What's new

Rt-ax86U disconnects frequently

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Resetting seems to help. I was having continuous problems until I reset this morning and changed the settings again. The problem with doing this is, I have to reconnect all the devices again - the Roku TVs(didn't have to do this with the Firestick) and the laptops.

Generally speaking, if you re-configure the router wireless with the previous SSIDs and passwords, clients should connect on their own with their saved connections.

That said, if a wireless client presents connection trouble, it sometimes helps to delete its saved connection and recreate it to start fresh.

Another troubleshooting school of thought is to not reuse SSIDs, but I have never had a need to adopt that practice... I reuse my preferred SSID names.

OE

Generally speaking, if you re-configure the router wireless with the previous SSIDs and passwords, clients should connect on their own with their saved connections.

That said, if a wireless client presents connection trouble, it sometimes helps to delete its saved connection and recreate it to start fresh.

Another troubleshooting school of thought is to not reuse SSIDs, but I have never had a need to adopt that practice... I reuse my preferred SSID names.

OE
Also, I attributed my disconnections to my wireless card driver issue a couple of weeks ago. The most recent issue I had where I was encountering interference - I am wondering if it was a Roku TV.

OE - You had asked me to check on this 2 weeks ago and I missed it. I disabled the device connect on the Roku TV. Didn't realize how widespread that issue was until I looked up how to disable the possible wireless interference

After almost two weeks, the disconnects have started happening again. This is after making all of the above setting changes. I also rebooted the cable modem in anticipation of this problem happening again.

The particular issue I am having now is - I am connected to a work laptop(Windows 10- I already updated the driver for the intel wireless card) and it keeps disconnecting. The problem also seems to happen when I access a website from a different device - my Samsung S9.

This has been going on since I bought the router. 2 weeks - works great after a reset and then causes issues. Does this mean I have to reset every two weeks? When I reset, I seem to have to connect some of the devices again - ex: Roku TV, Windows laptops, etc.

Thanks.

If you have seen my posts over the last couple of months, I have tried every little thing recommended here to get the random drops fixed. Unbelievable how this Router can be recommended even with all these connection issues for this many people. Alas, I am past the return period. I am left with a piece of junk router at home. Still, time to cut my losses and go to either TP Link or some other router. Can't believe I wasted so much time to get this fixed.
Advice to people looking for a router FWIW- do not buy an ASUS router until the company gets its problems fixed. This is just not a reliable enough router if you work remotely.

If you have seen my posts over the last couple of months, I have tried every little thing recommended here to get the random drops fixed. Unbelievable how this Router can be recommended even with all these connection issues for this many people. Alas, I am past the return period. I am left with a piece of junk router at home. Still, time to cut my losses and go to either TP Link or some other router. Can't believe I wasted so much time to get this fixed.
Advice to people looking for a router FWIW- do not buy an ASUS router until the company gets its problems fixed. This is just not a reliable enough router if you work remotely.
Just to add another perspective. I bought my RT-AX86U a few months ago and it's been running fine. After the initial setup, I haven't had to really touch it. No reboots required to correct issues like my old router. A few folks have reported recurring issues which haven't been diagnosed. Perhaps I'm lucky but it's working out great for me.

