What's new

RT-AX86U Config Recommendations

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I'm curious about enabling DoS protection too. If enabling it increases CPU load as claimed, why would a home user enable it? I can understand why the NYTimes or Amazon may be subjected to Denial of Service attacks, but any one of the millions of home network users?

I'm not a network tech, so I fully understand I may be missing some benefit to enabling DoS on a home network. So any advice appreciated.

Thanks.
No noticeable load increase with DoS protection enabled. Why should you enable it? Why not...

I’m on the latest Merlin FW AX86U and would be interested in best settings also.
Latest stable or latest beta? Specific version, please.

After flashing RMerlin firmware from stock (or, vice-versa), a full reset to factory defaults is always suggested.

[Wireless] ASUS router Hard Factory Reset | Official Support | ASUS Global

Be sure you properly follow the instructions for your model specifically in the link above.

After the router has been fully reset, the following best practices are helpful to get the router to a good/known state where it is stable and performs as should be expected.

Fully Reset / Best Practice Setup / More

The following links may also make for useful, further reading (if and when required).

About L&LD

Almost all L&LD Links

HTH

After flashing RMerlin firmware from stock (or, vice-versa), a full reset to factory defaults is always suggested.

[Wireless] ASUS router Hard Factory Reset | Official Support | ASUS Global

Be sure you properly follow the instructions for your model specifically in the link above.

After the router has been fully reset, the following best practices are helpful to get the router to a good/known state where it is stable and performs as should be expected.

Fully Reset / Best Practice Setup / More

The following links may also make for useful, further reading (if and when required).

About L&LD

Almost all L&LD Links

HTH
Thank you for such a detailed explanation. I noticed one or two possible errors on my end after reading your information.

I noticed on the ASUS link for resetting to factory defaults it recommends holding the WPS button for the Ax86u. When I did my reset I held the reset button down for 5 seconds. Did I complete the same task? I did get a setup wizard after my method.

lastly I noticed you stated to bypass setup wizard to Check the 'Initialize all the settings Click on the 'Restore' button beside it. Does this not apply to my situation? Because after my default reset I used setup wizard with same SSID.

After I did the default reset I used a few of your settings. Preamble short, disable wps, wps button to radio toggle, Disable Universal Beamforming, not sure about using Aiprotection or QOS.

If the setup wizard came up, the router was reset (to what degree, we don't know). Best to use the method recommended (you may have used the same method, unknowingly).

Performing a full reset via the GUI is suggested for especially stubborn issues (and the router is only superficially reset). If your router/network is working as expected right now, I wouldn't worry about it. But keep it in mind (as something to do in the future), if the router/network stability degrades in the next few days/weeks.

AiProtection and/or QoS are available to use as needed and required. QoS also depends on your ISP speeds too (both up and down).

Keep in mind that toggling features on/off isn't the same as leaving them at their defaults after a full reset (some settings do not toggle 'back', and another full reset may be needed).

If the setup wizard came up, the router was reset (to what degree, we don't know). Best to use the method recommended (you may have used the same method, unknowingly).

Performing a full reset via the GUI is suggested for especially stubborn issues (and the router is only superficially reset). If your router/network is working as expected right now, I wouldn't worry about it. But keep it in mind (as something to do in the future), if the router/network stability degrades in the next few days/weeks.

AiProtection and/or QoS are available to use as needed and required. QoS also depends on your ISP speeds too (both up and down).

Keep in mind that toggling features on/off isn't the same as leaving them at their defaults after a full reset (some settings do not toggle 'back', and another full reset may be needed).
Thank you for the detailed quick reply. I average 400/30 connection speeds. Mostly game on ps5 only. From the setting I did use of yours do you recommend another default reset to establish them or are those specific settings updated with a simply multiple reboot.

You're welcome.

Sorry, I don't understand your last question/sentence though. :(

You're welcome.

Sorry, I don't understand your last question/sentence though. :(
My apologies, you stated Keep in mind that toggling features on/off isn't the same as leaving them at their defaults after a full reset (some settings do not toggle 'back', and another full reset may be needed).

I guess where I’m conflicted is wether or not a default factory reset is necessary after turning on settings. For example preamble short…would a reboot apply that setting or would a DFR be required?

Factory reset or Hard Factory Reset, https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1039074/, is required if you change firmware (Asus to Merlin or Merlin to Asus).

Or if you really hose something up.

Factory or Hard reset is not needed with a firmware upgrade or settings change

Note: https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1039074/

Also, if you do not need all the Merlin features the Asus firmware is great! I feel it performs better for me than Merlin.

I'm curious about enabling DoS protection too. If enabling it increases CPU load as claimed, why would a home user enable it? I can understand why the NYTimes or Amazon may be subjected to Denial of Service attacks, but any one of the millions of home network users?

I'm not a network tech, so I fully understand I may be missing some benefit to enabling DoS on a home network. So any advice appreciated.

Thanks.

Leave the default setting unless required otherwise.

OE

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!