What's new

RT-AX86U - 2.4 Ghz Network is NOT working anymore (was working before)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

If the problem comes back, some of you have suggested to replace the router. In my case I have 2 of them. Which one of the 2 is the one to be replaced? How to conclude that?

I would recommission the router with minimal configuration from scratch (nothing connected but your admin PC) and if it doesn't work normally, then troubleshoot/replace that.

OE

I have removed the AX88 from mesh and configured it in AP mode. 2.4G clients connected right away.

Would that indicate that the main AX6000 has the problem? I don't understand how that works exactly, even if the main router has broken wifi chip, why would the node not connect the clients? Clients are just next to the node.

Ac86u, 2.4 is been a problem for awhile, even on my ac66u had issues I just didn't think it was a router problem, but it is.
Symptom, can connect to 2.4ghz but it has no internet access, only solution is to restart 2.4 radio or a full router reboot which I do via the router scheduler.

It's so random it's hard to know what's causing it, I thought it was the fault of the devices connecting to the routers 2.4 band but after rebooting router the "no internet Access" problem went away.

To reaffirm, there was no issues with the 2.4ghz connection to devices, the problem is they have no internet access, most of my 2.4 band devices are on static IP addresses.

I have yet to find a resolution......and it's been years, if it wasn't for Merlin's fw I would of tried some other brand of router, I actually did try pfsense years ago but my hardware then was lacking.

Actually it just happened again and I'm considering trying pfsense again or other comparable router software and making the ac86u the wifi ap and seeing if it loses the internet connection on the 2.4 band.

Last edited:
Ac86u, 2.4 is been a problem for awhile, even on my ac66u had issues I just didn't think it was a router problem, but it is.
Symptom, can connect to 2.4ghz but it has no internet access, only solution is to restart 2.4 radio or a full router reboot which I do via the router scheduler.

It's so random it's hard to know what's causing it, I thought it was the fault of the devices connecting to the routers 2.4 band but after rebooting router the "no internet Access" problem went away.

To reaffirm, there was no issues with the 2.4ghz connection to devices, the problem is they have no internet access, most of my 2.4 band devices are on static IP addresses.

I have yet to find a resolution......and it's been years, if it wasn't for Merlin's fw I would of tried some other brand of router, I actually did try pfsense years ago but my hardware then was lacking.

Actually it just happened again and I'm considering trying pfsense again or other comparable router software and making the ac86u the wifi ap and seeing if it loses the internet connection on the 2.4 band.

I'd bet the AC86U hardware is failing, like it does.

OE

I'm considering trying pfsense again

Get proper APs with VLAN support. Otherwise your configuration options will be limited. Home AIO routers don't make good APs to VLAN capable router/firewall. Budget options from Cisco, Ubiquiti, Zyxel, TP-Link, etc. start from about $100 for AX1800 class. You need PoE switch as well.

Good afternoon everyone.

Sadly, I've had the same problem as the one reported here.

My 2.4 GHz network seem to be working, but none of my devices can see it, neither, obviously, can connect to it.

The thing is that I had see some strange log entries that repeat hundred of times, and although I've search for info about them, I couldn' find a solution.

The entries are:

Code:
Apr 16 13:43:07 kernel: wl0: fatal error, reinitializing, total count of reinit's[25]
Apr 16 13:43:07 kernel: CSIMON:  CSIMON[1.1.0] Initialization
Apr 16 13:43:07 kernel: CSIMON: M2M usr already registered ...

Repeated endlessly.

I've tried some of the advices on this same thread with no luck, My 2.4 GHz SSID seems to appear a moment on my phone's Wifi networks screeen and after that, it vanishes completely.

Could someone help me to find a solution for this?

Thank you in advance.

Edit: I've tried to put up my Guest Wifi Network, which runs on 2.4 GHz too, with no results at all.

If it does the same thing on stock Asuswrt as well - it's perhaps hardware issue.

Use the link below to capture an instance of where your router/network is at now.

Update to the latest firmware available for your router (your signature is showing very old versions).

Perform a full reset to factory defaults (I suggest multiple methods: Reset, WPS methods and also via the GUI, making sure to check the 'Initialize all settings...) button too).

Do not import any old saved backup config file. Do not plug in any USB drive that has previously been used for amtm/scripts (at least, not before plugging into a PC and formatting it as NTFS).

Perform a minimal and manual configuration (see links below for the M&M Config and other guides).

Now, test. Do you see that it is the same outcome? If so, more digging needs to be performed.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!