The logs below...
Mar 23 15:00:43 kernel: httpd (1580): drop_caches: 1
Mar 23 11:39:46 hostapd: eth6: STA c8:58:c0:dd:ef:4b WPA: group key handshake completed (RSN)
Mar 23 11:39:46 hostapd: eth6: STA 7c:61:66:fb:87:f1 WPA: group key handshake completed (RSN)
Mar 23 11:39:46 hostapd: eth6: STA d0:25:98:c0:21:27 WPA: group key handshake completed (RSN)
Mar 23 11:39:46 hostapd: eth6: STA 18:74:2e:b4:68:5b WPA: group key handshake completed (RSN)
Mar 23 11:39:46 hostapd: eth6: STA c8:6c:3d:a2:73:49 WPA: group key handshake completed (RSN)
Mar 23 11:39:46 hostapd: eth6: STA 7c:27:bc:b0:63:9b WPA: group key handshake completed (RSN)
Mar 23 11:39:46 hostapd: eth6: STA 8e:af:72:fb:9f:a6 WPA: group key handshake completed (RSN)
Mar 23 11:39:46 hostapd: eth7: STA 98:2c:bc:26:32:e3 WPA: group key handshake completed (RSN)
Mar 23 11:39:47 hostapd: eth7: STA a6:e6:56:29:e2:83 WPA: group key handshake completed (RSN)
Mar 23 11:39:47 hostapd: eth6: STA 86:9c:8a:44:b6:e9 WPA: group key handshake completed (RSN)
Mar 23 15:51:34 kernel: httpd (1580): drop_caches: 1
Mar 23 12:23:03 dnsmasq-dhcp[1559]: DHCPREQUEST(br0) 192.168.50.103 86:9c:8a:44:b6:e9
Mar 23 12:23:03 dnsmasq-dhcp[1559]: DHCPACK(br0) 192.168.50.103 86:9c:8a:44:b6:e9
Mar 23 16:23:44 kernel: httpd (1580): drop_caches: 1
Mar 23 12:39:46 hostapd: eth6: STA c8:58:c0:dd:ef:4b WPA: group key handshake completed (RSN)
Mar 23 12:39:46 hostapd: eth6: STA 18:74:2e:b4:68:5b WPA: group key handshake completed (RSN)
Mar 23 12:39:46 hostapd: eth6: STA 7c:61:66:fb:87:f1 WPA: group key handshake completed (RSN)
Mar 23 12:39:46 hostapd: eth7: STA 98:2c:bc:26:32:e3 WPA: group key handshake completed (RSN)
Mar 23 12:39:46 hostapd: eth6: STA 7c:27:bc:b0:63:9b WPA: group key handshake completed (RSN)
Mar 23 12:39:46 hostapd: eth6: STA c8:6c:3d:a2:73:49 WPA: group key handshake completed (RSN)
Mar 23 12:39:46 hostapd: eth7: STA a6:e6:56:29:e2:83 WPA: group key handshake completed (RSN)
Mar 23 12:39:47 hostapd: eth6: STA 86:9c:8a:44:b6:e9 WPA: group key handshake completed (RSN)
Mar 23 12:39:47 hostapd: eth6: STA 8e:af:72:fb:9f:a6 WPA: group key handshake completed (RSN)
Mar 23 12:39:47 hostapd: eth6: STA d0:25:98:c0:21:27 WPA: group key handshake completed (RSN)
Mar 23 17:25:06 kernel: httpd (1580): drop_caches: 1
Mar 23 17:38:00 kernel: httpd (1580): drop_caches: 1
I have similar entries in my logs. To my knowledge it only means that the Group Key Rotation Interval of one hour (3600) is working as configured. It causes no problems here. Am I missing something?

Mine stays up without issues. My longest uptime is 118 days in between firmware updates. I have about 18 wireless clients with 12-14 connections at any given time.

I have similar entries in my logs. To my knowledge it only means that the Group Key Rotation Interval of one hour (3600) is working as configured. It causes no problems here. Am I missing something?
Just posted the logs to see if anyone sees something that I am missing in the logs. If you don't see any issues, it means the disconnections are still unexplained. Thanks.

@pb9 I have been reading your other thread about your issue, I wish I had the knowledge to fix it. I have the same router as you, and it is honestly the most stable router I have ever owned.
I find your case very strange, as I happily use 160mhz and DFS channels, and suffer no disconnections anywhere, and I have over 50 devices.

Reading your thread, and I am only guessing here, it looks like you may be suffering some kind of strange wifi interference. All kinds of devices can cause this ; wireless phones, microwaves, wireless speakers, baby alarms etc.
Or perhaps there is a cable issue, or corrupted or incorrectly set up firmware. It could even be driver issues on your computers as you mention. Windows has a habit of updating wifi drivers to ones that it thinks are better but they are not for example. I stop my intel AX card updating automatically in view of this. There is also a possibility you just got a duff device, this does happen and should be RMAd if this is the case. This is all speculation of course based on limited information.

You also need to provide more information than minimal log cut and pastes.

I do not think making a blanket "do not buy this router" thread is going to help your cause, as there are 100s of people on this forum who very sucessfully use that router, it is, the most recommended and most popular router on this forum in fact.

That said I understand your desperation on trying to get it to work (as it should) I think you should try starting again from fresh.
In view of this I'm going to try to invoke a few gods of the forum who may be able to run through how to fully reset, update the firmware and set up the wireless for you, hopefully getting rid of your issues.

@L&LD @SomeWhereOverTheRainBow @ColinTaylor @Tech9 @thiggins, If you would be so kind as to look at this thread https://www.snbforums.com/threads/rt-ax86u-disconnects-frequently.77815/page-2#post-753133 and offer your advice maybe you can get this guy up and running.

@pb9 please be patient you have some real expertise on this now.

Thanks

edit: Thanks Tim for merging.

Last edited:
Just posted the logs to see if anyone sees something that I am missing in the logs. If you don't see any issues, it means the disconnections are still unexplained. Thanks.
Sure. I am not on the level of many on this forum. Just chiming in with what I recognize.

Out of curiosity, have you tried running a Wi-Fi analyzer, like the one I have on my android phone, to see what competing signals exist in your Wi-Fi environment? Might not help but it's something I've done as part of a standard diagnosis approach for a long time now. That's how I discovered that xfinity was cranking out a competing Wi-Fi signal from the device which I rent from them. That was something of a surprise and I was able to stop that from happening.

Given the number of users who seem to have no issues w/ the RT-AX86U, I have to believe your own problems are unique to you, and due to either a) having a unique combination of configuration options and addons that are triggering an as yet unidentified problem, b) some incompatibility between your ISP's hardware and the router, or c) you just have a lemon.

If you consider the following thread ...

