What's new

Release RT-AX86U 386.45934

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

bbunge

Part of the Furniture
Firmware version 3.0.0.4.386_45934
- Release Note -

Bug Fixes and Enhancements:
1. Fixed Let's encrypt related bugs.
2. Fixed httpd vulnerability
3. Fixed stack overflow vulnerability
4. Fixed DoS vulnerability

Not sure what is going on, but after installation this completely borked my aimesh setup. I can't even get the Ethernet over the 2.5g port show a link light......worked fine before the update.

Not sure what is going on, but after installation this completely borked my aimesh setup. I can't even get the Ethernet over the 2.5g port show a link light......worked fine before the update.
There have been cases where Asus did a release and pulled it soon thereafter. There are no links to this firmware at this time on the Asus support sites I have checked. However, my AX86U is working well. I do not have AiMesh set up right now.

There have been cases where Asus did a release and pulled it soon thereafter. There are no links to this firmware at this time on the Asus support sites I have checked. However, my AX86U is working well. I do not have AiMesh set up right now.
So wierd. Must have just been coincidental. Traced the problem to a bad rj45 connector. Replaced it and now everything is working.

So wierd it was working until I did the upgrade.

So wierd. Must have just been coincidental. Traced the problem to a bad rj45 connector. Replaced it and now everything is working.

So wierd it was working until I did the upgrade.
Gremlins?

Still no links to download the new firmware...

Look under Windows 11 64 bit.
1636690017935.png

I can't fathom why Windows 7 64 and Windows 11 64 has the update and AGAIN Windows 10 64 is skipped.

This is a chronic problem. All Releases should be made in one fell swoop, at the same time, not piecemeal.

Someone at ASUS must have a personal axe to grind with Windows 10. But it's just plain unprofessional.
There is no slight for your poor old Windows 10. Asus is trying its best to let customers know there OS is supported. However, Windows is Windows and there is no difference in the firmware used with routers connecting to XP or 11. I'm sure the recovery tool is the same for all Windows versions, too.
Don't worry. Just use the app to upgrade or the Asus GUI with your favorite web browser. Better yet turn on Auto Upgrades and forget about it.

Yes, as @bbunge indicates, the firmware doesn't run on your computer's OS, it is independent of it.

Just find the latest firmware (regardless of where it is currently categorized by Asus (it takes time to update all links...)), and use it.

Or perhaps Asus should just update their website to eliminate all references to versions and/or OS in the situations when and where it is absolutely not applicable, such as BIOS/firmware updates.

updated, seems to be working fine with virgin media hub. no other routers connected.

Doesn't seem to be a lot of action with this firmware here, but I've also flashed it and reset, and things seem fine so far. Just to check it out, took down the ZenWiFi AX in AP mode that I was using with it, and now just the RT-AX86U with the new firmware. So far so good.

There is no slight for your poor old Windows 10. Asus is trying its best to let customers know there OS is supported. However, Windows is Windows and there is no difference in the firmware used with routers connecting to XP or 11. I'm sure the recovery tool is the same for all Windows versions, too.
Don't worry. Just use the app to upgrade or the Asus GUI with your favorite web browser. Better yet turn on Auto Upgrades and forget about it.
Yes, as @bbunge indicates, the firmware doesn't run on your computer's OS, it is independent of it.

Just find the latest firmware (regardless of where it is currently categorized by Asus (it takes time to update all links...)), and use it.

So basically the selection of an OS is superfluous and ASUS needs to remove it.

So basically the selection of an OS is superfluous and ASUS needs to remove it.
Yes it is. But there are a host of folks that do not know that Windows is Windows and what will run on XP will run on 11.

However, the trend is for "everyone" to do things on their phone and there is a difference between Android and iOS.

Speaking of the Android app... I noticed after I did the upgrade to this FW version that the Asus app had the ability to save router settings. So, I saved the settings after the FW upgrade. Yesterday I fumble fingered something in the router settings, from Firefox, and had to do a hard factory reset. So, I figured that the most recent settings were in the Asus app on my tablet so I did a restore. Voila! Back in operation!!! Did not restore my custom client icons but I used the Android app to set those up again.

Yes, the OS selection is superfluous, for router firmware today. But just like 'writing' should be aimed at a Grade 8 level, to reach the widest audience, having those drop-down lists make it easier for mere users (vs. enthusiasts) to be comfortable with their selection.

For everyone beyond mere 'user' status, it is easy to learn (once) that that OS means little and it's easy to check them all if required.

That's 4 votes for a redesign. (the church lady, "Isn't that special")

Should look like:

Windows, (all versions):
iOS:
Android:

Windows, iOS, Android aren't proper either.

It should look like Firmware (period). But you're preaching to the choir here. Give Asus the feedback instead.

But knowing how other downloads they offer need to conform to the OS in use, I doubt they'll listen. Their market is much broader than our little corner of it.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!