What's new

RT-AX86U cooling fans

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

The 'same company' that just 9 short years ago unleashed the RT-N66U on the world. They know their products by now. :)
I have RT-N66Us that I deployed in a business environment eight years ago that have been running 24/7 and I only reboot them once ever year or two when I update the firmware. Those same routers are still running today... and RMerlin firmware has practically become a household name among many consumer router users as the legend continues on.

Just to follow up this question I would like to report my case.

I am using RT-AC68U for about ten years very heavily: HDD, usb-drive with swap and entware, custom scripts etc.
Last summer it was very hot and I observed CPU temperature about 95C.
Anyway - the router still works excellent.
I understand I need to move further so I bought RT-AX86U. And of course I found a lot of "customization" in the view of cooling.
Some of them are really piece of crap and a way to use one USB port for nothing (as power supply).
Some of them are quite stupid - just look at your router, there is no holes at upper right section, so the right fan is pretty useless.
Some are not - all fans are placed where they use to be.
But I still think the router does not need them: it is just a noise and unnecessary cooling. Moreover it shoul work all the time because I really think the router is more damged during temparature change ratrher than simply constant - but high temperture.

It would be interesting to see other opinions - but with technical explanation, not emotions.

Last edited:
Hmm even though I like almost any kind of cooling :) it seems that that AX86U has an okay cooling, the temps are not high at all, so not sure if any cooling mod is needed.
Good luck.

If people are still looking for these, I did just stumble across a Chinese site selling several different versions of the fan you linked to originally. I went with the black USB powered version and it has built in screens to prevent dust from blowing into the router.

UPDATE: They're a little pricey and it took them almost 3 months to get to me, but they are incredibly quiet and did take the CPU temperature down considerably (75°C/165°F to 49°C/120°F). If this ends up prolonging the life of my $200+ router then I think it is worth it.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!