What's new

RT-AX86U 2.5G & link aggregation

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

NickoP

Occasional Visitor
I need to establish faster than 1G connection between a PC with 2.5G port and NAS capable of link aggregation. Can someone please verify or reject the following configuration: PC to RT-AX86U through 2.5G ports, and RT-AX86U to NAS through two link-aggregated ports (which on the router)?
Thank you for the help guys.

it`s working, but, the maximum speed between PC and NAS, for each task (separately), will be a maximum of 1GB.

LAGG is beneficial mostly for two or more client devices accessing the same device (more than one PC to a LAGG connected NAS). It may also be useful as a 'failsafe' connection with the second Ethernet cable too.

Unless your NAS is also 2.5GbE enabled and you're willing to buy a switch that supports the higher connection rates, you will not achieve a faster connection to a single device as it is described right now.

You're welcome! :)

You can send @RAH-66 and me 5% of the savings each! :D

Joking! Joking! lol...

I have a NAS that has 2.5GBE ports that support link aggregation. I won't use link aggregation but with how cheap 2.5GBE switches are and how much faster you can access your content, I think it could be worth looking into that if your aggregation ports are 2.5GBE?

I was wondering about the similar question.

But this is my exact situation - maybe you can clear my mind of the issue...

MBP16 , 2019. Plug in the - 2.5 base-T - usb-c - into my Mac - connect it to the 2.5G port on AX86U.
Synology NAS 920+ Dynamic Lan Port aggregation set up on the router and NAS.

Question is - did anyone test if it is possible to have up to 2Gbps speeds in wired transfer this way to and from the NAS?

Cheers,
Max

LAGG is beneficial mostly for two or more client devices accessing the same device (more than one PC to a LAGG connected NAS). It may also be useful as a 'failsafe' connection with the second Ethernet cable too.

Unless your NAS is also 2.5GbE enabled and you're willing to buy a switch that supports the higher connection rates, you will not achieve a faster connection to a single device as it is described right now.
*Ping please*

*Ping please*
as others have already pointed out single client speeds will not increase using LAG on a NAS (it will of course help multiple clients).

If your NAS doesn't support an upgrade path to a multigig NIC (either USB or PCIe) then the better option is enabling smb3 multi-channel in SAMBA on the NAS - that will spread the load _per_client_ across multiple interfaces. Even better it requires no support on the switch - the ports on the NAS as still 'separate' each with their own IP (all the 'smarts' is done in software)

The only issue is that NAS vendors aren't using a recent enough release of samba to support multiuchannel - samba 4.13 was the first release to class smb3-mc as 'stable' (up to then it was experimental), and I know current DSM and ADM are languishing way back on samba 4.4 (don't know about the beta of DSM7 nor Qnap's new QuTS). Hopefully things are a lot more current on opensource systems like TrueNAS

You can still hack current samba onto your NAS if it supports something like entware - but obviously that requires decent unix/shell knowledge and isn't for the faint hearted (I've got a 2-bay asustor with dual 2.5gbe ports here, running current samba via entware and talking to a 10gbe card in my desktop - can hit low/mid 300s on sustained read/writes, which is the limit of the raid0 array)

Hello everyone

I have a rt-ax88u(asus Merlin 386.1.2 and i would like to do the same that @NickoP

my first question can i see if my link aggregation working with my tp-link switch (T1600G-28TS)

i know that my synology and my switch working with link aggregation

but with my asus i can see if they work

i try with port (1 and 2) from the information in Asus merlin screen, and with (3 and 4) i Try This from the Link https://github.com/RMerl/asuswrt-merlin.ng/wiki/Link-Aggregation

1614621790827.png
1614621834168.png

Thank you everyone

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!