What's new

RT-AX86S vs RT-AX86U vs RT-AX86U Pro

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

When you go into the Guest Network Pro there are predefined guest networks, one being labeled IoT. The issue I encountered using this pre defined network is there was no option to disable AP isolation.

In the ”normal” guest networks, the option to enable/disable AP isolation is available. I wanted the ability to turn off AP isolation on my IoT network.

I just created a normal guest network with AP isolation off and used it for my IoT devices.

I sent in a feedback to Asus, using the built in feedback option, concerning this quirk about the lack of AP isolation in their pre defined IoT guest network.

I used to have two identical RT-AX86U routers. I used the second one as a backup, and successfully deployed it by restoring a settings backup from the first one, to the second one when the first one died. Despite not checking if the (OEM) firmware versions were identical, the restore worked perfectly.

When one of those RT-AX86U routers died, ASUS replaced it (free) with an RT-AX86U Pro. So now I have one RT-AX86U and one RT-AX86U Pro.

Do you think a settings backup from the RT-AX86U would restore to the RT-AX86U Pro? Or is it a stretch to assume that any settings backup other than from the same router should ever be restored, and further only if the firmware version had not changed after the backup was taken? And in all other cases, one should best manually match the settings using screen shots?

I have successfully backed up and restored config files across model lines including RT-AC86U to RT-AX86S and RT-AX86U to GT-AX6000 with no issues. The AC --> AX was an interesting use case as I went from 386.11 to 388.2_2. Granted it was in AP only mode

I have successfully backed up and restored

I also have examples of successfully transferred configuration between HND models, but the user needs to know the differences in firmware options and accordingly remove the ones not present in the new router firmware before the transfer. With some experience there is a safe way to do it.

What is the CPU and RAM used for in a router? I have the RT-AX86S and trying to decide if I need the U for an extra $90. I have pretty modest needs. No (serious) gaming, but we stream our tv watching. No VPN's. two adults, two children (6 and 11). I work from home, but video calls are the most demanding need from my work. As far as I can tell, speed and coverage are the same. Just the RAM and CPU upgraded on the 86U. Our ISP speed is 100Mbps. Our ISP currently doesn't even offer anything above 1Gbps.

Welcome to the forums @indiehouse.

None of these models are worth spending money on today. Crippled hardware that will soon be obsolete and left behind.

You don't state your ISP speeds, but the best bang for the buck models today (running RMerlin firmware, of course) are the GT-AX6000 and the newer RT-AX88U Pro. For expected ISP speeds below ~600Mbps for the next few years, the RT-AX68U is also a good buy if it is available in your area. (The former two models suggested are capable of ~2.5Gbps speeds, of course. And are something to keep in mind if your local ISP may offer that in the near or not-too-distant future).

What is the CPU and RAM used for in a router? I have the RT-AX86S and trying to decide if I need the U for an extra $90. I have pretty modest needs. No (serious) gaming, but we stream our tv watching. No VPN's. two adults, two children (6 and 11). I work from home, but video calls are the most demanding need from my work. As far as I can tell, speed and coverage are the same. Just the RAM and CPU upgraded on the 86U. Our ISP speed is 100Mbps. Our ISP currently doesn't even offer anything above 1Gbps.
Are you having problems with the RT-AX86S? If not, why do you want to replace it with a newer router? Is there a special need or requirement?
If you want to upgrade you should review if you need extra features that newer routers may offer. Everyone will have their own personal opinions on what routers other should upgrade to. Generally around here people will recommend the RT-AX88U Pro or GT-AX6000. There may be other routers that would fit your needs or use case including the RT-AX86U vs RT-AX86U Pro discussed in this topic but if the cost of the RT-AX88U or GT-AX6000 are close to that of the RT-AX86U vs RT-AX86U Pro it is wise to go with RT-AX88U or GT-AX6000 because they have a few extra options/features not found on the RT-AX86U vs RT-AX86U Pro.

