What's new

News RT-AX68U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Sometime in the last couple of days, Amazon decided to copy all 8613 reviews from the AC68U to the AX68U page. With only 1 letter difference in the model name, they must be pretty similar, right? ;)
It's just because, for some reason, they've put them on the same product page (along with a couple of other models). If you go to the "all reviews" page, you can filter them for just the AX2700 reviews (of which there appear to be none). I hate when they combine different products on one page.
1611863904612.png

Appeared in Latvia's internet shops, price range at the moment of writing this: 210..260€
Expected delivery - 15.02

Last edited:
It's just because, for some reason, they've put them on the same product page (along with a couple of other models). If you go to the "all reviews" page, you can filter them for just the AX2700 reviews (of which there appear to be none). I hate when they combine different products on one page.
View attachment 29976
One review so far. Not off to a good start. Wouldn't connect to wifi (acknowledged by Asus tech support) and had to be returned!

How many possible sales though that don't 'review' anything? :)

Reviews are just current marketing tactics. Not good for reliable information at all.

How many possible sales though that don't 'review' anything? :)

Reviews are just current marketing tactics. Not good for reliable information at all.
I bought mine through Amazon and didn't review it. :eek: But as I said before, I'm a fairly basic user, so I'm not a good source. I can say I had no problem getting it set up, and performance has improved over the router it replaced, but I also slightly moved it, so not completely apples to apples. But I can at least confirm they don't ALL have to be returned. ;)

But SNB will review AX68 right? That would be a realiable review?

Looking forward to @thiggins ! :) Just checked out - in Latvia cheapest deal for AX68 is 199€

VPN question

So I see that the AX will have a quad-core CPU but we know that OpenVPN is single core.

BCM4908 (Quad) with AX68 and
BCM4906 CPU (Dual) with AC86U

both at 1.8Ghz

understand also that it is diff gen architectures, 64 bit etc. and crypto is offload

When or if Merlin someday becomes available should I then expect

1) better OpenVPN performance than the current say ~ 200Mbps and

2) is there improvements for generational changes on AES NI

Thanks

VPN question

So I see that the AX will have a quad-core CPU but we know that OpenVPN is single core.

BCM4908 (Quad) with AX68 and
BCM4906 CPU (Dual) with AC86U
I think you're confusing the AX68U and the AX86U. The former has a dual-core BCM4906 (same as the AC86U) and the latter has the quad-core 4908.

I can't edit my prior post.

I mean for this one AX68U - what can I expect as an estimate for OpenVPN performance

given that this thread with the older AC version has an OpenVPN performance of about 200Mbps

At best, the same. At worst, less. Given the only information given is the (same?) 1.8GHz Dual Core as in the RT-AC86U.

I wonder if there is a difference in the SPU. I didn't see anything on the broadcom site

Wow, long thread. A couple of observations: Asus really does have bewildering and confusing lineup of routers. I don't suppose the other manufacturers are any better. But I counted at least 5 or 6 different AX routers discussed here and I'm not sure the AX11Billion even came up. Or the "ROG" line. Bottom line, the price for these routers may be the strongest signal: you get what you pay for.

I knew something was up when the ax58/82 at best buy were both far cheaper than what I paid for the AC3100.

Glad I have this forum to help me sort it out.

On this router...I'm not sure if it's going or coming. The front looks like the rear. And the rear looks like the front. I like the ax86 looks a lot better and it's featured prominently (gotta let them antennae breathe!) so that alone might be worth another 50 bucks. And btw for anyone wondering I got it in 2 days from Amazon. The supply constraints appear to be better than earlier discussed, though it's not a router I could get at BB.

Just got rt-ax68u as replacement for my failing rt-ac86u for 151eur (~184usd) in local shop in Latvia.

Could not justify for myself purchase of rt-ax86u, so got ax68u instead. Must have was merlin fw support, of course. Without merlin any asus router is zero worth for me.

Not set it up yet, will do it this weekend. Will let you know. I expect same performance as ac86u since CPU and ram is same. Dont care about wi-fi much, I care about usb 3 port performance when sharing files. I hope read speed will be maxed out by gbit lan like it is on ac-86u.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!