What's new

RT-AX86S - 2.4Gbps connections

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

synapse46

Occasional Visitor
I noticed the other day I had a number of devices connecting at 2.4Gbps. Days later possibly after a reboot they were connecting at 1.2Gbps. I found if I change the 5ghz channel sometimes these will connect again at 2.4Gbps but not always. I have the 2.4 radio disabled and I need to use non DFS channels. Any better idea what the issue is with maintaining 2.4Gbps connections.

I noticed the other day I had a number of devices connecting at 2.4Gbps. Days later possibly after a reboot they were connecting at 1.2Gbps. I found if I change the 5ghz channel sometimes these will connect again at 2.4Gbps but not always. I have the 2.4 radio disabled and I need to use non DFS channels. Any better idea what the issue is with maintaining 2.4Gbps connections.

Wireless AX clients connecting at 2.4Gbps using 160 MHz bandwidth across DFS channels? If so, the router may be dropping back to 80 MHz bw and non-DFS channels to avoid DFS channel use by other. To continue connecting at 2.4Gbps, you'll have to move away from other DFS channel users... airports in particular.

If using DFS channels is disruptive to your clients/users, then don't use them... set 80 MHz bw across non-DFS channels.

OE

Is there any way to verify it is broadcasting 160Mhz? I find it odd its all or none of the devices connecting at 2.4Gbps.

Wireless AX clients connecting at 2.4Gbps using 160 MHz bandwidth across DFS channels? If so, the router may be dropping back to 80 MHz bw and non-DFS channels to avoid DFS channel use by other. To continue connecting at 2.4Gbps, you'll have to move away from other DFS channel users... airports in particular.

If using DFS channels is disruptive to your clients/users, then don't use them... set 80 MHz bw across non-DFS channels.

OE

I've always used non-DFS channels and periodically have devices connect at 2.4Gbps.

Is there any way to verify it is broadcasting 160Mhz? I find it odd its all or none of the devices connecting at 2.4Gbps.

How is it configured? How are clients connecting?... examine the Wireless Log. To get a 2.4Gbps wireless link rate, I think you need AX clients connecting at 2.4Gbps using 160 MHz bandwidth across DFS channels, yes? (answer that question!)

My install notes have a pretty picture of the 5.0 band.

OE

Why do you have the 2.4 GHz radio disabled? There is no advantage to that.
Use Dual Band SmartConnect with the rest of the WIFI at defaults. Yes, use Auto channel for both bands. You might want to set the 2.4 GHz to 20 MHz. Turn off WPS and run the 5 GHz at 20, 40, 80, 160 MHz bandwidth. The 5 GHz will run at 80 MHz most of the time unless an AX client connects and can use 160 MHz and the router is cleared for RADAR. Use WPA2-Personal or WPA2/WPA3-personal. Some of your older clients may not like WPA2/WPA3 and in that case set up a Guest WIFI with just WPA2-Personal for them.
This may seem counter productive but you need to trust your router and clients to choose the band and bandwidth that works for them.

We had issues with consoles
Why do you have the 2.4 GHz radio disabled? There is no advantage to that.
Use Dual Band SmartConnect with the rest of the WIFI at defaults. Yes, use Auto channel for both bands. You might want to set the 2.4 GHz to 20 MHz. Turn off WPS and run the 5 GHz at 20, 40, 80, 160 MHz bandwidth. The 5 GHz will run at 80 MHz most of the time unless an AX client connects and can use 160 MHz and the router is cleared for RADAR. Use WPA2-Personal or WPA2/WPA3-personal. Some of your older clients may not like WPA2/WPA3 and in that case set up a Guest WIFI with just WPA2-Personal for them.
This may seem counter productive but you need to trust your router and clients to choose the band and bandwidth that works for them.

Using smartconnect we had issues with gaming laptops and consoles(although I think mostly the windows laptops) in near proximity sometimes connecting to the 2.4 radio. I got tired of fussing with it and just turned it off and life has been better this way.

At this point I think I'm willing to accept devices will connect at 2.4Gbps when everything "feels like it".

1645808939841.png

1645808716953.png

I can hit this on the WAN but, when I'm moving files internally it's about 2X that and if I run the test directly from my server setup as a router....

1645808867399.png

This is also on a VPN using Wire Guard and most likely not the most optimal server to be connected to for the fastest speed possible.

WA will show you this..
1645809047961.png

How is it configured? How are clients connecting?... examine the Wireless Log. To get a 2.4Gbps wireless link rate, I think you need AX clients connecting at 2.4Gbps using 160 MHz bandwidth across DFS channels, yes? (answer that question!)

My install notes have a pretty picture of the 5.0 band.

OE

1645813672065.png

Last edited:
View attachment 39806

View attachment 39804

I can hit this on the WAN but, when I'm moving files internally it's about 2X that and if I run the test directly from my server setup as a router....

View attachment 39805

This is also on a VPN using Wire Guard and most likely not the most optimal server to be connected to for the fastest speed possible.

WA will show you this..
View attachment 39807

my phone shows 36-64, 100-144 and 149-177 ranges on graphs and my ssid doesn't show up on any of these.

I just switched the channel from 48 to 40 and back to 48 and I'm connecting at 2.4Gbps now.
Random Asus quirk?

@synapse46
I run my AP on 40 and it's stable. Could be an Asus quirk though.

The phone not showing the SSID is a bit of a quirk as well even though you're connected it might not show the name in the app. If you post the output from the app it might have a clue as to why you're flapping between 80 / 160.

@synapse46
I run my AP on 40 and it's stable. Could be an Asus quirk though.

The phone not showing the SSID is a bit of a quirk as well even though you're connected it might not show the name in the app. If you post the output from the app it might have a clue as to why you're flapping between 80 / 160.

This was my mistake, apparently the last time I used the app I set a filter. It is showing 160mhz right now and our laptops are connecting at 2.4Gbps. Next time they are connecting at 1.2 I'll check the channel width.

Noticed today devices connecting at 1.2Gbps. The wifi analyzer app is showing the router is broadcasting at 80Mhz, so it is definitely falling back from 160Mhz, has 6 days uptime.

Noticed today devices connecting at 1.2Gbps. The wifi analyzer app is showing the router is broadcasting at 80Mhz, so it is definitely falling back from 160Mhz, has 6 days uptime.

You could try setting 160 MHz bw, not 20/40/80/160, but this shouldn't stop DFS setback to non-DFS channels and 80 MHz.

OE

Just came across this thread..

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!