... you'll find someone who spent countless MONTHS dealing w/ the RT-AC86U, to the point of trying a second router of the same model. Nothing worked until switching to the RT-AX86U. Yet, many users have no issues w/ the RT-AC86U.

I just have to believe that sometimes, for reasons unknown, a certain combination of router + firmware + configuration + ISP is going to be problematic, and you just have to move on to other options. IOW, it just happens from time to time. It's part of the price of dealing w/ technology. It's imperfect.

I assume it still functions well as an AP. Worst case, dump it on eBay (or wherever), AS-IS, and make it clear that for YOU it didn't work out. IOW, be honest about it. I'm sure there are plenty of users who would gamble and be willing to pay a good price for that router regardless of your own stated problems.

Last edited:
Have you tried installing the very latest Merlin, and performing a full factory reset? Then not changing any settings at all, and not having separate 2.4 and 5 networks, with smart connect on. (I know people say have separate ones, but I never have and my devices roam between the two just fine)

Also installing the latest intel wifi driver from their website for the laptop and blocking windows from updating that driver automatically?

Then maybe just try the main devices you use, while adding other devices to the network slowly over the next months?

Appreciate all the efforts to get my problem fixed. I ran out of patience because it is work related also. I don't mind buffering for a few seconds when I am streaming, etc. Anyway, thanks for trying to help.

My devices -
1)Roku TV - I turned off the device connect
2)3 Fire TVs - no issues with connections to these
3)4 laptops - all windows. Work laptop(Windows 10, Wireless driver updated) is the one with the most noticeable issue
4)5 IPhones - when I navigate to a website on my Iphone - sometimes seems to cause brief stutter/disconnects in the Windows Laptop connections
5)Galaxy S9 - when I navigate to a website, seems to cause disconnections sometimes
6)Two Echo dots - No issues with these
7)Canon MF210 printer - it is rarely on

Except the FireTV and Echo dots and samsung S9, when I do a reset, I have to reconnect all the devices.

Not all the Laptops are on at the same time. 2 at most are on at the same time.
I disabled 160 MHz, QoS and Guest network.

Have not tried Merlin yet. Use the stock ASUS software with the settings I detailed earlier in the thread.

The problem is, the router seems to work fantastic for about 10 to 12 days before developing the disconnect issue.

Then when I do a reset, I seem to be able to work for 10 days ok again but I have to reconnect all the devices.

I realize there is an interference coming in from somewhere. Not sure where. I used the WiFi Analyzer app and use the suggested channels. I live in a neighborhood where the homes are far apart and not really much interference

I have a Spectrum Modem(not router- edited) and I changed a setting on the router(AX86U) from "Aggressive" to "Normal" as recommended in some other thread.

For the last day or so, I have switched my work laptop to 5GHz. Still experienced a couple of disconnects but was much better than 2.4GHz. Previously both 2.4 and 5 had disconnect issues the same level. So it seems completely random and driving me crazy

Last edited:
For what it's worth i'm using the latest Merlin, and I am finding it the best firmware ever made thus far.

https://sourceforge.net/projects/asuswrt-merlin/files/RT-AX86U/Release/ (386.5_2)

I am still wondering if you might be better off using smart connect and having it all on one ssid (like I do) the laptops and phones will be free to roam to whatever they think is best then, rather than having 1 ssid for each frequency. I know this is against what some say but it just works.

I would still advise, latest Merlin firmware, reboot manually, full factory reset, 1 ssid, leaving all settings alone and testing that for a while. Then make additonal tweaks if all good.

Have a look HERE it has @L&LD guides on full resets and firmwares.

I feel your pain, and hope you get to the bottom of this.

Trust me when you get this right the AX86U is a beast of a router.

For what it's worth i'm using the latest Merlin, and I am finding it the best firmware ever made thus far.

https://sourceforge.net/projects/asuswrt-merlin/files/RT-AX86U/Release/ (386.5_2)

I am still wondering if you might be better off using smart connect and having it all on one ssid (like I do) the laptops and phones will be free to roam to whatever they think is best then, rather than having 1 ssid for each frequency. I know this is against what some say but it just works.

I would still advise, latest Merlin firmware, reboot manually, full factory reset, 1 ssid, leaving all settings alone and testing that for a while. Then make additonal tweaks if all good.

Have a look HERE it has @L&LD guides on full resets and firmwares.

I feel your pain, and hope you get to the bottom of this.

Trust me when you get this right the AX86U is a beast of a router.
Ok. I took your advice and flashed to 386.5_2. Also, did a factory reset and have the smart connect turned on. QoS remains off. WPS is off. In WAN/Internet Settings - changed DHCP query frequency to "Normal" from "Aggressive". I will give y'all an update on how it goes. Thanks for all your help again.

Ok. I took your advice and flashed to 386.5_2. Also, did a factory reset and have the smart connect turned on. QoS remains off. WPS is off. In WAN/Internet Settings - changed DHCP query frequency to "Normal" from "Aggressive". I will give y'all an update on how it goes. Thanks for all your help again.
Fingers crossed.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!