What's new

News RT-AX68U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I just looked at Staples' site. Seems like all their Asus routers are priced about 30% above other retail outlets.

Canadian site. Convert that to USD, and it will match.

@Lee MacMillan, just like I guessed (from that review) 'better than the 'AX50 series routers with performance close to the higher-end models. Looking better each day!

... At the time of this post the RT-AX86Us are going for $489 USD on Amazon from third party sellers. They continue to be out of stock or back ordered everywhere else.
On 1/5, they are back to $250 on Amazon with an expected in-stock date of 1/17. We'll see how long that holds true.

On 1/5, they are back to $250 on Amazon with an expected in-stock date of 1/17. We'll see how long that holds true.
I ordered an AX86U from ShopBLT on 12/29. At the time they had, I believe, 9 units coming in, due on 1/5, with 6 or 7 of them spoken for. A few days ago their incoming increased to 12, with a date pushed out to the 17th. Now it shows an ETA of 3 weeks. I'm HOPING that they are getting multiple shipments in (the one I ordered coming in on the next shipment, due any day, rather than being pushed out to 3 weeks). But who knows? They're $255, and charge $2 handling, but they don't charge tax in my area, so it still ends up being the cheapest option.

But I'm also interested in an AX68U when those become available. :)

Last edited:
No. On Staples.com the AX86U is listed at $212. On Staples.ca it is $330 CDN.
Err...no, Staples.com doesn't show any listing for the RT-AX86U. They do however currently show the RT-AC86U for $212 ($211.99). :rolleyes:

It's way more router than I need. I'm going to wait for a while and see if the AX68U becomes available.
Will it be more router than you need in two, three or four years?... or will you need to upgrade your router again and pay another $200 at that time. I see that extra $50 cost right now for the AX86U as a better value for future proofing your investment.

Will it be more router than you need in two, three or four years?... or will you need to upgrade your router again and pay another $200 at that time. I see that extra $50 cost right now for the AX86U as a better value for future proofing your investment.
I don't disagree on the value argument but we are a two (retired) person household and I can't imagine a scenario where we would need more capabilities than the AX68U provides. Remember, the AC66U_B1 is serving our needs today so any upgrade is based more on want than need as long as the 66U keeps chugging along.

We`re talking about the RT-AX86U, not RT-AC86U.
The more I think about it the RT-AX68U is starting to look to me more like a re-branded RT-AC86U with AX/Wifi 6 capabilities. If $199 is the price of the AX68U you are paying about $30 more for AX/Wifi 6 capabilities vs. a new AC86U.

I don't disagree on the value argument but we are a two (retired) person household and I can't imagine a scenario where we would need more capabilities than the AX68U provides. Remember, the AC66U_B1 is serving our needs today so any upgrade is based more on want than need as long as the 66U keeps chugging along.
I get it... you can afford to wait... but in the meantime what can we say that we haven't already said to get you to "want" the AX86U? :p

The more I think about it the RT-AX68U is starting to look to me more like a re-branded RT-AC86U with AX/Wifi 6 capabilities. If $199 is the price of the AX68U you are paying about $30 more for AX/Wifi 6 capabilities vs. a new AC86U.

It's a bit more than that though with its 2.5G port, and it also has twice the amount of RAM.

The AX68U is on the US Asus site now but the specs page is blank as I post this.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!