Unless you are running any add-ons through AMTM, like Adguardhome, save yourself the money and stick with the 86S. I have the GT-AX6000, RT-AX86U, and have had the RT-AX86S. Other than the 2.5G WAN port, double the RAM and CPU, there is no real difference between these models. From my experience, functionally, the GT-AX6000 has slightly better 2.4G coverage on 20Mhz clients, whereas the AX86U/AX86S on 5G has slightly better coverage (all other things being equal like channel, bandwidth, etc) on 80Mhz clients. I don't have any 160Mhz clients, so I can't speak about those. The only reason why I got rid of the AX86S was that a family member needed a mesh node for their network and the GT was working well enough. I do now have one more AX86U and another en-route to balance out my network a bit better since I now have 1G symmetrical internet but back when I had 300/300 this new setup would be complete overkill (and probably is, even still).

Last edited:
Welcome to the forums @indiehouse.

None of these models are worth spending money on today. Crippled hardware that will soon be obsolete and left behind.

You don't state your ISP speeds, but the best bang for the buck models today (running RMerlin firmware, of course) are the GT-AX6000 and the newer RT-AX88U Pro. For expected ISP speeds below ~600Mbps for the next few years, the RT-AX68U is also a good buy if it is available in your area. (The former two models suggested are capable of ~2.5Gbps speeds, of course. And are something to keep in mind if your local ISP may offer that in the near or not-too-distant future).
Thanks for your reply (and in the other thread). If I don't expect to purchase an ISP plan above 500Mbps, would the money spent on the AX88U Pro and GT-AX6000 be wasted?

Are you having problems with the RT-AX86S? If not, why do you want to replace it with a newer router? Is there a special need or requirement?
If you want to upgrade you should review if you need extra features that newer routers may offer. Everyone will have their own personal opinions on what routers other should upgrade to. Generally around here people will recommend the RT-AX88U Pro or GT-AX6000. There may be other routers that would fit your needs or use case including the RT-AX86U vs RT-AX86U Pro discussed in this topic but if the cost of the RT-AX88U or GT-AX6000 are close to that of the RT-AX86U vs RT-AX86U Pro it is wise to go with RT-AX88U or GT-AX6000 because they have a few extra options/features not found on the RT-AX86U vs RT-AX86U Pro.
My old router is a Linksys WRT1900acs that, I think, was having random dropouts.

Unless you are running any add-ons through AMTM, like Adguardhome, save yourself the money and stick with the 86S. I have the GT-AX6000, RT-AX86U, and have had the RT-AX86S. Other than the 2.5G WAN port, double the RAM and CPU, there is no real difference between these models. From my experience, functionally, the GT-AX6000 has slightly better 2.4G coverage on 20Mhz clients, whereas the AX86U/AX86S on 5G has slightly better coverage (all other things being equal like channel, bandwidth, etc) on 80Mhz clients. I don't have any 160Mhz clients, so I can't speak about those. The only reason why I got rid of the AX86S was that a family member needed a mesh node for their network and the GT was working well enough. I do now have one more AX86U and another en-route to balance out my network a bit better since I now have 1G symmetrical internet but back when I had 300/300 this new setup would be complete overkill (and probably is, even still).
Would I notice an upgrade in RAM and CPU? I have a family of four, two kids 6 and 11. We pay for 100Mbs. Our home is two-stories and a basement, around 2400 sq/ft, and I'd like to cover both levels and the basement, preferably with a single router. Our speed seems to be doing us fine for now. We don't game and we stream our TV needs. I work from home with occasional video calls. There are 10-15 devices in the house, more when we host family. And a Ring doorbell. We don't have any wired connection needs for now. Everything is wifi. Modem is an Arris SB8200 (1 Gbps).

The routers I am choosing between:

TP-Link AX3000 (Archer AX55) - $100
Asus RT-AX86S (renewed from Amazon) - $130
TP-Link AXE5400 (Archer AXE75) - $150
Asus RT-X86U Pro - $220
Synology WRX560 - $220

Thanks for your reply (and in the other thread). If I don't expect to purchase an ISP plan above 500Mbps, would the money spent on the AX88U Pro and GT-AX6000 be wasted?

