbers as a way to control the competitive pricing and shelf space/page space in different markets... i.e. retail big chain box stores like BB, Costco, etc... vs. online like Amazon, Newegg, B&H, etc.. They can better regulate the pricing on more exclusive models with slightly different specs that they wholesale in large numbers to one chain (like Asus did with the BB AC68P/AC1900P series) without creating pricing conflicts with their general release models (like the more common AC68U/AC1900 series) that they wholesale to everyone else. As a general consumer you have to figure out what model best suites your needs and price point and not get too caught up in the marketing specs.

Like I said you can get a 58u for the price the 56u sells for now . the ax82u isn't much better then the ax58u but its $100 dollars more! and only 20-$30 cheaper then the ax86u! So those two models are already pointless and obsolete. And they announce two at the same time too. lol Thats nuts.

I just don't see netgear or tp-link doing that to the extent asus does. Its not even close. Meanwhile their ac1750 and ac1900 routers cost 30-50% less then asus. The most popular routers on amazon are tp-link ones. I originally went with asus after researching how they update their firmware for security updates and stability almost every month, way more often then the other companies and that they support their routers for longer. But With the rate they releasing these ax routers I now worry that is going to change. Either they won't be able to keep up with monthly updates, routers will eol sooner, or the firmware's will have poorer quality and they will lose me as a customer. The horrible experience with the ac86u still leaves a bad taste in my mouth as it is and I just hope they aren't going downhill to milk the success of the ac68u.

As a general consumer if you don't get caught up in marketing specs, you basically just looking at price, speed and range. But the asus market is so saturated I feel like to figure out what asus model is best for me I have to buy 3 routers at a time and test them all out lol.

Like I said you can get a 58u for the price the 56u sells for now . the ax82u isn't much better then the ax58u but its $100 dollars more! and only 20-$30 cheaper then the ax86u! So those two models are already pointless and obsolete. And they announce two at the same time too. lol Thats nuts.

I just don't see netgear or tp-link doing that to the extent asus does. Its not even close. Meanwhile their ac1750 and ac1900 routers cost 30-50% less then asus. The most popular routers on amazon are tp-link ones. I originally went with asus after researching how they update their firmware for security updates and stability almost every month, way more often then the other companies and that they support their routers for longer. But With the rate they releasing these ax routers I now worry that is going to change. Either they won't be able to keep up with monthly updates, routers will eol sooner, or the firmware's will have poorer quality and they will lose me as a customer. The horrible experience with the ac86u still leaves a bad taste in my mouth as it is and I just hope they aren't going downhill to milk the success of the ac68u.

As a general consumer if you don't get caught up in marketing specs, you basically just looking at price, speed and range. But the asus market is so saturated I feel like to figure out what asus model is best for me I have to buy 3 routers at a time and test them all out lol.
I agree with those underlined points. I have noticed in the past the same thing in regards to the wide range of the retail pricing of some of these models. What we don't know is what the wholesale volume pricing is to the online and big box retailers. Just because the suggested retail price or current asking retail price is a certain amount doesn't mean that is the same price difference it was sold for in wholesale volume. There is a lot of pricing flexibility these days and much of it is determined by marketing and volume pricing as opposed to only the cost of per unit manufacturing...(cost of internal components, assembly, etc.).

... and YES the only way to really know for yourself what is the best model for you is to buy the routers you are interested in and do your own comparison in your own environment... and as we have read... many members of this forum do exactly that either on purpose or by trial and error. I like to keep it simple and read a ton of reviews (the good, the bad and the ugly) before I buy and that method has worked well for me so far.

Last edited:
multiple news sites repeating it.
Doesn't make it true. It's all speculation at this point and a pretty good case has been made here that it is a more powerful router than the AX58U and thus will likely be priced higher. I could envision a scenario where Asus prices it slightly above the AX58U's current price then drops the AX58U price. So maybe $150 for the 58U, $200 for the 68U and the 86U stays at $250. But my guess is no better or worse than anyone else's. Have we beaten this topic to death yet? :)

BTW, I see that the firmware for this model is on the Asus site and it's dated 12/21/2020. Version 3.0.0.4.386.41178. I'm going to assume that means release is imminent.

Last edited:
Doesn't make it true. It's all speculation at this point and a pretty good case has been made here that it is a more powerful router than the AX58U and thus will likely be priced higher. I could envision a scenario where Asus prices it slightly above the AX58U's current price then drops the AX58U price. So maybe $150 for the 58U, $200 for the 68U and the 86U stays at $250. But my guess is no better or worse than anyone else's. Have we beaten this topic to death yet? :)

BTW, I see that the firmware for this model is on the Asus site and it's dated 12/21/2020. Version 3.0.0.4.386.41178. I'm going to assume that means release is imminent.

I think the company has been going downhill for a while and I now believe its mostly from shady business practices. the ax58u will probably be the last router I purchase from them. Instead of making one router they make 3 out of it.

$200 for a dual core router? all for the mimo that doesn't benefit anyone? What is even going to be the range on the thing? Take the 56u example that has poor range compared to the ax58u even though more processor then the ax58u. why? for $20 dollars less? Its almost like they are trying to purposely trick and confuse the consumer. Look at the ac86u that caps out resources and runs like garbage with all features enabled. That faster dual core processor is certainly no selling point to me. I feel that not only is the firmware quality going downhill so is the hardware on these routers. I can't believe how many people are buying them for these outrageous prices.

