What's new

RT-AX86U 2.5Gbps Port WAN Only?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ChitlinNoodleSoup

Occasional Visitor
I've had people elsewhere tell me that the 2.5Gbps port on this router should work as a LAN port if not explicitly told to function as a WAN port. I have tried using it as a LAN port but connecting anything to this port causes the internet to go down and it requires a reboot to bring it back up.

Can anyone confirm this one way or the other? Thanks.

Yes, one of the first things I tried (to QNAP NAS with 25' Cat5e Ethernet cable), about 18 months ago.

I've had people elsewhere tell me that the 2.5Gbps port on this router should work as a LAN port if not explicitly told to function as a WAN port. I have tried using it as a LAN port but connecting anything to this port causes the internet to go down and it requires a reboot to bring it back up.

Can anyone confirm this one way or the other? Thanks.

2.5G LAN/WAN defaults to working LAN port5 here.

Also works as WAN port; default WAN/Internet then becomes LAN port5.

OE

Did you have to do anything in the router settings to make this work?

No, as @OzarkEdge alludes to also.

Other than making sure I did a full reset after flashing to RMerlin firmware and then not using a saved backup config file.

Even when you don't need the higher throughput, you benefit from lower latency. ;)

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!