No. See the other thread. Please ask your questions in a single thread for your topic. Jumping back and forth is not good.

No. See the other thread. Please ask your questions in a single thread for your topic. Jumping back and forth is not good.

Thank you. I initially replied to this thread with a CPU/RAM question about the difference between the two routers in the thread title, but it evolved and had more people replying. I'll keep this in mind going forward.

Would I notice an upgrade in RAM and CPU? I have a family of four, two kids 6 and 11. We pay for 100Mbs. Our home is two-stories and a basement, around 2400 sq/ft, and I'd like to cover both levels and the basement, preferably with a single router. Our speed seems to be doing us fine for now. We don't game and we stream our TV needs. I work from home with occasional video calls. There are 10-15 devices in the house, more when we host family. And a Ring doorbell. We don't have any wired connection needs for now. Everything is wifi. Modem is an Arris SB8200 (1 Gbps).

The routers I am choosing between:

TP-Link AX3000 (Archer AX55) - $100
Asus RT-AX86S (renewed from Amazon) - $130
TP-Link AXE5400 (Archer AXE75) - $150
Asus RT-X86U Pro - $220
Synology WRX560 - $220

I just purchased a second hand RT-AX86U off eBay for ~$100 including shipping. Normally they go for around $110 with shipping. The AX86S are going for around $65-$75 with shipping and the pro’s are around $120-$130. I would skip Amazon for any of those models and the prices you stated. The GT-AX6000 will periodically get down to $225 on Amazon which is a decent deal. Out of all those and what you are looking to do, I would get the AX86U off eBay and call it a day. It’s got enough cpu/memory that if you decided to run Diversion or AdguardHome it won’t break the router unlike the AX86S which may struggle depending on how those services are configured. The 2.4 and 5G is pretty decent as well but is the same across the S/U/Pro. This is from my own personal experience with these models so ymmv.

I just purchased a second hand RT-AX86U off eBay for ~$100 including shipping. Normally they go for around $110 with shipping. The AX86S are going for around $65-$75 with shipping and the pro’s are around $120-$130. I would skip Amazon for any of those models and the prices you stated. The GT-AX6000 will periodically get down to $225 on Amazon which is a decent deal. Out of all those and what you are looking to do, I would get the AX86U off eBay and call it a day. It’s got enough cpu/memory that if you decided to run Diversion or AdguardHome it won’t break the router unlike the AX86S which may struggle depending on how those services are configured. The 2.4 and 5G is pretty decent as well but is the same across the S/U/Pro. This is from my own personal experience with these models so ymmv.
Thanks. I know next to nothing about a router's CPU and RAM requirements. I do see a new RT-AX88U Pro on Amazon for 215. I just don't know if I'd ever use it's capabilities.

Doesn't matter. For that price, you're passing up a deal that you'll kick yourself later for.

Thanks. I know next to nothing about a router's CPU and RAM requirements. I do see a new RT-AX88U Pro on Amazon for 215. I just don't know if I'd ever use it's capabilities.

If budget isn’t a concern then go for it. If budget is a concern then get the RT-AX86U off ebay.

Ebay. Just no.

If I don't expect to purchase an ISP plan above 500Mbps, would the money spent on the AX88U Pro and GT-AX6000 be wasted?
I've got 500 symmetrical and :wasted: the money ($229) on a GT-AX6000 so I can have greater throughput within my LAN for any and every thing which doesn't involve the Internet directly. Had to have that 2.5Gb LAN port... Well worth it to me.

I have an RT-AX86 pro and dont see the guest network pro features? I'm running Merlin's latest version 3004.388.6, I also have a mesh node RT-AX86 running the same version of Merlin's firmware.
The Guest Network Pro feature is only available in the 3.0.0.6.x firmware. It is not available at this time in the Asus Merlin firmware. To use Guest Network Pro on a RT-AX86U Pro you would have to flash/install the latest Asus 9.0.0.6.102.4856 Beta firmware from 2023/03/21:
https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/wireless/RT-AX86U Pro/FW_RT_AX86U_Pro_90061024856.zip?model=RT-AX86U Pro

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!