I agree with those underlined points. I have noticed in the past the same thing in regards to the wide range of the retail pricing of some of these models. What we don't know is what the wholesale volume pricing is to the online and big box retailers. Just because the suggested retail price or current asking retail price is a certain amount doesn't mean that is the same price difference it was sold for in wholesale volume. There is a lot of pricing flexibility these days and much of it is determined by marketing and volume pricing as opposed to only the cost of per unit manufacturing...(cost of internal components, assembly, etc.).

... and YES the only way to really know for yourself what is the best model for you is to buy the routers you are interested in and do your own comparison in your own environment... and as we have read... many members of this forum do exactly that either on purpose or by trial and error. I like to keep it simple and read a ton of reviews (the good, the bad and the ugly) before I buy and that method has worked well for me so far.

Its not just about the price they are sold retail. Its the fact the 56u, 58u and 82u should be a single router at the median price point instead of 3 different routers. Its shady business. The reviews on amazon and the like are getting less and lress reliable. Its a corrupt industry. Even these forums are suspect. And as a customer I should not have to buy and test all 3 routers. That's a ridiculous expectation. Its to the point where we are buying the routers not to see what features work best and are worth the cost, but to see what router is stable and actually functions properly and as advertised.

Since they keep rushing out loads of products now quality is really going downhill. These new routers got more problem posts then the ac68u has in the past 7 years. You would think it would be the opposite assuming most of them should be dying and kicking the bucket by now...lol Peoples ac86u is lucky to last 2 years after having loads of problems and that doesn't even have the "new tech" excuse. I won't even buy an ax88u and ax86u since I'd feel like a beta tester.

My personal reasons for originally buying asus don't seem to be valid anymore when Firmware updates sometimes take months now and firmware is buggier then ever. If they keep releasing model after model trying to get to the point where they are crappy netgear and tp-link when it comes to hardware reliability and software stability then they are indeed headed in that direction.

@cooloutac , You never know. Maybe Asus will read your posts and take some of your advice. They do read and respond to their customers and take a lot of information into consideration on other web sites like Amazon, etc..

@cooloutac , You never know. Maybe Asus will read your posts and take some of your advice. They do read and respond to their customers and take a lot of information into consideration on other web sites like Amazon, etc..

True. It does happen and its why i like to post my opinions. Too many people think their voice doesn't matter. I appreciate @thiggins for only throttling me and not outright banning me. These forums are a wealth of information. :cool:

It's been out of stock and/or back ordered everywhere for months. It's one of Asus's most popular newer routers right now and I doubt that will change anytime soon.
I setup a stock alert for the AX86U with B&H. Amazon claims it will ship around 2/9 so I may just order one now and then buy from B&H if they get some in before that. Or maybe the AX68U will show up sooner and I'll get that one instead. All these discussions make me want to upgrade from my AC66U_B1!

Last edited:
Doesn't the ac86u have the dual core 1.8ghz cortex a53 processor? and that router is buggy and unstable imo, with a poor range compared to the ax58u especially 2.4ghz.

The CPU has absolutely nothing to do with it. The RT-AC86U has the dual core variant of the quad-core CPU used by the RT-AX88U and RT-AX86U (bcm4906 vs bcm4908). Same Cortex A53 cores, just the number of cores that differs.

RT-AX56U: 149$
RT-AX58U: 179$
RT-AX82U: 229$
RT-AX86U: 249$
RT-AX88U: 299$

My personal guess is the RT-AX68U will sit at 199$, based on the hardware in it and the price gap between low-end RT-AX5x and mid-end RT-AX8x.

The CPU has absolutely nothing to do with it. The RT-AC86U has the dual core variant of the quad-core CPU used by the RT-AX88U and RT-AX86U (bcm4906 vs bcm4908). Same Cortex A53 cores, just the number of cores that differs.

RT-AX56U: 149$
RT-AX58U: 179$
RT-AX82U: 229$
RT-AX86U: 249$
RT-AX88U: 299$

My personal guess is the RT-AX68U will sit at 199$, based on the hardware in it and the price gap between low-end RT-AX5x and mid-end RT-AX8x.

Exactly my point. Thanks for confirming. The ax68u will be the dual core variant like the ac86u, a router that retails for $160 on Amazon. and the Same cortex a53 cores in the ax86u. You might not think cpu matters but I think it plays a role when enabling lots of features and keeping high throughput. That ax56u that sells for $149 is a quad core cpu, but the reason its cheaper then the tri core ax58u is because the wireless range and speeds are severely neutered on it. They should of priced that one at $100. But like I said before I would of never paid $179 for the ax58u. I paid less then $130 for a refurbished model otherwise I would of stuck with my ac66u_b1. And the price of that ax82u is an insult to peoples intelligence.

Regardless, According to your list there I don't see any price gap missing for the ax68u to fill except for below $149 at $100. The $50 gap you mention between the 58u and 82u is no larger then the $50 gap between the ax86u and the ax88u, another insult to peoples intelligence. They gonna release another dam model to fill that gap too? lol The only missing gap is $50 less then the 56u. And if Asus doesn't it price the ax68u below $150 I certainly won't be overpaying for their brand name and overcrowded product range anymore. The firmware on the asus routers is no longer a selling point to me. I bought the ac66u_b1 thinking i'd use your firmware and I ended up using stock for 3 years for the timely security and stability updates. I'm using stock on the ax58u right now after returning the ac86u i bought for the vpn use. But timely and stable updates doesn't seem to be a thing anymore with asus and I can't be surprised with all the routers they have to keep up with now. I foresee that only getting worse. High prices certainly won't keep me using them in the future.

I mean think about it carefully. The ax86u is $50 dollars cheaper then the ax88u but by many accounts a better router with only minor differences. So why would it be crazy to think the ax68u should be $50 cheaper then the ax58u? It would be smart on Asus' part.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!