What's new

RT-AX86U & 2 x RT-AX92U = terrible wifi performance

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Pauluk

Occasional Visitor
Hi All

So i`ve had an AX86U for a year, get a good 500-600Mb/sec speedtest around most of the ground floor. Wanted to improve this to upstairs and outside. So purchased 2 x RT-AX86U ai mesh devices, connected them via an ethernet backhaul. One downstairs and the other upstairs. But i`m only
seeing around 100-150Mb/sec from these. And also lots of connection issues, having to keep reloading webpages,etc for them to display. If i switch them off then things improve. I`ve tried different areas, and different ethernet cables (all cat6).
The aimesh interface says i have excellent connection but it just seems something is causing connection issues.

ISP Modem - Connected to WAN on AX86U
AX86U - Connected to upstairs 2.5gb unmanaged switched via 2.5gb port.
upstairs AX92U - connected to 2.5gb unmanaged switched via Cat6 cable.
downstairs AX92U - connected to AX86U via 1gb managed switch.

Any ideas? Before i send them back.

Thanks in advance
Any ideas? Before i send them back.

Thanks in advance

Take the switches out of the mesh. Especially the managed switch. Direct connect the mesh nodes to the router LAN ports. The 2.5 GB to 2.5 GB should be OK. But use default WIFI settings including SmartConnect and auto channel. May be best to reset all and manually configure. Use latest Asus firmware!

Are they stacked on top of each other?

AiMesh Ideal Placement

They shouldn't be.

How big is your home in SqFt?

What speeds do you get right now on the other floors with the main router?

What are your ISP paid for speeds (up/down)?

Depending on your answers above (and probably even then...) I would return these ASAP.

Are they stacked on top of each other?

AiMesh Ideal Placement

They shouldn't be.

How big is your home in SqFt?

About 2000 sqFt over 3 floors.

What speeds do you get right now on the other floors with the main router?

Router is on ground level. Get about 600mb/s , then next floor up about 200mb/sec , then top floor around 0-50mb/sec depending.

What are your ISP paid for speeds (up/down)?

600mb down / 50mb up

Depending on your answers above (and probably even then...) I would return these ASAP.

I have some old ac2600 mesh wifi pods, three of them. And they do a better coverage job, not as fast as the Asus but still around about 180Mb/sec over all floors.

Thanks

Take the switches out of the mesh. Especially the managed switch. Direct connect the mesh nodes to the router LAN ports. The 2.5 GB to 2.5 GB should be OK. But use default WIFI settings including SmartConnect and auto channel. May be best to reset all and manually configure. Use latest Asus firmware!
thanks, tried that. I even just put one mesh pod in the floor above and even standing in the same room only getting about 80Mb/sec. The router by itself gives me 400Mb/sec from downstairs. My old mesh system gives me 140Mb/sec going through the switch. So something definitely up somewhere.

You missed answering the first question.

Why isn't the main router on the second floor, with your wired connections? I hope you didn't make the mistake of only doing one Ethernet run per room.

You missed answering the first question.

Why isn't the main router on the second floor, with your wired connections? I hope you didn't make the mistake of only doing one Ethernet run per room.
It will be upstairs from next week when I get our new fttp connection. Think that’ll fix the problems?

Thanks this fixed the issue. Went directly from the router to the mesh device and then the mesh to the switch.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!